Harry Potter is just crappy Star Wars

LouderVol

Extra and Terrestrial

I have never liked Harry Potter, its crappy writing, crappy story telling, and its also a bad rip off, of Star Wars. I have seen the video above before; but for some reason after watching it last night, I woke up and chose violence and felt the need to share and hopefully start some fights after not really caring before.

Here are some of the ways that Harry Potter is a knock off, some of this is taken from the video above. I am sure there is an entire sub-reddit for this, but I haven't looked, but I am sure there is more.

1. Orphan boy is the main protagonist who has to save the "world" using some ancient magic. ok, pretty standard stuff, cant really knock JK Rollings because thats the start of a TON of stories.
2. Main character is raised by aunt & uncle far removed from the central threat. a little sus but not bad, family taking over pretty standard.
3. aunt & uncle refuse to tell the main character about this ancient magic, or what really happened to his parents. a little sus, but again not unique to SW.
4. Main character is introduced to the magic when an older practitioner of this magic comes to take him away from his aunt & uncle. and just so happens to be the same person who dropped them off as a kid with the aunt and uncle. ok, this is starting to get a bit weird imo, to have that same connection. definitely sus
5. the person who takes him away teaches him a little about his fate/magic, but he has to go to an older & more powerful practitioner of the magic to finish the training. a little less sus than the line before.
6. main character goes off on new adventures meets new friends, together they are 2 guys 1 girl. pretty standard stuff no foul.
7. has sex tension with the girl, but ends up treating her like family. girl ends up liking the scruffy comedic relief friend. the comedic relief friend who has deep money issues. ok, this is getting more sus, that works a little too well.
8. main character gets a good bit of his power from his connection to the main bad guy from his infancy after the main bad guy kills at least one of his parents. again pretty standard stuff.
9. after the main bad guy kills off the parents, they forget about the main character apparently, and go on about their way, and nothing really happens in the storyline until the kid comes of age. the main character, even though not being as well trained, or as strong as the main bad guy is able to take them down, but only after some advice from the dead mentor they had previously relied on. a little sus but not much.
10. meanwhile while the main character is off trying to solo the main guy, the friends are leading some type of resistance against the main bad guy's forces that has taken power from the good guys side, but somehow the main population have no clue any of its going on. again slightly sus.
11. both sets of practitioners typically wear robes, and their main identifier/tool as a practitioner is a handheld device they have to wave around that apparently people who aren't practitioners cant effectively use despite the apparent ease. fairly sus.
12. both are really good at flying things, despite no formal training, and this plays heavily into a side story that mimics the main storyline. and so is their male friend, but not female friend. a little sus.

It’s funny.

When HP was coming out I was already in my 20s and it didn’t resonate with me. A few years ago my wife started reading the books to my kids and then we would watch the movies and I get it now. I’ll give HP credit for crossing the gender divide of fandom as well. While SW primarily appeals to males, HP is more 50/50.

And if we are being honest, it’s we’ll known most of Star Wars is lifted from the Japanese film The Hidden Fortress but put in a Flash Gordon setting.

Basically nothing is original.

Anyhow, enjoy…

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
Anyone who thinks HP is crappy writing never hung around long enough to get the full story.

"Snape's memories" alone is absolutely superb storytelling. So much of what you thought you knew, you were wrong about the whole time.

I have never liked Harry Potter, its crappy writing, crappy story telling, and its also a bad rip off, of Star Wars. I have seen the video above before; but for some reason after watching it last night, I woke up and chose violence and felt the need to share and hopefully start some fights after not really caring before.

Here are some of the ways that Harry Potter is a knock off, some of this is taken from the video above. I am sure there is an entire sub-reddit for this, but I haven't looked, but I am sure there is more.

