Has Tennessee ever had a starter play Basketball and Football?

Question is in the title, I mention basketball specifically because it is the 2nd most emphasized sport for UT.

And to be a little more specific, has a football or basketball starter ever cross over to the other sport for Tennessee?
Yes. Doug Atkins. My understsnding was Atkins, from Humbolt, actually came to Tennessee on a basketball scholarship. Neyland saw him and said we could use you in football. I think he just playd a year of basketball. One of the legends in football. Also Bobby Dodd. He lettered on football, basketball, baseball and maybe track. My fater in law played basketball againt him. Remember him saying Dodd was the roughest player he ever played against. Father in law went on to play at LMU and is in their sports hall of fame. Dodd was coach at Georgia Tech and I think their AD.

Yes. Doug Atkins. My understsnding was Atkins, from Humbolt, actually came to Tennessee on a basketball scholarship. Neyland saw him and said we could use you in football. I think he just playd a year of basketball. One of the legends in football. Also Bobby Dodd. He lettered on football, basketball, baseball and maybe track. My fater in law played basketball againt him. Remember him saying Dodd was the roughest player he ever played against. Father in law went on to play at LMU and is in their sports hall of fame. Dodd was coach at Georgia Tech and I think their AD.
You are correct, but he did not play basketball after he switched to football.

Karl Kremser. TN's first soccer style place kicker that was also a high jumper on the track team. Might have been an All American in T&F.

CJ Fayton
CJ-Fayton.jpg
2001-02 Basketball Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time

VN Store

Back