Have your feelings changed?

mlindsay

I know it is early and to many we haven’t played anyone, but I was wondering has your feelings changed about what this team can be this year and how Kellie will do as coach of this program.

List your Pros and Cons!

Oh my gosh! We must have been having the same thoughts this morning, and I was obviously still writing mine while you were posting yours. lol

As you already know, I am all-in with this team and staff. :D

Lady Vols gonna do somethin major. I like Kellie and I think she's relatable. Leader by example type is what them gals needed and I believe it's what we have again.
Go Vols!

I know it is early and to many we haven’t played anyone, but I was wondering has your feelings changed about what this team can be this year and how Kellie will do as coach of this program.

List your Pros and Cons!
I had my doubts about Coach Harper and it looks like I was proved wrong:cool: I think the LadyVols go 22-7 and 11-5 in the SEC and Coach Harper possibly gets named SEC Coach of the Year:cool:

The defense is better than I thought it would be at this point, but the offense isn’t. The team still has spurts of standing around and looking puzzled when facing a 2-3 zone. I’m hoping movement improves on offense as the season goes on. I also think we can do more to exploit our size advantage. Overall, I’m very pleased and think we can make the Sweet 16 if we continue to improve.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Oh my gosh! We must have been having the same thoughts this morning, and I was obviously still writing mine while you were posting yours. lol

As you already know, I am all-in with this team and staff. :D
Just a few things that I have noticed about this years team. They will not win consistently playing a zone for almost the full game against teams that we will face. They use their height to score many points on rebounding, but I don't see that they have any inside plays to get the ball to their post. Their zone defense often leaves 3 point shooters unguarded, and when they move out to guard they dribble drive to the basket. She never uses a timeout to teach during a game, and she never seems to be tough with the girls. I realize this is a young team, but you have to be a TOUGH coach to the girls to make them better. Am I glad we are 5 and 0 YES Am I glad that we have a new coach Yes I drive longer distances to see the Lady Vols than I do the Men so I am and have been one of their biggest supporters for many years. These are just my observations from the games that I have streamed and watched.

IMO... they seem to be improving or at least they looked much better last night.

CKH seems to be teaching them the right things and they seem to be having fun, so that's a GOOD thing!

The test will be how they (both players and CKH) react when they are getting their asses kicked.

How they respond in difficult situations will tell us about all we'll need to know about CKH. Sometimes other teams are just better than you and sometimes teams just quit. They'd better not QUIT! Too many times under HW the ladies absolutely packed it in. That's when you know that the end is inevitable.

The Pros are the way we are playing defense especially against the dribble drive. In past years we were giving up a lot of layups and way to many uncontested. This year when you drive inside you may get the ball back in your face and your gonna be challenged making for a much more difficult shot. We are also playing much better perimeter defense can get a lot better there, but the will to defend and rebound this well so early in the season has been the biggest pro thus far.
I also like the confidence we are showing shooting the ball. We could have a better shot selection and not take some of the shots overall were taking better shots than we did last season.

Another Pro is the players seem to be learning and getting better . This is really making we a lot more optimistic about this team.

The biggest negative has been the turnovers looks like we did a lot better job taking care of the ball in this game. Still don't like how some players are still playing out of control on several possessions.

I also wish we were getting more movement against the zone and stop working for the post entry pass from the perimeter. Against a zone like we were playing last night you need more high low play because they are sagging so much. Getting in the paint drawing defense is the better way to get open shots against a zone like they played against us last night. Of course they were giving us the three and we were making them pay. If we hadn't been hitting the three so well could've been a lot closer game. If we can keep hitting those threes teams will have to open up that sagging zone and getting inside to the basket will be easier.

It is still early. However, my feelings are at this time the change has been undeniably positive. The improvement in how the team works together is hopeful for the first time in a long time. Beating Notre Dame, without really following them closely or keeping up with how highly they are currently regarded in the pecking order, was huge.

The only cons? They have had a few minutes of running a bit cold. Well guess what? Every last one of Pat's championship teams had those moments, and they were way better developed than Kellie has had time to develop these ladies. They should get better in time. I am just being nit picky.