1. Orphan boy is the main protagonist who has to save the "world" using some ancient magic. ok, pretty standard stuff, cant really knock JK Rollings because thats the start of a TON of stories.
2. Main character is raised by aunt & uncle far removed from the central threat. a little sus but not bad, family taking over pretty standard.
3. aunt & uncle refuse to tell the main character about this ancient magic, or what really happened to his parents. a little sus, but again not unique to SW.
4. Main character is introduced to the magic when an older practitioner of this magic comes to take him away from his aunt & uncle. and just so happens to be the same person who dropped them off as a kid with the aunt and uncle. ok, this is starting to get a bit weird imo, to have that same connection. definitely sus
5. the person who takes him away teaches him a little about his fate/magic, but he has to go to an older & more powerful practitioner of the magic to finish the training. a little less sus than the line before.
6. main character goes off on new adventures meets new friends, together they are 2 guys 1 girl. pretty standard stuff no foul.
7. has sex tension with the girl, but ends up treating her like family. girl ends up liking the scruffy comedic relief friend. the comedic relief friend who has deep money issues. ok, this is getting more sus, that works a little too well.
8. main character gets a good bit of his power from his connection to the main bad guy from his infancy after the main bad guy kills at least one of his parents. again pretty standard stuff.
9. after the main bad guy kills off the parents, they forget about the main character apparently, and go on about their way, and nothing really happens in the storyline until the kid comes of age. the main character, even though not being as well trained, or as strong as the main bad guy is able to take them down, but only after some advice from the dead mentor they had previously relied on. a little sus but not much.
10. meanwhile while the main character is off trying to solo the main guy, the friends are leading some type of resistance against the main bad guy's forces that has taken power from the good guys side, but somehow the main population have no clue any of its going on. again slightly sus.
11. both sets of practitioners typically wear robes, and their main identifier/tool as a practitioner is a handheld device they have to wave around that apparently people who aren't practitioners cant effectively use despite the apparent ease. fairly sus.
12. both are really good at flying things, despite no formal training, and this plays heavily into a side story that mimics the main storyline. and so is their male friend, but not female friend. a little sus.

Star Wars at its best is better than Harry Potter at its best, and Star Wars at its worst is 10x worse than Harry Potter at its worst. Not a huge fan of either. I like the fandom more than I actually like movies/books/shows. It's fun to immerse yourself with the nerds.

I think the facts that I grew up on Star Wars, was a huge fan, and now can barely take half the **** they produce, and I didn't grow on HP and find all of the movies at least mildly entertaining kind of says a lot. I do not care if it's a knockoff.

It’s funny.

When HP was coming out I was already in my 20s and it didn’t resonate with me. A few years ago my wife started reading the books to my kids and then we would watch the movies and I get it now. I’ll give HP credit for crossing the gender divide of fandom as well. While SW primarily appeals to males, HP is more 50/50.

And if we are being honest, it’s we’ll known most of Star Wars is lifted from the Japanese film The Hidden Fortress but put in a Flash Gordon setting.

Basically nothing is original.

Anyhow, enjoy…

I forgot about this youtube channel

Anyone who thinks HP is crappy writing never hung around long enough to get the full story.

"Snape's memories" alone is absolutely superb storytelling. So much of what you thought you knew, you were wrong about the whole time.
read the entire series.

snape was always too over the top to not have a back story to try and real him in, it was predictable. the whole story was predictable, which isn't a bad thing always, if you do it in a cool way. JK Rollings did very little in a cool way.

(spoiler) Harry Potter dies, and comes back to life. that could be a pretty cool side quest/storyline. nope has a conversation with dead Dumbledore and then gets to chose to come back to life and Voldermort can't hurt him if he returns? I mean come on, how lazy was that?

Harry Potter literally had plot armor the ENTIRE story, and a serious case of affluenza. Dumbledore just coming in to give Gryffindor points, you would think after the 5th Dark Arts Professor went wacky they would start doing some back ground checks. They never once attempt to explain the magic, were the ancient Romans running around casting spells since they spoke latin?
The not-so-magical Latin origins of 'Harry Potter' spells
it made some sense that the magicians were able to hide themselves away, but what about all the other fantasy creatures? Griffons, centaurs, they are out in the world somewhere but no one knows about them? There is almost zero character development across 7 books except for Harry becoming a spoiled brat at the end, everyone else doesn't change a wink.

one caveat I will throw in about my opinion is that I had already read some of the best fantasy literature out there by the time HP came out in my 5th grade. already read LoTR and the Hobbit, Dune, some of the Conan books, heck even a children series like Redwall was better fantasy. so my threshold for good was pretty high. I might have even been reading the Wheel of Time series at the time too, can't exactly remember when I started those.

yeah. there was a lot of stuff that happened in the earlier books circled around and had an impact in the latter books. she did a great job of writing those books. i don't think you can compare star wars and HP.

you can compare disney's star wars to star wars. disney's star war is really, really bad

also the HP movies are really bad compared to the books. they gave up after trying to make a good HP over after the 3rd book.

Reactions: bigeasy
read the entire series.

snape was always too over the top to not have a back story to try and real him in, it was predictable. the whole story was predictable, which isn't a bad thing always, if you do it in a cool way. JK Rollings did very little in a cool way.

