Has Josh Heupel proven his worth?

Do you feel Coach Heupel has proven he can field a winning team? He came into a dumpster fire of a program with more than 30 players, many key athletes, leaving for other schools. In my opinion he has taken 71 scholarship players and has fielded a very competitive team in a short period of time. It will be a breadth of fresh air to see his future teams bringing Tennessee football back to the Tennessee of old! I'm excited.
Absolutely! By a mile

Did Botch Jones prove his worth in 2016 when he went 9-4? Did Conehead prove his worth in 2019 when he went 8-5? What is it with fanatics that always like to declare the latest coach the answer after a only a small taste of success? Time will tell ... be patient and hope for the best.

Calm down Judge Judy. He asked the QUESTION!

Do you feel Coach Heupel has proven he can field a winning team? He came into a dumpster fire of a program with more than 30 players, many key athletes, leaving for other schools. In my opinion he has taken 71 scholarship players and has fielded a very competitive team in a short period of time. It will be a breadth of fresh air to see his future teams bringing Tennessee football back to the Tennessee of old! I'm excited.
Everyone is emotional right now and will probably answer emotionally but I’m gonna say that I’m encouraged with what I’ve seen.
GBO!!

Everyone is emotional right now and will probably answer emotionally but I’m gonna say that I’m encouraged with what I’ve seen.
GBO!!
For a coach to step into a program as decimated as Tennessee was, and still is. The players are playing with passion. I'm encouraged as well.

The shortage of players will be a bigger factor in the next two seasons, more than likely. I think he’s definitely on the right track, but people thought Pruitt was awesome during the 8-game winning streak. I think Heup has definitely improved this team, though.

Someone educate me here on shortage of players . I know we do not have all scholarship slots filled and something like 70 of 85. Can we not just fill spots with some transfers and not hurt is against the number of kids we can sign and catch-up a bit ?

No signature win. Beating Ole Miss last week may have been a signature win for the program and recruiting.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
Did Botch Jones prove his worth in 2016 when he went 9-4? Did Conehead prove his worth in 2019 when he went 8-5? What is it with fanatics that always like to declare the latest coach the answer after a only a small taste of success? Time will tell ... be patient and hope for the best.

I’m all for being a bit patient

However your using fourth and second seasons as a guide………when right now Heupel is in his first.

to be fair Butch came in and went 5-7 with 2 SEC wins.

Pruitt came in and went 5-7 with 2 SEC wins.

Heupel is 4-4 with 2 SEC wins…….lets see how he finishes the season. I suspect it will look better than either of those two……..and with a very depleted roster.

I'm encouraged with what I've seen so far. He has certainly done more with less however, I do see some bad game management and questionable play calling at times that needs to improve. No need to get carried away and talk extension or anything just yet
( he has a 6yr contract) but continue fighting every game, get some recruits in, and I think we will be doing just fine.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
Considering how late he got here to get started and how depleted our roster was when he got here I think he and his staff have done an incredible job so far.

It's not time to talk a big raise or anything but the 1 thing I believe we MUST do is to help him keep this staff together no matter what!

If that means we need to give them a 10% raise and call it a cost of living bonus or something then just do whatever it takes to keep CJH's staff together for several more years.

I also don't think we'll start to see greater recruiting until we get the useless NCAA off our back and CJH has no control over that.

I believe we have a very exciting future when it's all settled and behind us.

The more CJH coaches in the SEC the better he'll become.

VFL...GBO!!!

1 toss-up game won (mizz). Kentucky is the last toss-up of the season. That they are ranked and it's at their place sure would make me feel better about Heupel to get that win. Recruiting is critical to success and it's a huge problem for now.

Last edited:
Someone educate me here on shortage of players . I know we do not have all scholarship slots filled and something like 70 of 85. Can we not just fill spots with some transfers and not hurt is against the number of kids we can sign and catch-up a bit ?
67 I think is the number you are looking for. We had 35 transfer out since September of 2020. I think 10 transfers come in. So basically minus 1 full recruiting class by numbers!

He is putting an enjoyable product on the field and looks poised to have a good shot at a bowl game.

His team competes hard and seems to make improvements in certain areas.

All that being said, they have to finish off one of these potential upsets eventually if this program is ever really going to turn the corner to relevancy again. Plucky attitudes and hope doesn't count for much on the scoreboard.

And a 30th ranked class will get them even further behind on personnel in the SEC. I hope his guys are strong closers.

No way. He hasn’t even finished a season and has been destroyed by Florida and Bama. Our kids are making way too many mistakes. We are a mediocre team (who can’t seem to catch a break). Your points about what he has inherited and the injuries are valid, however. We were forced to be one dimensional last night without Cade in the game and with injured starters in Cooper and Evans. Heck even our QB isn’t 💯

Huepel has flashed his potential, but we will not know until he has had time to assemble and train a full team and I think that puts us two years down the road to be able to say yay or nay… maybe even 3, because he got a late start and is up against an investigation. Additionally, we will have to have another QB by then, as Hooker will be gone.

I feel good about Huepel, though and I like the product that is on the field.

Last edited:
The team gels good, but at times the play calling has been terrible. So he hasn't proven yet. I do believe he will though. Definitely think the team is headed in right direction.

No way. He hasn’t even finished a season and has been destroyed by Florida and Bama. Our kids are making way too many mistakes. We are a mediocre team (who can’t seem to catch a break. Your points about what he has inherited are valid, however. He has flashed his potential, but we will not know until he has had time to assemble and train a full team and I think that puts us two years down the road to be able to say yay or nay… maybe even 3, because he got a late start and is up against an investigation. I feel good about him, though and I like the product that is on the field.
This right here.

Proven? No, demonstrated potential? Yes
Beat me to it. At one point, some thought each of our last 3 coaches were "the answer". I'm hopeful we've found the right fit, but until he puts a roster together and "does it", hope is all we have. How do you prove something you haven't done yet?

Last edited:
That is a year 3 question after he has 2 full recruiting classes....but so far I like the fight they have.

He‘s got guys buying in for sure. I can’t wait to see him with a full roster of his Players. With that said, punting on that 4th and 1 near midfield with a D that was gassed was very weak
4th down call:

I think he was just extending the game. Up to that point defense had played valiantly. Offense had got stuffed all night on short yardage. Go for it and miss it’s absolutely game over

Not saying I agree because I was also screaming “go for it.”…..just saying how I’ve rationalized it out lol

That is a year 3 question after he has 2 full recruiting classes....but so far I like the fight they have.
LOL, how does he have two full recruiting classes? If recruiting starts Junior year or before, amd he came in one ass end of relationships Beldar harvested trying to determinr who is a take or a fit. Then how does that equate to a lost recruiting class? It wasnt his.

This class is his but he is under NCAA or self imposed constraints. Not really a great barometer.

Respectfully disagree. In this case, our admin has knee capped Heupels first recruiting class. This, IMO, warrants a year zero designation if there ever was one. I also think you need to allow a coach to completely flip his roster. In my mind, the grade comes when his first recruiting class(next years) graduates. That's when you've had time to get your kids in, have them in the system and in your S&C program. We're so weak on the lines that it's going to take great recruiting and at least a couple of years growing/developing those linemen to really be fair in assessing what Heupel's program can and might be.

VN Store

Back