Harrison Bailey to UNLV

All bets are off that he’s coming back after all….

Nice young man, but definitely the wrong offensive system for him.

The Hype Train requires a QB to occasionally use his wheels to pick up a third and 8. Harrison doesn't have that ability.

Also at UNLV, another former 5* Tate Martell who must be..... I dunno..... 25????? I don't think he started at UNLV after being at tOSU and Miami.

Interesting landing spot.

Reactions: honda50r
Shrout got a gig with a lower tier P-5 program. Bailey landed at a G-5 program that's 6-24 over the last 3 seasons. Seems those who thought his stock was elite... were way, way off. Wonder if he regrets his decision now?
Dang 6-24. They're Vandy status. I didn't know they were that bad.
Guess playing is better than sitting maybe.
I'll try and see what he does just like I did JG for his brief stint

Reactions: sjt18
Good for him. I love that whole area, but I was there this past early September and it was 112 degrees. Training camp has got to be brutal.

Nice young man, but definitely the wrong offensive system for him.

The Hype Train requires a QB to occasionally use his wheels to pick up a third and 8. Harrison doesn't have that ability.
If it was a system issue, he'd have had better suitors than this. Some folks need to make peace with the fact that HB was overrated to start with.

He had a crazy offer list out of HS. So I guess everyone got it wrong including our own coach.
Chaney didn’t want him while at Georgia or at Tennessee. We picked up recruiting a Texas kid who’s name escapes me when Chaney got here. Some of the offers he had weren’t committable. There were like three or four dynamic players on his high school team that were heavily recruited.

To be fair I thought he would be a lot better here than he turned out to be.

I recall the comment from an Ohio State fan when Tate Martell landed there:

"It's perfect for him. Las Vegas is known for its big busts."

He had a crazy offer list out of HS. So I guess everyone got it wrong including our own coach.
Well you can only go by HS game play and hope they live up to it...lot of them don't
He sure has been bit by bad timing for him.
Pruitt offense would probably have worked for him but Cornbread did Cornbread stuff and in comes CJH
Then NIL and one time transfer became a thing and he had to compete against better known QB's with plenty college game film to back it up

Reactions: Volatility
If it was a system issue, he'd have had better suitors than this. Some folks need to make peace with the fact that HB was overrated to start with.

Maybe the level of talent surrounding him in HS led to him being overrated. He had offers from big-time programs. Maybe they were looking more at development potential and it just never clicked. Anyway, good luck to him.

Shrout got a gig with a lower tier P-5 program. Bailey landed at a G-5 program that's 6-24 over the last 3 seasons. Seems those who thought his stock was elite... were way, way off. Wonder if he regrets his decision now?
Anecdotal, but a buddy of mine who follows recruiting closely said he wasn't impressed with either HB or Arik Gilbert in high school, and this was even before either had committed to a college. Said HB just threw the ball up to Gilbert, and Gilbert made the catch most of the time not because he was getting open necessarily but because he's 6'5'', 250 lbs and was making the catch over 5'10'', 150 lb corners.

Seems like he was pretty dead on, although Gilbert appears to have done nothing in college so far because he's a headcase.

Chaney didn’t want him while at Georgia or at Tennessee. We picked up recruiting a Texas kid who’s name escapes me when Chaney got here. Some of the offers he had weren’t committable. There were like three or four dynamic players on his high school team that were heavily recruited.

To be fair I thought he would be a lot better here than he turned out to be.

The "non-committable offer" thing is interesting. I guess schools do it as a backup plan of sorts. Maybe he was recruited for depth...who knows. Still, he has highly ranked and had a lot of interest from big schools.

Anecdotal, but a buddy of mine who follows recruiting closely said he wasn't impressed with either HB or Arik Gilbert in high school, and this was even before either had committed to a college. Said HB just threw the ball up to Gilbert, and Gilbert made the catch most of the time not because he was getting open necessarily but because he's 6'5'', 250 lbs and was making the catch over 5'10'', 150 lb corners.

Seems like he was pretty dead on, although Gilbert appears to have done nothing in college so far because he's a headcase.
Gilbert looked pretty darn good at LSU as a freshman but he hasn't played since because he's got issues off the field as you say. Supposedly, he is doing better and back with UGA's team now. We'll see.

Maybe the level of talent surrounding him in HS led to him being overrated. He had offers from big-time programs. Maybe they were looking more at development potential and it just never clicked. Anyway, good luck to him.
Yeah, Arik Gilbert for one.

You can probably go back through this thread and find me being called all sorts of names for saying that HB had an "easy button" in HS- Gilbert's size advantage.

Doesn’t make it any easier because he wasn’t very good. But with HB at UNLV, Maurer at SF Austin and Shrout at Colorado (hurt) we may have a clearer picture of why JG was trotted out each week. I’m not a Pruitt fan but it looks as though he was limited in the QB room.

VN Store

Back