Has paying players legally changed your

Now the boosters can pay it directly to the schools instead of under the table to the kids.

I think the certain type of booster with deep pockets and a need to feel special. Will pay directly to the players and expect that player to come by to an event or 2 to brag to his friends he quasi owns this player. Saying I'm doing all it takes to keep us on top, people buy a player, help us stay on top. Oh yeah, they may get an education also.

This def opens up Pandora’s box as to what college football will look like in 5 years it’s going to get real slimy and sleazy no doubt and anything goes. I expect the rich to get richer such as Bama, Ohio St, Clemson and the Georgia’s of the world.
We will get richer too. We have great fans

I'm considering going to Law school and focusing on Worker's Comp. I will specialize in helping NCAA payers get their just rewards. $$$

For me it will. It will be just another form of professional sports. Players get paid. Players get free agency. Yeah, I know things change, but sometimes change isn't positive. We'll see how this all shakes out, but with NIL, the camel has his nose under the tent. The flavor of the game can't help but be altered. Not sure I'll have the taste for this "new" college football.

This is semi-pro football, why connect it to the universities? The football budgets are larger than the school budgets. You think Satin at Bama is controlled in any way by the university administration? This will be the next move, university administrations want to get back to education which is what they are trained for.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
It will definitely change things, but when it is all said and done the entertainment factor of the actual game is what attracts fans and that will remain the same. I think this, and the transfer rule will make college football look more like a pro league. Some may like it some may not. It will certainly be harder to knock off any existing dynasties. If it becomes really boring or if (more) players start acting like God's gift I will watch FCS or just watch NFL.

I do think this is a good thing. The NCAA and the schools made a fortune off these athletes for decades.

NCAA waiver to effectively allow name, image and likeness rights for athletes near completion

CBS Sports obtained an internal NCAA document titled "Proposed Alternative Rules Amendment." Though that document -- slightly more than a page long -- is still going through edits, it details the NCAA's strategy.

• An athlete will not be penalized for profiting from their name, image and likes in states that have NIL regulations.
  • Schools shall post on their websites "written policy governing NIL" prohibiting payments from boosters "in exchange for athletic performance or attendance" at that school.
It is important to note that restrictions against cheating to get a recruit "shall cease to be applicable" if it conflicts with any state's NIL law.

The NCAA is attempting to put in new rules that are anti-trust and most likely in part against the Louisiana law. Also, it appears they would not be uniform among the schools.

The NCAA as a governing body really has no say so, players/schools should be filing criminal complaints with the FBI at this point. This is why conferences told them not to implement new rules, the only rule that would be legal is there is no rule.

This def opens up Pandora’s box as to what college football will look like in 5 years it’s going to get real slimy and sleazy no doubt and anything goes. I expect the rich to get richer such as Bama, Ohio St, Clemson and the Georgia’s of the world.

At what point do "college sports" become nothing more than "pro sports"? I think we will see "college sports" turn into a "hiring" of players that will have nothing to do with "going to school" (nearly that way for most kids already). If you are paying a player (any sport) what do grades have to do with it. Will there be some new way of handling "scholarship" athletes as opposed to "paid" athletes. Will there be a new type of "contract" between schools and athletes who are there for sports only? (to hell with schooling) How do you deal with a kid who you are paying under this situation when they can't make the grades and must "sit out" of lose their "job"? I could see this leading to lawsuits for being fired or suspended for no just cause or any thing else that can be thought of. I SEE A DAMN MESS COMING!!!

I think it'll bankrupt a lot of schools and ruin college sports forever before it's all said and done. This is just the beginning.
I am not clairvoyant but I’m thinking along these lines too. I think you’ll see a large “cleansing” of programs that simply can’t pay up and cutting those sports that would require huge amounts of revenue to exist like football and basketball. I’m sure my level of interest and investment in collegiate sports will fall drastically like it has for professional sports already which is at ZERO like the majority of Americans. 🤷

At what point do "college sports" become nothing more than "pro sports"? I think we will see "college sports" turn into a "hiring" of players that will have nothing to do with "going to school" (nearly that way for most kids already). If you are paying a player (any sport) what do grades have to do with it. Will there be some new way of handling "scholarship" athletes as opposed to "paid" athletes. Will there be a new type of "contract" between schools and athletes who are there for sports only? (to hell with schooling) How do you deal with a kid who you are paying under this situation when they can't make the grades and must "sit out" of lose their "job"? I could see this leading to lawsuits for being fired or suspended for no just cause or any thing else that can be thought of. I SEE A DAMN MESS COMING!!!
These are all great questions I think there is a ton of unknowns right now with this and I’m not sure the people in charge know what the answers are. Once you go down this road there is no going back. College football will be forever changed and probaly not for the better.

Excitement & desire to follow Tennessee football this coming season?

I'm all for reasonable amount given to athletes but the unlimited amount just ruins the feeling of college sports going forward. Turns it into who has the most money & best marketing programs for players
This NIL is the final destruction of College Football. Money puts ESPN, CBS, etc. in more control (Who gets on TV gets the most exposure, right? Most Exposure most money?) Could CBS, ESPN etc influence recruiting?