(spoiler) Harry Potter dies, and comes back to life. that could be a pretty cool side quest/storyline. nope has a conversation with dead Dumbledore and then gets to chose to come back to life and Voldermort can't hurt him if he returns? I mean come on, how lazy was that?

Harry Potter literally had plot armor the ENTIRE story, and a serious case of affluenza. Dumbledore just coming in to give Gryffindor points, you would think after the 5th Dark Arts Professor went wacky they would start doing some back ground checks. They never once attempt to explain the magic, were the ancient Romans running around casting spells since they spoke latin?
it made some sense that the magicians were able to hide themselves away, but what about all the other fantasy creatures? Griffons, centaurs, they are out in the world somewhere but no one knows about them? There is almost zero character development across 7 books except for Harry becoming a spoiled brat at the end, everyone else doesn't change a wink.

one caveat I will throw in about my opinion is that I had already read some of the best fantasy literature out there by the time HP came out in my 5th grade. already read LoTR and the Hobbit, Dune, some of the Conan books, heck even a children series like Redwall was better fantasy. so my threshold for good was pretty high. I might have even been reading the Wheel of Time series at the time too, can't exactly remember when I started those.

remember it's a children's book. most children didn't read the books you've read. i thought she did a great job with the books. snape's back story gave us just a enough.

The books & films start as children's books but by the time the books & films end the characters & actors are 16-18 year old or older.

Reactions: SlipKidVol
read the entire series.

What do you mean Voldemort couldn’t hurt Harry if he returned? Are you referencing the elder wand not belonging to Voldemort, or the fact that he used Harry’s blood to recreate his body? And Harry being an unintentional horcrux was brilliant. As was Severus snapes storyline. And so many great characters like bellatrix lestrange, Sirius, Lupin, Tonks, and on and on. You can say Harry had plot armor, but he had quite a rough go of it. His mom and dad murdered, his godfather murdered, his friend and mentor/headmaster killed/sacrificed himself, not to mention the deaths of lupin and tonks, being raised by people who mistreated him, etc..
And what do you mean after the 5th dark arts professor “went wacky”? Making it out as if they all went wacky is just not true. Lupin didn’t go wacky, he was a werewolf and once his condition was revealed he stepped down to prevent dumbledore from feeling the pressure from parents not wanting his kind to be a professor.
Mad eye moody was brought in by dumbledore as dark arts professor to monitor the former death eater karkaroff. Mad eye was literally an auror, his background catching and locking up dark wizards was well known so not sure what you expect from a background check lol…It was never going to be more than a one year thing as dark arts professor for him. Also, wasn’t Dolores umbridge somewhat forced upon him as the new dark arts professor, thus preventing mad eye taking the position even if he wanted it? Have you actually read the books? Doesn’t really sound like it.

Last edited:
What do you mean Voldemort couldn’t hurt Harry if he returned? Are you referencing the elder wand not belonging to Voldemort, or the fact that he used Harry’s blood to recreate his body? And Harry being an unintentional horcrux was brilliant. As was Severus snapes storyline. And so many great characters like bellatrix lestrange, Sirius, Lupin, Tonks, and on and on. You can say Harry had plot armor, but he had quite a rough go of it. His mom and dad murdered, his godfather murdered, his friend and mentor/headmaster killed/sacrificed himself, not to mention the deaths of lupin and tonks, being raised by people who mistreated him, etc..
And what do you mean after the 5th dark arts professor “went wacky”? Making it out as if they all went wacky is just not true. Lupin didn’t go wacky, he was a werewolf and once his condition was revealed he stepped down to prevent dumbledore from feeling the pressure from parents not wanting his kind to be a professor.
Mad eye moody was brought in by dumbledore as dark arts professor to monitor the former death eater karkaroff. Mad eye was literally an auror, his background catching and locking up dark wizards was well known so not sure what you expect from a background check lol…It was never going to be more than a one year thing as dark arts professor for him. Also, wasn’t Dolores umbridge somewhat forced upon him as the new dark arts professor, thus preventing mad eye taking the position even if he wanted it? Have you actually read the books? Doesn’t really sound like it.

NERD FIGHT!!!

1696684507175.gif

I kid I kid. I definitely get in the weeds for nerd debates. HP just isn’t my thing 😂

Reactions: Stoked
read them 20+ years ago. So yeah I have probably rounded off some of the details. never watched the movies so if you are pulling a reference from them I won't know it.

the 5th dark arts professor comment was clearly hyperbole. you would think letting in the main bad guy in the first book would have been enough to seriously scrutinize the staff. and really start working on security with all these incidents happening in the school year after year.

