Harrison Bailey's potential for the Vols

I don't think JG is brain dead.

Perhaps he has been over coached, listens and remembers all he is told. He does not play like it is a game. Over thinks, maybe, but not brain dead.
JG plays the exact same way he did in high school. Literally nothing has changed.

Reactions: GBOx2 and LittleVol
With the staff that we have, why are JG and Patterson not developing as we had hoped?
Well, Covid basically took a huge chunk of "development" away from JG but that doesn't dismiss the fact he isn't that good to begin with. If you look at his high school career it was very, very mediocre. He did great in camps though, like he does at practice at UT. It just never translates into anything more that average to below average play on the field. No amount of coaching is going to help a player become good when his ceiling has already been met and some folks just don't have the noggin for it. Pure athleticism will only get you so far in most sports. Not sure about Patterson, no idea who that is.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
He seemed to have college level skills as a junior and senior in high school. He is cool under pressure and stands tall in the pocket. Is able to sense backside pressure and can avoid it. Is able to check down to his 2nd and 3rd receivers. Can throw to a spot and let the pass go even before the receiver has turned his head or made his break. Very accurate throws even in traffic. Mobile enough to make the defense pay for leaving a wide open running lane.

So essentially what you are saying is hes already better than JG.

Does anyone know his speed? Is he going to be a straight pocket passer? In college the ability to scramble is so important.

Reactions: kbear01
Does anyone know his speed? Is he going to be a straight pocket passer? In college the ability to scramble is so important.
He'll be a drop back passer that can move when he has to. All of his scouting reports say he's a pro style quarterback.

Thanks. I am hoping he is like Trevor Lawrence. Trevor is not exactly know for his speed either but we have seen him pick up crucial yards in very important games. If the wish fairy comes I would like Harrison to be like Peyton in the pocket and Dobbs in open space.
I would be happy as heck if he were another Heath Shuler:cool:

I fear your going to be very disappointed if you’re hoping Bailey has the running ability of a Dobbs or Shuler. I’d think Casey Clausen running would be a closer comparison

Reactions: beneVOLence
Thanks. I am hoping he is like Trevor Lawrence. Trevor is not exactly know for his speed either but we have seen him pick up crucial yards in very important games. If the wish fairy comes I would like Harrison to be like Peyton in the pocket and Dobbs in open space.

You want him to be Pat Mahomes, lol

I'll take that !!!

Just to clarify when I referenced JG going brain dead I was really referring to what other posters said about his looking great in practice but very indecisive in games. Maybe brain dead was not the best choice of words as I was not trying to say he was dumb. I want to see HB but am pulling for JG to have a great season.

It would have really helped him to go thru spring practice. The situation kind of cut him off at the knees. Now he basically is just an18 year old True Freshman QB in the SEC which is very tough (ask P Manning)

Reactions: ArdentVol
hope so. If JG has his brain dead issues from past 2 seasons, and I hope he has a great yr, we may find out sooner than later on him. i remember Manning didn't nail down starting job until later in freshman yr. I'm seeing nothing but upsides for Vols going forward. And may I say, damn its about time!!!
Manning won the job after Todd Helton got hurt. Manning wouldn't have played much his freshman season had Jerry Colquitt and Helton weren't lost for the season

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Manning won the job after Todd Helton got hurt. Manning wouldn't have played much his freshman season had Jerry Colquitt and Helton weren't lost for the season
He was already overtaking Helton before the injury...he would’ve been THE guy sooner or later that season. Colquitt wouldn’t have been challenged. He had put in his time and the way that UCLA game started before his knee, we would’ve been a top 5 team (if not the top) with him at the helm...imo.

He was already overtaking Helton before the injury...he would’ve been THE guy sooner or later that season. Colquitt wouldn’t have been challenged. He had put in his time and the way that UCLA game started before his knee, we would’ve been a top 5 team (if not the top) with him at the helm...imo.
It was between Peyton Manning and Brandon Stewart as the season went on and I believe there were fans who were Pro Peyton Manning and Pro Brandon Stewart.

VN Store

Back