Has there ever been a coach that became GREAT after being terrible his first 3 years?

I think I get the intention of this thread. Indict CJP. By year 3 we not only feel he isn't going to cut it, but we also can look at the historical odds against him after 3 years by comparing to the minority who were able to get it figured out.

But also consider this, there are many "successful" coaches who move on to a bigger stage (or their alma mater) and wash out. And the number of coaches who do it is disconcerting. Unless UT is going to hire 1 of 3 (maybe 4) college football coaches in the world, even bringing in a proven winner isn't a "sure thing".

This moment of encouragement is sponsored by Jack Daniels.
It's 3 in the afternoon.....

Reactions: McDad
Its not about the record as much as it is the boneheaded decisions, stupid comments and lack of inspiration he exhibits as head coach.....

Reactions: gtin723
Its not about the record as much as it is the boneheaded decisions, stupid comments and lack of inspiration he exhibits as head coach.....
The record is the main entree. The dumb comments and crappy decision-making are just icing on top.

The opposite has happened often. Monster season, pay raise and extension follow then the rest of their tenure is subpar to terrible before they are fired.

Great?

I would settle for them finding a coach who isn't soul crushingly bad at this point.

The last 3 coaching hires can't even do simple math beyond counting their buyout money.

Dooley with the 13 guys on the field.

Jones referring to his charts.

Pruitt saying it was too far to kick a FG a few weeks ago.

Reactions: tastycar
To me this is why you gotta cut Pruitt lose right now. The likelihood he turns it around is unlikely. Most great coaches show that they're great by Year 3 or sooner. If there was a long history in recent years of coaches being terrible for 3 years then suddenly turning into powerhouses then there might be reason to hold out hope. But there isn't. So Tennessee would be stupid to hang on to Pruitt hoping he's the outlier rather than the rule.
Has happened many times. Fans didn't want coaches fired every time there was a losing streak years ago. It took Majors a while to get it going when he got here. People are just spoiled and entitled now. Not sure were it even comes from with UT football fans. We haven't won in years. Pruitt may or may not become a good coach but he was hired to learn on the job. Nobody likes were we are right now but next year at this time things could be completely different.

Reactions: Thedoc and jarnol32
I'm thinking maybe that coaches that get off to the start they have, like Pruitt, then move on (get canned), and do very well at the next stop is the learning curve of becoming a P5 HC. If that were to happen to him, and he took his next program to new heights, ala Saban, it's because he was booted before he enacted what he had learned, so he employed those changes on his next job. If they continue down the same path, ala Muschamp who is good, but not great, then time will also tell.

All of these threads about firing Pruitt are useless. Just grin and accept it. You really have no choice because he isn't going anywhere regardless of the results this year. He will get another two years to show significant progress.

Sure we have a choice, my choice is I’m spending my Saturdays doing something worth my time, energy and money until Tennessee decides they care about winning or at least being competent again. I haven’t watched since Kentucky and I won’t until a change is made.

Reactions: Bigorangedan23
Rarely.

I think Beamer was an exception. Maybe Bobby Bowden. Saban was lackluster in his first few years... but his success didn't come at that school.

There are two components. One, a coach has to inherit a good roster. Two, they have to be a great coach and catch some breaks. If #1 is lacking but a guy wins when he shouldn't or is unexpectedly competitive with less talent then maybe that buys some time. Neither has been the case with Pruitt or Jones.

Like the second part x 1000. I thought Pruitt outperformed himself against auburn in 2018 but that was just a flash in the pan.

Reactions: igotworms
Well yeah. But that seemed like piling on. But it probably doesn’t matter because I’m sure he has me on ignore so he’ll never see this.

My favorite is when he picked us to win the NC in 2017 and then immediately after Georgia stomped us he said UGA was always his NC favorite.

Reactions: joevol33
9950a3eb11084b07b7e6abedcf84b4d4_md.jpg

Has happened many times. Fans didn't want coaches fired every time there was a losing streak years ago. It took Majors a while to get it going when he got here. People are just spoiled and entitled now. Not sure were it even comes from with UT football fans. We haven't won in years. Pruitt may or may not become a good coach but he was hired to learn on the job. Nobody likes were we are right now but next year at this time things could be completely different.
I can't speak for anyone but myself relative to what exactly I'm upset about, but being upset that we are unable to consistently defeat Mizzou, South Carolina, Vandy, and Kentucky over a noticeable period of time is not spoiled and entitled.

We are 4-5 against Vandy this decade.
We are 5-5 against South Carolina this decade.
We are 4-5 against Mizzou since they entered the conference in 2012.
We are 2-2 against Kentucky since 2017.

Wanting better results than that against programs with far less resources than we have, and that we have historically dominated, isn't asking too much.

Now, if we were going 9-3 every year with close losses to the Big 3, and we wanted to run off Pruitt (or any coach) with this level of enthusiasm, then you're right.

I doubt we would fire him this season even if he loses out which is a big possibility. The only way we would get rid of him is if VN pulls the post-Schiano hire antics in magnitude.

VN Store

Back