And the point not even being mentioned is this: These player images that are so valuable, are only valuable because of the school they go to!! If the greatest player of all time was playing for a jr. college he would get very little in endorsements. Players going to the BIG 5 conferences and particular the Ohio ST. Notre DAme, Alabama, etc is why their image is worth anything. It's the school not the player that is worth the money.

Reactions: tbwhhs and Voltopia
My interest in college football has dwindled a bit since the late 90's when the BCS was started.College football used to be unique. Regional pride and winning your conference was #1 on the agenda each season. If your team made a Bowl, it was a big deal. Today, it's all or nothing. 8-9 wins gets coaches fired. NIL and paying players is just going to make everything worse.

It may not happen in a year or two but you can bet there are lawyers, for sponsors and schools, trying to figure out a way to "Buy" the best team in the nation by finding loopholes in the rules. The rules they have now are not followed, and it is obvious, so when given a new set of rules that involves, in many ways, an opportunity for more people than just the players to profit you can bet there are a lot of people looking at how to exploit the rules and unfortunately the players in many cases as well.

Reactions: Tnslim1

I'm all for reasonable amount given to athletes but the unlimited amount just ruins the feeling of college sports going forward. Turns it into who has the most money & best marketing programs for players

I can’t imagine it will be unlimited for long (if at all). There will have to be a “salary cap” so to speak.

This NIL is the final destruction of College Football. Money puts ESPN, CBS, etc. in more control (Who gets on TV gets the most exposure, right? Most Exposure most money?) Could CBS, ESPN etc influence recruiting?

And the point not even being mentioned is this: These player images that are so valuable, are only valuable because of the school they go to!! If the greatest player of all time was playing for a jr. college he would get very little in endorsements. Players going to the BIG 5 conferences and particular the Ohio ST. Notre DAme, Alabama, etc is why their image is worth anything. It's the school not the player that is worth the money.

NIL has very little to do with it, meaning what the USSC did was more or less blow up the business model as well. If every State remove their NIL Laws, the NCAA is toast as far as compensation/benefit restrictions i.e. anti-trust.

Anti-trust is the problem. <------

It's the school not the player that is worth the money

The player is worth money, the sport only makes it a potential path for the player to be worth money. Even today Michael Jordan is banking on his name and he hasn't played ball for 20 years. (fairly irrelevant though, people need to adjust)

If the player isn't worth money, none of this would be an issue meaning "compensation". Obviously, they are worth money since the NCAA places restrictions.

Reactions: volsfan_17
It may not happen in a year or two but you can bet there are lawyers, for sponsors and schools, trying to figure out a way to "Buy" the best team in the nation by finding loopholes in the rules. The rules they have now are not followed, and it is obvious, so when given a new set of rules that involves, in many ways, an opportunity for more people than just the players to profit you can bet there are a lot of people looking at how to exploit the rules and unfortunately the players in many cases as well.

The invisible circles of people who handle player compensation probably know every part of the rules and the proposed changes inside and out, and I imagine are a decade ahead of whatever structural changes are being considered. I would imagine they have discussed the potential scenarios endlessly as part of their work. I don't think they're ever behind the curve. I think they're always staying just ahead of it.

Players have been getting paid, this changes nothing.
But now the amount they get will be made public.

I'm waiting for a star player, getting paid a lot of money, to get hurt. The back-up comes in and wins a couple of games, and then refuses to play until he is paid.
What happens in the situation like Salter? Does he have to repay the money he got since he can no longer fulfill his duties of representing the company that paid him?

I don't think it will be much difference than it is now. In reality nothing is going to change, but I do think playoff expansion helps even the playing field more than anything. Tennessee has just as much money as almost anyone else. When NIL is fully in play I think it will actually help some players stay in school that might otherwise bolt. I am actually excited to see how it plays out. I am sure some kids will misuse their money are run into problems but overall I think it helps. It's not like players haven't been giving money now it will be done legally and more evenly across the landscape. GBO!!!!!!!

Players have been getting paid, this changes nothing.

You are correct, the top 50 or maybe 100 players have been getting paid to play. The change will be coaches using this to further recruiting by having everyone on their team paid by a booster for their likeness. The recruits will end up going where they can make the most money this is human nature. Top schools will start competing to be the team paying the highest amount or they may continue to also pay them under the table. When money is involved everything will change.

it will balance out over time. schools will pay attention to how much they invest on certain players to make sure they are not wasting time / money on a bust. you cant pay 5 stars the same as 3 stars; and when those 5 stars dont live up to expectation, then the upfront investments will stop. welcome to the minor leagues of football.....

As long as they give everything on the field for Tennessee then I want them to be compensated. I’d give my car plus the few valuable I own away for free to beat Alabama. Whatever it takes

I just think most kids are gonna be shocked at how unmarketable most of them are for any big money. Most will probably make less.than 1000 bucks a semester from bday parties and other small stuff. Be honest, not including posters on this board, how many people do you know can name more than 5 or even 10 players on the team?

Reactions: jakeaaal
What do you all think this will do to donors? Will they just give it to players and skip the university? Or are donors maxed out in their contributions to the program through other trusts and donations that there isn't any room in the budgets to employee players?

How Much time and work do these players have time for outside of academics and athletics? I thought that was the reason for cost of attendance payments. So if there is time for employment, should the university foot the bill for attendance?

VN Store

Back