If Harry Potter had been dead dead at the end for Voldermort to come back and then someone else had killed Voldermort it would have been a great story. or Harry having to go through some trial or ordeal would have been cool, and its also not a unique story line, so its not like I am requiring JK Rolling to break new ground all over the place before bringing harry back to life. him being a Horcrux was purely to cover up his plot armor in all the other books, and it didn't fit in with any of the other Horucruxes, did any of the others get to come back to life after being broken/killed?

the Horucruxes are a cool bit, again not original, but that was done well.

he didn't really know his mom or dad, doesn't remember the attack that scarred him, I can't remember if they mcguffined that bit to magic or not. hard to be traumatized from an event. and then he has hero status in the entire community for something that other people died and prepared him for and that he doesn't remember.

He was literally always the hero, even before he learned of magic, no development. they should have at least had an evil caretaker for the family fortune or something for Harry to do before he becomes fabulously wealthy to go along with his unearned hero status. every single thing was just handed to Harry. Magic from his bloodline. money from his parents. favoritism from 90% of the wizarding world, and the few that didn't were clearly the bad guys. even at the end of the books when they leave Hogwarts Harry is just an angsty teen who hangs out and pouts in camp. As mentioned above he gets to just come back to life, because just kidding he isn't dead, even though that was central to Voldermort coming back. and if I remember correctly when he comes back to life its right where the fight was already going on, a fight that wasn't triggered by his return or anything. what were they carrying his body around as some sort of trophy or symbol? Idk maybe that was explained, but I don't remember anything.

Even all the people you mentioned were just given to Harry. Here's a new issue for Harry to deal with, what should he do, train to go through it? Study the problem and do research? Work with his current friends to deal with it? Get his butt kicked and have to learn a lesson? Maybe Harry has to show some development to actually befriend this person, or earn their trust? No, lets not do anything that would show development. Lets just hand Harry another follower that will either know what to do or just be able to get around the problem. you know because its a children's book and we need to get the point across that unless you are just handed everything you will never get anything done. congrats, achievement unlocked: Afluenza.

everyone you mention except for Dumbledore dies in pretty much the same book they are really introduced to Harry. hard to really claim some deep connection to someone you haven't even known a full school year or done more than a chapter's worth of "adventure" with. not saying Harry should have been totally cold to them dying or their help; but trying to claim their deaths as a Trials of Hercules so its ok that Harry has plot armor is weak. I am sure you have your exception to pull out and get me, but it doesn't disprove the rest of the cases.

Again Snapes was so over the top it was clear there was a deeper connection to Harry they weren't covering in the early books. as has been pointed out its a plot line for a children's book, the only way anyone buys it is because its their first introduction to the trope. sorry I don't think JK Rollings was brilliant for doing it or how she did it.

Now go read The Hero with a Thousand Faces and have your mind blown at how many popular fictional franchises (and even religious figures) share similar archetypes and plot points.
I 100% agree that plot devices get reused all the time. Can't remember the last time I felt like I was reading something original. except for SOME of LOTR I don't think any of the series I mentioned, including Star Wars, includes much if any "new" things.

The distinction is to reuse the same theme in a new and unique way. or to at least make it interesting or as a development to the story. Harry Potter does none of it, which is where my problem arises with them. Every other series that is considered good fantasy/fiction includes something that makes it standout. Harry Potter just stands out as the most popular, and its popularity seems to stem from the fact that it actively avoids anything that would be considered good fantasy writing. its consumable, that doesn't make it good.

read them 20+ years ago. So yeah I have probably rounded off some of the details. never watched the movies so if you are pulling a reference from them I won't know it.

the 5th dark arts professor comment was clearly hyperbole. you would think letting in the main bad guy in the first book would have been enough to seriously scrutinize the staff. and really start working on security with all these incidents happening in the school year after year.

If Harry Potter had been dead dead at the end for Voldermort to come back and then someone else had killed Voldermort it would have been a great story. or Harry having to go through some trial or ordeal would have been cool, and its also not a unique story line, so its not like I am requiring JK Rolling to break new ground all over the place before bringing harry back to life. him being a Horcrux was purely to cover up his plot armor in all the other books, and it didn't fit in with any of the other Horucruxes, did any of the others get to come back to life after being broken/killed?

the Horucruxes are a cool bit, again not original, but that was done well.

he didn't really know his mom or dad, doesn't remember the attack that scarred him, I can't remember if they mcguffined that bit to magic or not. hard to be traumatized from an event. and then he has hero status in the entire community for something that other people died and prepared him for and that he doesn't remember.

