Has Pat Tillman's Brother Become the New Sheehan?

Do you have the post to that blog where he made his statements? I heard about it but have not read it.

He is free to speak out. However, he served in Iraq as an E-4 and he ETS'd from the Army as an E-4. For some reason, the media believes he has credibility when it comes to matters concerning military grand strategy. If, as a former Ranger Batt soldier, he came out criticizing the unit tactics that are being imployed in Iraq, I would consider what he has to say. Rangers, at all ranks, are pretty much experts in the field of small unit tactics. However, to feign authority concerning policy, strategy, or operations, is ludicrous.

I am not sure what he majored in at Arizona State, however, I can assure you that whoever instructed him in his freshman composition class must be extremely proud.

What bothers me about this rant, is that it is entirely shameless. He even attacks those who go out of their way to support the troops. He attacks those who lobby for more armor!

To me, this is the desperate ramblings of someone who cannot come to grips with their loss. So, yes, he is exactly like Sheehan.

So in order to say anything about strategy in Iraq, you have to be in the military and have served as an officer? No one else can comment on Iraq and/or strategy without these qualifications?

He is free to speak out. However, he served in Iraq as an E-4 and he ETS'd from the Army as an E-4. For some reason, the media believes he has credibility when it comes to matters concerning military grand strategy. If, as a former Ranger Batt soldier, he came out criticizing the unit tactics that are being imployed in Iraq, I would consider what he has to say. Rangers, at all ranks, are pretty much experts in the field of small unit tactics. However, to feign authority concerning policy, strategy, or operations, is ludicrous.

Were Bush and Rumsfeld Rangers? Isn't the policy and strategy from them?

Were Bush and Rumsfeld Rangers? Isn't the policy and strategy from them?
Why would them being Rangers have anything to do with policy and strategy? If Bush and Rumsfeld were guiding the actual battallion level and below tactics of this war, then I would have choice words regarding their actions.

So in order to say anything about strategy in Iraq, you have to be in the military and have served as an officer? No one else can comment on Iraq and/or strategy without these qualifications?
Not in the least. I feel that federally elected officials, advisors, etc., in the most part have a certain 'authority' when commenting on Iraq. I am saying that Tillman has no greater 'authority' on the strategy in Iraq other than the fact that he served there as an E-4. I do not think that gives him much perspective.

Not in the least. I feel that federally elected officials, advisors, etc., in the most part have a certain 'authority' when commenting on Iraq. I am saying that Tillman has no greater 'authority' on the strategy in Iraq other than the fact that he served there as an E-4. I do not think that gives him much perspective.

So actually being there and seeing firsthand what is happening and being the one who is facing the policy decisions firsthand rather than someone at a command center has little to no perspective?

I guess since most of America never even left the country or served in the military much less served in Iraq has no perspective and should not even be voting on Iraq as an issue either huh?

I dunno, just seems like he has yet to come to grips with his brother's death.

Well coming to grips or not basically makes us who we are. If Kevin Tillman is no expert on policy or strategy who are we to become experts on Kevin Tillman? It works both ways. If he feels the need to speak out on something he feels passionate about, he has that right. If people listen to him and take him as credible, that is their right. If you think him a loon, that is your right. But he has a larger projecting voice and as someone who has been there and seen what has happened firsthand and has had a family member die while that cause is still being investigated for suspicious circumstances, he is given more credibility than many policy makers who are in DC trying to come up with the message that resonates with the people.

So actually being there and seeing firsthand what is happening and being the one who is facing the policy decisions firsthand rather than someone at a command center has little to no perspective?

I guess since most of America never even left the country or served in the military much less served in Iraq has no perspective and should not even be voting on Iraq as an issue either huh?
Kevin Tillman has not been there since OIF 1. Most of this country does not vote on Iraq. We have elected representatives, who are privy to much more information than the average American citizen, who vote on Iraq. That is the beauty of a Representative Republic.

Well coming to grips or not basically makes us who we are. If Kevin Tillman is no expert on policy or strategy who are we to become experts on Kevin Tillman? It works both ways. If he feels the need to speak out on something he feels passionate about, he has that right. If people listen to him and take him as credible, that is their right. If you think him a loon, that is your right. But he has a larger projecting voice and as someone who has been there and seen what has happened firsthand and has had a family member die while that cause is still being investigated for suspicious circumstances, he is given more credibility than many policy makers who are in DC trying to come up with the message that resonates with the people.
I never said he has no right to speak out. That does not prevent me from saying he has nothing credible to offer on the subject. It also does not prevent me from calling his rant "shameless."

Definately not an expert of Tillman.

I just think the poor fella is in a lot of pain from the loss of his brother....this is his way of getting it out........

More power to him.

Most of this country does not vote on Iraq? Have you not noticed what the top issues are with the likely voters there? Why do you think elected officials are backpedaling on the war now? Why do you think Bush is trying to redefine what is going on and what the mission and goal are?

In other words, we are the influencing voice on policy. Again, notice how those once staunchly supportive of everything in this war are now redefining their own positions for the sake of not losing their own elections.

In other words, we are the influencing voice on policy. Again, notice how those once staunchly supportive of everything in this war are now redefining their own positions for the sake of not losing their own elections.

I thought we were discussing Pat Tillman's brother and his comments :dunno:

VN Store

Back