Have your feelings changed?

That would be a great way to earn trust with a young team. Rip them a new one. I'm sure they would just love it and give their all for someone they have barely met. SMDH You have to build trust and relationships first and foremost. When you do that, they will play hard for you. Women are much different than men in this regard.

I thought it was substantial showing of coaching toughness that she benched Key.

Also, I read a story a while back in which a player was quoted as saying that Kellie is a "hard" coach, and that she's regularly saying, "On the line!" for sprints when they need a little wake-up call. She may not LOOK like she's being tough in games, but I don't think any of the players would describe her as too soft.

I did not watch the game live but watched the replay of it. Kellie will need to make a decision on how and when to use Lou Brown, i know some will say she has played well and yes she has. But remember we have not played any top teams yet other then ND and they are not that good right now. When we play theses teams who do you match her up against. ? Watching her it is clear like the game announcers said that big knee brace is a problem.

This is what Kellie has to say about Lou, very high praise.

On Lou Brown's playing affecting others on the team:

"Lou Brown consistently has the highest plus minus stats on the team. When Lou is in the game, her team plays well. Sometimes it's not about making shots; sometimes it's about giving your teammate confidence. Maybe it's spacing. Maybe it's giving a teammate some help. Lou makes us better. I am happy for her that she's getting to play and that she's confident out there. It's the little things with her. She's positive, she understands what we're doing, and she understands the game. She doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and it's showing."

This is what Kellie has to say about Lou, very high praise.

On Lou Brown's playing affecting others on the team:

"Lou Brown consistently has the highest plus minus stats on the team. When Lou is in the game, her team plays well. Sometimes it's not about making shots; sometimes it's about giving your teammate confidence. Maybe it's spacing. Maybe it's giving a teammate some help. Lou makes us better. I am happy for her that she's getting to play and that she's confident out there. It's the little things with her. She's positive, she understands what we're doing, and she understands the game. She doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and it's showing."

I have no disagreement with what you have said. I just think she will be in a very difficult situation when we play a team like Stanford, SC , Miss St, UConn who will she guard ? remember she has a brace that limits her movement. I just think when we play teams like the 4 i said we will need to be at our best inside and out or we will get blown out.

I have no disagreement with what you have said. I just think she will be in a very difficult situation when we play a team like Stanford, SC , Miss St, UConn who will she guard ? remember she has a brace that limits her movement. I just think when we play teams like the 4 i said we will need to be at our best inside and out or we will get blown out.

I understand what you’re saying, but as Kellie said, “When
Lou is in the game, her team plays well.”

I understand what you’re saying, but as Kellie said, “When
Lou is in the game, her team plays well.”

I don`t disagree but like i said cupcake city will be running out soon and then it will be all about the match ups you think ?

It's too early. CHW's teams always peaked early (usually due to talent advantage) and faded late (usually due to coaching). Let's see a full season before making any definitive statements....

Agree

That would be a great way to earn trust with a young team. Rip them a new one. I'm sure they would just love it and give their all for someone they have barely met. SMDH You have to build trust and relationships first and foremost. When you do that, they will play hard for you. Women are much different than men in this regard.

Wow...put beautifully!
I have an even higher respect for you O M...
You get it!

1574287627542.png

Yeah - people are really gonna want to give their all to someone who's done nothing but yell and bitch at them. When you make someone who you know cares about you, and gives a damn, disappointed it hits HOME a lot harder than disappointing someone you don't care about.

The best way to make criticism effective is to make sure the person you're criticizing cares about your opinion in the first place.

We will know a bit more after the Texas game. I know Texas is not well coached, but like Holly’s teams with talent, sometimes they played well against tougher competition.

I looked at Texas schedule and a game I will watch is when they play NC State in Hawaii a week before they play the lady Vols.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I'm still cautiously optimistic, being an enthusiastic Kellie advocate for a while. We were thrilled when everything fell into place (the Sweet Sixteen run and midseason surge) for her to be considered. Still, this is a work in progress, and we have to be patient and give both the coaching of our current players and the recruiting to gel.