He was literally always the hero, even before he learned of magic, no development. they should have at least had an evil caretaker for the family fortune or something for Harry to do before he becomes fabulously wealthy to go along with his unearned hero status. every single thing was just handed to Harry. Magic from his bloodline. money from his parents. favoritism from 90% of the wizarding world, and the few that didn't were clearly the bad guys. even at the end of the books when they leave Hogwarts Harry is just an angsty teen who hangs out and pouts in camp. As mentioned above he gets to just come back to life, because just kidding he isn't dead, even though that was central to Voldermort coming back. and if I remember correctly when he comes back to life its right where the fight was already going on, a fight that wasn't triggered by his return or anything. what were they carrying his body around as some sort of trophy or symbol? Idk maybe that was explained, but I don't remember anything.

Even all the people you mentioned were just given to Harry. Here's a new issue for Harry to deal with, what should he do, train to go through it? Study the problem and do research? Work with his current friends to deal with it? Get his butt kicked and have to learn a lesson? Maybe Harry has to show some development to actually befriend this person, or earn their trust? No, lets not do anything that would show development. Lets just hand Harry another follower that will either know what to do or just be able to get around the problem. you know because its a children's book and we need to get the point across that unless you are just handed everything you will never get anything done. congrats, achievement unlocked: Afluenza.

everyone you mention except for Dumbledore dies in pretty much the same book they are really introduced to Harry. hard to really claim some deep connection to someone you haven't even known a full school year or done more than a chapter's worth of "adventure" with. not saying Harry should have been totally cold to them dying or their help; but trying to claim their deaths as a Trials of Hercules so its ok that Harry has plot armor is weak. I am sure you have your exception to pull out and get me, but it doesn't disprove the rest of the cases.

Again Snapes was so over the top it was clear there was a deeper connection to Harry they weren't covering in the early books. as has been pointed out its a plot line for a children's book, the only way anyone buys it is because its their first introduction to the trope. sorry I don't think JK Rollings was brilliant for doing it or how she did it.

Complaining that the main character didn’t die in one of these fantasy stories could literally be said about like 99% of them. Star Wars would’ve been great if Luke skywalker had died, the lord of the rings would have been much better if the little old hobbit Frodo didn’t have all that plot armor and survive, etc.
Regarding your question “did any of the other horcruxes get to come back to life”, well most of them were items like a diadem, a cup, a ring, a locket. So no they didn’t come back to life because they were non living objects to begin with lol… The only other “living” one was nagini, the snake. Harry was “killed” by a killing curse, which is basically just separating body and soul resulting in death. Nagini was literally cut apart with a sword 😂
Slightly different circumstances. You say horcruxes aren’t really original, and I can’t seem to think of another story where a person can rip their soul into pieces and attach it to items through terrible acts like murder in order to keep themselves alive. What other story has that? I’m genuinely curious.
You say Harry had instant “hero status” from everyone, and again I disagree. He was famous because he was the only person known to survive the killing curse, and it just so happened to be at the hand of the most powerful dark wizard of all time. He wasn’t instantly regarded widely as a hero. Known/famous and hero are two separate things. You’re complaining that Harry was magic through his bloodline? Did you actually read the books? So were the majority of the other characters 😂
You complaining that there was no character development, or that Harry never had to befriend someone or earn their trust is just laughable and further confirms that you’ve either never read the books or have zero memory of them and perhaps you should read them again before you just baselessly make these claims. Try reading the order of the phoenix for this subject, Harry having to trust and rely on his friends, them working together is literally a huge theme of the book.
Your next false claim is that “everyone except dumbledore dies in the book they’re introduced to Harry in”. Let’s look at that:
Sirius black was introduced in prisoner of Azkaban, died in order of the phoenix which was several books later.
Remus Lupin was introduced also in prisoner, died in the deathly hallows, several books later.
Fred Weasley, introduced very early on, dies in deathly hallows.
Tonks was introduced in order, died several books later in deathly hallows.
Dobby, introduced in chamber of secrets and died in deathly hallows.
So yeah…There’s no way you’ve read the books dude 😂
You making this paragraph long complaint that Harry’s friends die in the same book and thus there was no way he could have a deep care for them, but it’s simply wrong and not true.
Sorry, but I’m not buying you’ve read the books. You clearly have zero knowledge over the actual events of the books or basic concepts, characters, or timeline of events. And your last “zinger” about it being a children’s storyline could be applied to many others as well, for instance the other fantasy story you placed in the title. Star Wars is/was created for children also. Who cares? 😂

Reactions: bigeasy and vols72

VN Store

Back