But if I get really nit picky, Emily Saunders needs to get her free throw shooting developed. If she is going to be in the post, she is going to get fouled in the act of shooting. And against better teams, she needs to complete the three point play. I get she is a freshman, but no time like the present to fix that part of her game. The rest of her game is reasonably impressive even for a freshman, but I have seen grade school kids with better free throw skills. In close games with the Lady Vols ahead, every opposing coach is going to say to their players, "Foul 31". I'm am not mad at the player, but her youth league and high school coaches for that glaring flaw. They failed her. Like I said, I am being really nit picky, and I hate singling out a freshman. But this is an obvious issue for a player not warming a chair on the bench that Kellie needs to address. A high priority so she is ready for more competitive teams.

Reactions: OG.V83 and lvocd
No worries... nobody’s looking for definitive statements five games into a season. That would be ridiculous. It’s just fun to be able to say that despite the obvious need to improve all aspects of the game if they’re going to make some noise in the post-season, we can all be satisfied that it’s equally obvious that the team is taking small, incremental steps forward all the time.

I am personally thrilled to be able to say that I am 100 percent certain that we won’t see any individual players, or the team in general, regressing in potential. That’s everything I’d hoped for, and it’s happening.

Kellie probably couldn't ask for a better start to her tenure. However, this is the easy part of the schedule and as the competition ramps up winning will be more of a test. I'm not expecting to finish at the top of the SEC but I think we'll make the tournament and Kellie will do well for a first-year coach. All the signs for success are there. :)

Reactions: Chippo and lvocd
The Pros are the way we are playing defense especially against the dribble drive. In past years we were giving up a lot of layups and way to many uncontested. This year when you drive inside you may get the ball back in your face and your gonna be challenged making for a much more difficult shot. We are also playing much better perimeter defense can get a lot better there, but the will to defend and rebound this well so early in the season has been the biggest pro thus far.
I also like the confidence we are showing shooting the ball. We could have a better shot selection and not take some of the shots overall were taking better shots than we did last season.

Another Pro is the players seem to be learning and getting better . This is really making we a lot more optimistic about this team.

The biggest negative has been the turnovers looks like we did a lot better job taking care of the ball in this game. Still don't like how some players are still playing out of control on several possessions.

I also wish we were getting more movement against the zone and stop working for the post entry pass from the perimeter. Against a zone like we were playing last night you need more high low play because they are sagging so much. Getting in the paint drawing defense is the better way to get open shots against a zone like they played against us last night. Of course they were giving us the three and we were making them pay. If we hadn't been hitting the three so well could've been a lot closer game. If we can keep hitting those threes teams will have to open up that sagging zone and getting inside to the basket will be easier.

I did not watch the game live but watched the replay of it. Kellie will need to make a decision on how and when to use Lou Brown, i know some will say she has played well and yes she has. But remember we have not played any top teams yet other then ND and they are not that good right now. When we play theses teams who do you match her up against. ? Watching her it is clear like the game announcers said that big knee brace is a problem.

I think this team will get better as the season goes. The defense has improved along with rebounding. I agree with most on this board that the offense needs to be more active against the 2-3 zone and the turnovers need to decrease, however, I truly believe Coach Harper is doing a tremendous job already and can’t wait to see what this Lady Vol team can do as this season progresses and in the future! Good luck ladies , Kellie, and coaching staff! Always looking forward to the next game!!🏀👍

Just a few things that I have noticed about this years team. They will not win consistently playing a zone for almost the full game against teams that we will face. They use their height to score many points on rebounding, but I don't see that they have any inside plays to get the ball to their post. Their zone defense often leaves 3 point shooters unguarded, and when they move out to guard they dribble drive to the basket. She never uses a timeout to teach during a game, and she never seems to be tough with the girls. I realize this is a young team, but you have to be a TOUGH coach to the girls to make them better. Am I glad we are 5 and 0 YES Am I glad that we have a new coach Yes I drive longer distances to see the Lady Vols than I do the Men so I am and have been one of their biggest supporters for many years. These are just my observations from the games that I have streamed and watched.

NEVER uses a timeout; NEVER seems to be tough?

Come on! Beyond TOs, Kellie is constantly dialogue with her players on the bench, during stoppage points and she seems to be teaching at almost any opportunuty.

Timeouts are not magical things that correct problems. Coaches have to read flow of games and decide when one is needed. Last night, Stetson called a lot of timeouts because they were losing control of the game. Kellie did not need to. If the team is following the game plan but maybe some shots are not falling, that is NOT a reason to call time outs.

