Has Hyams lost any credibility he had left?

I actually do. I enjoy his show with John Wilkerson. A lot of times he has good information. Sometimes he is wrong but that happens with everybody. Like I said some people confuse opinions with facts. Yesterday he plainly said I'm not reporting that Barnes is leaving. All he said was that he said things didn't look good based on what he was hearing. That's an opinion.

I get that. For me, he's unlikeable in terms of personality, and he doesn't have an insight that seems relevant (since he is source-dependent as opposed to being a true insider) so there's no point in listening. I might not change the station, but I don't really pay attention when he's on. Even when he "reports" something, he seems to go so far out of his way to couch in terms that are later deniable that I don't really take it as a true report anyway.

I just love consuming anything related to UT sports so much that I'll leave it on some shows that I don't like or care about since its about UT, instead of hearing someone else talking about Duke non-stop.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Hyams is wrong more than he’s right, especially when he interjects his opinions. He’s a typical non-athlete journalist who doesn’t know what’s going on. Basilio is just as bad, was trying to run off “Retirement Rick” his first two years after inheriting a dumpster, but at least he’s entertaining. The night he was playing drums after Freeze was rumored as an OC candidate was hilarious (referring to Freeze playing African drums at Kongbo’s house during a recruiting visit).
Sources are the key and that’s become a lot harder with changes with who’s in charge and in the know. Hyams is an award winning journalist. He had great sources in the past but definitely is on the outside in more recent years. Basillio on the other hand had always been the outsider and now has a couple of sources that are solid. Yes, TB is 10 times more entertaining and has a number of characters as callers. He’s a terrible interviewer because he doesn’t prepare. His show can get pretty sophomoric at times.

He does do all his own ad selling and buys his time; so his show is 100% independent.

Reactions: Golf freak
Hyams is an award winning journalist.

They all are. They create professional organizations to give themselves awards. John Adams used to win sportswriter of the year type awards, given by his peers. His readers are not giving him that award...

It's like being an Oscar winning actor in today's world, or, you know, a Heisman Trophy winner. Just doesn't mean anything in the big picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudOrange
They all are. They create professional organizations to give themselves awards. John Adams used to win sportswriter of the year type awards, given by his peers. His readers are not giving him that award...

It's like being an Oscar winning actor in today's world, or, you know, a Heisman Trophy winner. Just doesn't mean anything in the big picture.
Ok.
No, it does mean something. I think Jimmy is hurt by being in talk radio. Guys like Chris Lowe are apt to get the leads because sources don’t necessarily want their media connection to be someone who is on talk radio every freaking day.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
He was blatantly wrong twice yesterday:

1) He said there would be a Barnes announcement within an hour. The news didn't come until almost 10 hours later.

2) He said multiple times on WNML last night that things were not looking good and Barnes was probably leaving.

He will never live down the Brohm situation, but it seems like he's just consistently throwing out guesses and being overly confident.

Who can we trust locally for news on UT sports? If it wasn't for this site, many of us wouldn't know half as much as we do.

Could it be that Hyams had a so called insider in the program? Talk was being made of a press conference in 2 hours and Hyams so called insider called him about it then things changed at thel last moment & the press conference was Re scheduked
Maybe he is getting bad info and he grasps at any tidbit he can get

VN Store

Back