Harrison Bailey talks about Heupel’s offense

Bailey’s more confident in Heupel’s offense and feels he just needs to be himself. As part of his maturation, I’m sure he’ll learn to get rid of it if a play‘s not there.

Tennessee football: Harrison Bailey on Josh Heupel offense, QB competition
IF Harrison Bailey wins the starting QB job….he has to be licking his chops at the #’s he is going to have an opportunity at putting up. QB’s Heupel has molded into college studs…Sam Bradford, Landry Jones, Trevor Knight, Drew Lock, Dillon Gabriel. He could become the best pro-style QB here since Casey Clausen.

1626614263753.gif

Judging any qb play, and I even have to admit it myself, JGs as well, with Pruitt in command is useless. That guy had every one tight and scared to play. It got worse every year, just like the play of every guy did, rarely did we see anyone improve year to year, their first year they would look so good, but they almost always backslid. I think JG was still limited, but he got nothing from coaching, as did Bailey last year. If HB is as good as the recruiting/camp circuits said he was, I believe Huepel will bring it out. I only hope HB doesn't get lost in the transfer shuffle. I know the team needs the best it can get at QB1, but these mercenaries I just don't care as much about as I do those who've been on this crazy ride and are still here.

IF Harrison Bailey wins the starting QB job….he has to be licking his chops at the #’s he is going to have an opportunity at putting up. QB’s Heupel has molded into college studs…Sam Bradford, Landry Jones, Trevor Knight, Drew Lock, Dillon Gabriel. He could become the best pro-style QB here since Casey Clausen.

View attachment 381228
I hope Bailey or whoever puts up great #’s , but If that’s the case, we really need Drew Lock to have a big year for the Broncos. Those were mostly very good college QBs that you listed , but that success hasn’t really translated to success in the League for any of them.

i think UCF averaged about 85-86 plays a game last yr. Its going to be fun when it gets humming especially with the types of athletes you can get in the SEC. Alabama, Clemson, Ole Miss, UCF and a few others were right at the top in total plays last yr and Bama only ran about 50 more plays than UCF in 2020 even while playing 13 games to UCFs 10. This offense doesnt mess around. So glad i dont have to watch that Pruitt/Chaney thing anymore. Tennessee ran 200 less plays than UCF while also playing 10 games. Boy its about to be different.

Last edited:
I hope Bailey or whoever puts up great #’s , but If that’s the case, we really need Drew Lock to have a big year for the Broncos. Those were mostly very good college QBs that you listed , but that success hasn’t really translated to success in the League for any of them.
I am focusing on the QB production in college. That is what is most important and relevant to us.

I am focusing on the QB production in college. That is what is most important and relevant to us.
I agree. However, recruiting is big tool as well. I think it would be easy to recruit against us when you can say “Yeah Heupel’s QB’s put up great #’s in college, but he doesn’t prepare you for the next level.” I guarantee that’s something that would be used against us.

View attachment 381228
I am thinking more when it comes to stats along the lines of Manning.

Reactions: Alto1
I really think Bailey will be the starter when the season starts. It's between Maurer and Bailey to me, but I think Bailey is just very cerebral and will be able to process things quickly and get the ball out fast. Maurer so far in his career has always wanted to make the big play rather than the smart play. He's super talented, but can be be accurate and make good decisions when we artificially speed up the game?

i think UCF averaged about 85-86 plays a game last yr. Its going to be fun when it gets humming especially with the types of athletes you can get in the SEC. Alabama, Clemson, Ole Miss, UCF and a few others were right at the top in total plays last yr and Bama only ran about 50 more plays than UCF in 2020 even while playing 13 games to UCFs 10. This offense doesnt mess around. So glad i dont have to watch that Pruitt/Chaney thing anymore. Tennessee ran 200 less plays than UCF while also playing 10 games. Boy its about to be different.
Bama’s offense doesn’t run too much tempo whatsoever. They were really far down in terms of Plays per game and have been for along time. Now since 2014 they are 19-7 vs teams in the Top 50 in plays per game whereas they are 72-1 vs teams outside the Top 50 in plays per game. It really affects their defense tremendously even with lesser talent on the other team (Ole Miss) 2014, 2015, last season etc. Should be fun Go Vols!