And the "Bobby Knight" act is just out of step. Kellie's style is not to be a yeller and a screamer but she sure as heck benched Key last night who did not come to play. That is an effective way to get a message across.

I think the LVs are just fine on the coaching side. I do worry that the loss of Zaay will prove to be a bigger problem as the team get deeper into the schedule. A lot of pressure is on Davis and Horston to carry the scoring load.

KK is looking better but Key and Saunders are going to need at least another season before they become consistent post threats.

One bright spot from last night was Massengill hitting some shots in the 2nd.

A number of their first half foibles came from Jazz passing up an open shot and instead forcing a pass or resetting the offense without a better option.

IF she and Rae can deliver double digits on a regular basis than they have a means to compensate for Zaay's absence.

On the defense, your observation holds true for their last 2 first half performances. In both of these games, they largely corrected that problem in the 2nd.

If and when they can bring the defensive intensity for a full game, that will be a BIG step forward,

I know its early and alot will change. We beat Stetson by 27. KY only 19 and KY is ranked top 15. I would love to hear Stetsons coach take on the 2 teams

It's too early. CHW's teams always peaked early (usually due to talent advantage) and faded late (usually due to coaching). Let's see a full season before making any definitive statements....
I agree with this sentiment somewhat. Seems like they were doing great last year until a player or two were held accountable for academic things and then it was all downhill from there.

we've already noticed the changes in the team in all the aspects of them playing much better this season...just a tweak here and there is all that's needed...Coach K doing good...:D

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
NEVER uses a timeout; NEVER seems to be tough?

Come on! Beyond TOs, Kellie is constantly dialogue with her players on the bench, during stoppage points and she seems to be teaching at almost any opportunuty.

Timeouts are not magical things that correct problems. Coaches have to read flow of games and decide when one is needed. Last night, Stetson called a lot of timeouts because they were losing control of the game. Kellie did not need to. If the team is following the game plan but maybe some shots are not falling, that is NOT a reason to call time outs.

And the "Bobby Knight" act is just out of step. Kellie's style is not to be a yeller and a screamer but she sure as heck benched Key last night who did not come to play. That is an effective way to get a message across.

I think the LVs are just fine on the coaching side. I do worry that the loss of Zaay will prove to be a bigger problem as the team get deeper into the schedule. A lot of pressure is on Davis and Horston to carry the scoring load.

KK is looking better but Key and Saunders are going to need at least another season before they become consistent post threats.

One bright spot from last night was Massengill hitting some shots in the 2nd.

A number of their first half foibles came from Jazz passing up an open shot and instead forcing a pass or resetting the offense without a better option.

IF she and Rae can deliver double digits on a regular basis than they have a means to compensate for Zaay's absence.

On the defense, your observation holds true for their last 2 first half performances. In both of these games, they largely corrected that problem in the 2nd.

If and when they can bring the defensive intensity for a full game, that will be a BIG step forward,

You are 100% correct about Key did not come to play and was benched. Also notice in watching the replay of the game she was still rubbing her knee on the bench she hyperextended last game.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
You are 100% correct about Key did not come to play and was benched. Also notice in watching the replay of the game she was still rubbing her knee on the bench she hyperextended last game.

Good point. Her knee may have still been bothering her. She was not moving well. There was one turnover where Massengill lobbed the ball into her and she did not move and the otherwise catchable ball sailed out of bounds.

Thanks for pointing the potential injury problem. I fell into the bad habit of blaming a player's "mindset" for a situation when there more likely is a physical limitation in play.

Good point. Her knee may have still been bothering her. She was not moving well. There was one turnover where Massengill lobbed the ball into her and she did not move and the otherwise catchable ball sailed out of bounds.

Thanks for pointing the potential injury problem. I fell into the bad habit of blaming a player's "mindset" for a situation when there more likely is a physical limitation in play.

I notice Lou Brown diving on the floor after a loose ball, I was like oh no !

she never seems to be tough with the girls. I realize this is a young team, but you have to be a TOUGH coach to the girls to make them better.
That would be a great way to earn trust with a young team. Rip them a new one. I'm sure they would just love it and give their all for someone they have barely met. SMDH You have to build trust and relationships first and foremost. When you do that, they will play hard for you. Women are much different than men in this regard.

VN Store

Back