I gave Allenfan1 and Volfan2012 "likes" in appreciation of their thoughtful analysis even after hesitating due to allen's comments about time outs (fair criticism) and toughness (only the team knows). The responses have been good, and the pudding proof will show with the on-court results. It seems that Kellie has their respect and gets her point across when she needs to. Lou's comment about "We love our coaches" sounded like sincere admiration (similar to Kellie's last team who believed in the staff). Hopefully, there will be no need to test the staff's discipline, as these girls seem to be focused on enjoying the game and being good teammates. Kellie's comment that "I don't do drama" may help discourage any nonsense.

Anyway, enjoying the discussion and appears everyone is being supportive and trying to be positive even when expressing reservations. It's great to be discussing actual basketball after the past few seasons. The forum was just depressing to visit then, and now it's back to lively, spirited conversations.

I like KJH. She's very likable. She's obviously pretty (not that it matters...just sayin')..and has a nice demeanor. I think she'll be tough enough with the team. I notice her former team Missouri State is doing really well. Beat Oklahoma...and only lost by 11 to 7th ranked Oregon State I believe. If those are Kellie's recruits doing that then it's a good sign. Not sure. I would guess those ladies aren't all freshmen.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
View attachment 239532

Yeah - people are really gonna want to give their all to someone who's done nothing but yell and bitch at them. When you make someone who you know cares about you, and gives a damn, disappointed it hits HOME a lot harder than disappointing someone you don't care about.

The best way to make criticism effective is to make sure the person you're criticizing cares about your opinion in the first place.

Glad to give your first post a like, excellent post, and welcome.

I liked having Kellie from the start, personally. Whether or not things will work out in the long run...that remains to be seen. I'm optimistic though about this program. When Kellie did her welcoming conference, I saw flashes of Pat Summitt. Yesterday, during the game, they played that video about Kellie during college under Summitt. And how she told Pat that she wanted to try her hand at coaching. You couldn't ask for a better mentor or someone you could look up to. I know they aren't the same, but I was thinking maybe Kellie just needed to be in the right place at the right time to blossom as a coach. I think that place is here and the time is now. I see her doing good things here, it just...feels right to me that she's here. For her first year here, she inherited some good talent. It may not end up being the greatest season, but I expect things will improve. Though there is no reason this team that we have right now can't do big things.

I know it is early and to many we haven’t played anyone, but I was wondering has your feelings changed about what this team can be this year and how Kellie will do as coach of this program.

List your Pros and Cons!

Being honest, no. Just as you mentioned it is early and Notre Dame has clearly taken a big step back. Holly started scheduling mostly weak competition in the preseason or so she thought to pad the wins. I lost my love of Lady Vols basketball during the Holly era. It will take a lot for me. I think this team still lacks quickness and outside shooting. They seem to be playing hard and they are tall.

I will read this thread to figure out why I'm wrong.

Honestly the past couple of years we have looked good through December, and then when the SEC started we were like a different team. Would love to check our record through December the past 2-3 years. Seems like we were undefeated in one of them!
Hopefully this year we won’t hit our peak so early!

I know it is early and to many we haven’t played anyone, but I was wondering has your feelings changed about what this team can be this year and how Kellie will do as coach of this program.

List your Pros and Cons!
I thought we would be terrible and I had very little faith in Kellie. I can honestly say that I have been pleasantly surprised. She definitely demands a lot of her team and she has their respect. One of my biggest fears would be her ability to recruit. I still have my doubts that she can land the big recruits, however, if we win they will come!

Oh my gosh! We must have been having the same thoughts this morning, and I was obviously still writing mine while you were posting yours. lol

As you already know, I am all-in with this team and staff. :D
Yes we are and yes I am all in as well! I see a lot of promise from the staff and team and everyone has the same agenda! I think great things are ahead for our program! I am super excited!

List your Pros and Cons!

Coach Harper is exactly what this program needed. About three games back the LV had 27 turnovers. The next game it was down to 19 and in the last game is was down to 13. Obviously, Coach Harper addressed this issue quickly. That issue was never addressed under Warlick. The loss of the player to UConn will turnout to be a real blessing to this team as "Geno the Mouth" will have to live with her personal problems and the chemistry with the rest of the UConn players.

It's way to early to tell how good this team is going to be this year but my opinion of Kellie hasn't changed one bit. I was a HUGE supporter of the hire from the start! Getting a impressive road win at Notre Dame isn't the same as in years past but still a VERY impressive resume win.

I am shocked at the low level of opponents in the 1st part of the season. no wonder they can't get fans to show up... jmho

VN Store

Back