Reactions: DuckInAPen and sona
I agree. However, recruiting is big tool as well. I think it would be easy to recruit against us when you can say “Yeah Heupel’s QB’s put up great #’s in college, but he doesn’t prepare you for the next level.” I guarantee that’s something that would be used against us.
Putting up great #’s is what gets you looked at to be in the league. Then you must have excellent mechanics, arm strength, football IQ, etc.

There’s some QB’s on this NFL active list that prove that:

NFL Quarterback - Players Rosters - National Football League - ESPN

I am thinking more when it comes to stats along the lines of Manning.
As much as I have my fingers crossed for that to happen…Manning is a different breed. He was one of the best ever to play the position in college.
We have the skilled positions to run this offense and to make huge plays. We always have to be honest. If Elarbee can get our OL’s playing as a solid unit like he has done at Mizzu and UCF…Bailey has a great shot at setting lots of Tennessee records by the time he leaves.

I'm rooting for Bailey and I think Heupel has made excellent roster management decisions to date, but let's be real, when have you ever seen an article that said "QB trying to win starting job thinks coach's offense sucks"? This is just standard issue July happy talk, I can't wait for practice to start and get some real data.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
As much as I have my fingers crossed for that to happen…Manning is a different breed. He was one of the best ever to play the position in college.
We have the skilled positions to run this offense and to make huge plays. We always have to be honest. If Elarbee can get our OL’s playing as a solid unit like he has done at Mizzu and UCF…Bailey has a great shot at setting lots of Tennessee records by the time he leaves.
One thing that help Manning out a lot was the fact that Fulmer and Cutcliff didn't hold him back. They centered the offense around him and allowed him to show how great he could be. When I look at this offense we have now that is what it does it is going to put Bailey in postion if he is the starter to be one of the all time greats in UT history.

Win or lose….it is easier to watch your team lose when they’ve put up 35 points vs just being beaten like a dog by 35 only after scoring 9.

UCF had the 4th best passing offense 357yds/game, 25th best rush offense 210 yds/game, 8th best scoring offense 42.2 pts/game last season with only 10 games played in a Covid season.

If Elarbee gets our OL in sync…just to be able to handle/play at the level of Vandy, UK, Mizzu, gameCocks, Pitt, BG, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama, and Ole Miss…we might surprise many…including in this fan base.

One thing that help Manning out a lot was the fact that Fulmer and Cutcliff didn't hold him back. They centered the offense around him and allowed him to show how great he could be. When I look at this offense we have now that is what it does it is going to put Bailey in postion if he is the starter to be one of the all time greats in UT history.
Heupel has never struggled to build his offenses to the strength’s of his QB. The more comfortable and confident the QB is….the more motivated and driven the rest of the team will be. We have plenty of speed and weapons. It’s on Elarbee to get our OL to play together. That’s the key.

I just cringed a little when I read your post which reminded me of Dooley saying his goal was to run 80 + plays per game and always end the game on offense. But I hope you’re right nevertheless

Heupel has never struggled to build his offenses to the strength’s of his QB. The more comfortable and confident the QB is….the more motivated and driven the rest of the team will be. We have plenty of speed and weapons. It’s on Elarbee to get our OL to play together. That’s the key.
Agree very much the trenches are always the keys in any offense.

Doug Matthews reiterated on his show today that Hoople is very familiar with Milton and he brought Milton in for a reason.
I think Milton is kind of a security blanket. If no one really separates in fall camp, he is just going to throw the best athlete he has out there and let him learn on the job.

HB seems mature enough to handle the competition. Seems like the team is his to lead, whether or not if he is the starter.

I like the idea of scoring points in Knoxville. We have a few important away game this year. I’d like to see us scoring enough points there too.

I think Milton is kind of a security blanket. If no one really separates in fall camp, he is just going to throw the best athlete he has out there and let him learn on the job.
Maybe. We don't know who it's gonna be. Everyone needs to keep their powder dry and not add to the creation of a QB controversy.

VN Store

Back