Happy Birthday Bernard King

John Johnson from Bearden, he was a senior when I was a freshman. I never played against him, but saw him hoop Fulton out, in an in-school game, iIrc. Was a pretty good player for Lefty until after Bias went pro, never really did anything after that, at Maryland

As a SR he started every game, averaged 15/3/3, and was 36% from 3. He had a mediocre JR year. He was a role player at the ACC level.

Love Fred Jenkins, didn’t he hit a half court shot to beat somebody, too ?

I know that Gary Carter did versus American. Well, actually a dribble or two closer after stealing a pass near half court. It was probably 30-35 feet, but that doesn’t sound as good. It was in the 1981 Volunteer Classic in one of Carter’s last games before getting booted off of the team.

Sports illustrated had a great picture of Fred Jenkins dunking on a fast break. If I find it I'll post it.
My favorite was the SI preseason college basketball preview issue, that had a picture of Tony White, while calling him the Michael Jordan of the SEC.

Easily one of the best college players I have ever seen and on the first team All-SEC of all time. I was a youngster during the Ernie & Bernie show. In a handful of the best back to the basket 6’7 players or under NBA player ever. (Barkley, Dantley). His turnaround release was so quick he was undaunted by much taller and bigger players. And few were better finishing from the wing off a fast break. (Save perhaps James Worthy or Karl Malone). He was relentless.

King walked into the NBA and averaged 24 per game as a rookie. The 5 years he played prior to mangling his knee, he FG% was just incredible. 5 years after he destroyed his knee he averaged 28 pt game. He was just an offensive machine, who also defended and was a decent rebounder.
Good post......I followed Bernard's entire career and had it not been for the unfortunate injury I think he had a shot of being at least 3rd all-time in NBA scoring. In the current world it's doubtful any player could return to form after suffering the type of injury Bernard did. I recall at least 2 years of rehab was required and he amazingly pulled it off and carried the Washington team for several years. Just wished he'd had a few good team-mates on that squad. He definitely made me a Knicks fan for quite awhile.

He's very deserving of every good word said in this thread and a true example of what a VFL is all about. Happy Birthday Bernard !

VN Store

Back