Harrison Bailey will break Peyton’s single season records

If they're going to break Peyton's record, it's going to be a lad who (a) starts as a freshman, or sophomore at the very latest, and (b) stays four years, and (c) stays healthy all those four years.

That's a fairly rare combination, esp. with concussion protocols being what they are these days (things Peyton was allowed to play through, these lads won't be).
There are more records than the ones you’re thinking of. Don’t be so narrow minded. No pun intended

Your opinion. Give me the one who can make all the throws and recognize what the defense throws at him.

Bailey makes good check-offs, but he's a stick and holds the ball too long.

In college football:
Hooker would be more of a dual weapon just like Tee was over Peyton.

JMO...

In college football:

JMO...
Thing about DUAL? You need to be able to do both very well for it to be significant. Judging Bailey’s skill set based off that trial run under Pruitt’s umbrella is a clinic in prejudgement.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
Here’s my question. What if the offense doesn’t work here?

Nobody is talking about that, but we have tons of examples of great coordinators who were busts here. I hope it works, but it’s not a slam dunk that our offense will go from scoring less than 20 points in most games to one of the best in college football. We’ll see.

In college football:

JMO...
“Check offs”? Ha. You must have loved JG. Bailey isn’t 4.5 but he is not a stick. He did hold the ball too long but he was a true freshman with very few pre-season reps. His greatest strength is the ability that’s most difficult to coach... progressions.

He’s about to explode. Dual threat is great but a calm, effective mind is more valuable that fast legs, IMO. It’s why Trask is better that Jones. The ability to throw to the best available option is the most powerful ability a QB can have, unless maybe they can run like Vick or Lamar Jackson.

Nobody is talking about that, but we have tons of examples of great coordinators who were busts here. I hope it works, but it’s not a slam dunk that our offense will go from scoring less than 20 points in most games to one of the best in college football. We’ll see.
If it worked at Missouri and it was top 5 nationally at UCF 3 straight years, why wouldn’t it work here? I haven’t seen where anyone is expecting it to be one of the best in college football but I do think we’ll be top 25 in scoring within the next 2 years. Edit: well I guess that could be considered one of the best

“Check offs”? Ha. You must have loved JG. Bailey isn’t 4.5 but he is not a stick. He did hold the ball too long but he was a true freshman with very few pre-season reps. His greatest strength is the ability that’s most difficult to coach... progressions.

He’s about to explode. Dual threat is great but a calm, effective mind is more valuable that fast legs, IMO. It’s why Trask is better that Jones. The ability to throw to the best available option is the most powerful ability a QB can have, unless maybe they can run like Vick or Lamar Jackson.
100% agree. I said something similar to this in another thread. Ppl are so jaded with the scrambling qb but forget it’s the big boys that stand in the pocket firing darts and going through their progressions that still having more success. Bailey gonna win this QB job and make himself a household name in the SEC.

With Drew Lock at QB. Scored 3 against Purdue, 13 against South Carolina, 14 against Auburn and 28 against Georgia (53-28). I actually remember that Georgia game. Lock hit several bombs to that big receiver in the first half, that UGA team was susceptible to the bomb if you had a guy that could chunk it, ultimately cost them the natty.

That was the best defense Georgia has ever had. The rest of the SEC East combined for 44 points against them in 5 games. Alabama only scored 26 vs that defense.

I would love to see Bailey explode and it would help the D to run a slower offense that can get in the endzone.

Let's say Bailey is ready to go, he's still too thin-bodied to be able to run against the big dogs (GA, FLA, Bama) without being injured.

Hooker is just way more durable and his MO fits JH's RPO type of offense, but unless the OL gets their crap together and some receivers step up with new top-tier running backs, then it does not matter who the qb is.

Missouri went from 114th to 14th in year one. That was against the SEC from 5 years ago. That SEC has much better defenses.

That was the best defense Georgia has ever had. The rest of the SEC East combined for 44 points against them in 5 games. Alabama only scored 26 vs that defense.
Go back and watch the game dude, what I said is accurate. Btw Oklahoma scored like 45 on that defense. Understand I'm certainly not hating on Heupel but sometimes we are our own worst enemies in terms of creating unreasonable expectations which only perpetuates the cycle. I do not think it is reasonable to expect us to light up the scoreboard next year against the elite teams in the conference.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
Go back and watch the game dude, what I said is accurate. Btw Oklahoma scored like 45 on that defense. Understand I'm certainly not hating on Heupel but sometimes we are our own worst enemies in terms of creating unreasonable expectations which only perpetuates the cycle. I do not think it is reasonable to expect us to light up the scoreboard next year against the elite teams in the conference.

I'm just telling you that it was the best defense Georgia had fielded under Smart. And I know Oklahoma lit it up. They were using a similar offense to what Heupel runs to do it, and with players Heupel had coached for a couple of years in some cases.

You made it sound like 28 against them was no big deal. Tennessee and Florida combined for 7 points against that Georgia team.

I'm just telling you that it was the best defense Georgia had fielded under Smart. And I know Oklahoma lit it up. They were using a similar offense to what Heupel runs to do it, and with players Heupel had coached for a couple of years in some cases.

You made it sound like 28 against them was no big deal. Tennessee and Florida combined for 7 points against that Georgia team.
Tennessee and Florida were a combined 8-15 that year. Georgia had a good defense, but I went back and looked at the play by play summary on ESPN just to be sure I wasn't crazy. I remembered it was at night, it was one of my law partner's kids birthday. One of Missouri's touchdown drives was 5 yards (after an interception). 2 others were both 63 yard bombs from Lock to Emmanuel Hall, the fourth touchdown was in garbage time. Missouri had a total of 312 yards of offense. Sure, that was alot better than Botch did but they also beat us by like 4 or 5 touchdowns later in the year. I think Heupel can be successful, I just think next year is going to be a tough road to hoe, with the looming sanctions, personnel losses, new systems, etc. If we win 6 games Heupel should be COTY.

Last edited:
I'm taking the under big time. I think CJH will do a true dual threat QB given the losses on our online. KS for the win

If they're going to break Peyton's record, it's going to be a lad who (a) starts as a freshman, or sophomore at the very latest, and (b) stays four years, and (c) stays healthy all those four years.

That's a fairly rare combination, esp. with concussion protocols being what they are these days (things Peyton was allowed to play through, these lads won't be).

Well if HB starts the next 4 years he will have 4 years and the scraps he had this Covid year but I digress. Any QB that is on their way to breaking PM records would in all likely hood forgo their Senior year for the league, So I don't see it happening.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back