Happy 30th birthday, Atari 2600!

I found a huge box of Atari 2600 games in my parents' basement about 10 years ago. I still have them. My wife's father has an original Atari 2600 somewhere in a box in their garage and he has a few old tube TVs. One of these days when there is a long holiday break like Thanksgiving or Christmas I'm going to hook it up.

Reactions: coach12
The console that started it all for me! I remember getting one for Christmas when I was 10 years old with Combat and Missile Command. I've been a gaming junkie ever since!

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
You’re older than I imagined. Lol. And yes, I also had a 2600.
I had a 2600. Missile Command was awesome, as was Asteroids. I had a game that I can't remember the name of that was a space themed shooting game. You warped to different levels, complete with the star field whizzing by your view and then the view looked like you were looking out the cockpit of a fighter and you had twin lasers. I loved that game as a kid.

Reactions: Quaint88
I had a 2600. Missile Command was awesome, as was Asteroids. I had a game that I can't remember the name of that was a space themed shooting game. You warped to different levels, complete with the star field whizzing by your view and then the view looked like you were looking out the cockpit of a fighter and you had twin lasers. I loved that game as a kid.
It was Starmaster. That was one of my favorites, too. I remember that you had to use the switches on the console. Berzerk and Dark Caverns were also great.

Reactions: vader
It was Starmaster. That was one of my favorites, too. I remember that you had to use the switches on the console. Berzerk and Dark Caverns were also great.
Thank you!!! Yes, you used the switches to go to the map.

Reactions: Quaint88
Thank you!!! Yes, you used the switches to go to the map.
That was hard for me to figure out with no instructions, but once I did, it was my favorite for a while. The enemy ships were somewhere between a TIE fighter and a Romulan ship from the original Star Trek, but it was the closest thing to dog-fighting in an X-wing that was available at the time (at least for me). I remember that some of the faster ones were hard to get a bead on, and some of the energy stations were really hard to catch.

Reactions: vader
Some of my fond Atari 2600 memories...

Missile Command
Combat
Asteroids
Pitfall 1 and 2
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Demon Attack
Defender
Pac Man
Donkey Kong
River Raid
Dig Dug
Kaboom
H.E.R.O.

I remember the days as a kid when I would go to garage sales with my grandmother, and over half the time I'd come home with some Atari 2600 games, or a few times I actually got some 5200 game even though I never actually had a 5200.

You’re older than I imagined. Lol. And yes, I also had a 2600.

This is the “I am old” gaming thread.

I was 5 when I got my first Atari 2600. Then got the 5200. I still remember playing pitfall and then being amazed by pitfall 2.

Nothing better then going toys r us and looking at the gsme flaps and flipping them up to see that backs.

Those were the days.

Reactions: Freak
This is the “I am old” gaming thread.

I was 5 when I got my first Atari 2600. Then got the 5200. I still remember playing pitfall and then being amazed by pitfall 2.

Nothing better then going toys r us and looking at the gsme flaps and flipping them up to see that backs.

Those were the days.

I remember doing that starting with NES and Genesis/SNES games but I don't ever remember doing that for Atari games. Come to think of it, I don't think we even had Toys R Us during the Atari era. I always got my Atari games at places like K-Mart, Hills, etc.

I remember doing that starting with NES and Genesis/SNES games but I don't ever remember doing that for Atari games. Come to think of it, I don't think we even had Toys R Us during the Atari era. I always got my Atari games at places like K-Mart, Hills, etc.

Hills was the bomb. You are making me sad now. Corn dog at the snack bar.

Heck, Kmart had a cafeteria and great Mac n cheese too.

Ah, the old days.

Ah, the old days.

Oh man, talk to me! As a young kid, Hills was great! They had both really good electronics and toy departments! I liked their eatery as well. We always got their popcorn and they also had killer soft pretzels! Another really cool thing about our Hills was every 4th of July they would put on a great fireworks show.

I have fond memories of eating at the K-Mart cafeteria as well! I used to love their chocolate pudding! LOL!

Reactions: davethevol and NEO
Oh man, talk to me! As a young kid, Hills was great! They had both really good electronics and toy departments! I liked their eatery as well. We always got their popcorn and they also had killer soft pretzels! Another really cool thing about our Hills was every 4th of July they would put on a great fireworks show.

I have fond memories of eating at the K-Mart cafeteria as well! I used to love their chocolate pudding! LOL!

Oh man I had forgotten about Hills. I loved that place, it's video game section was one of the best I've ever seen. Of course I was a small kid but still. I have fond memories of playing the Atari 2600 and 5200 there, NES, and the Sega Master System. Which I'm pretty sure that may have been the only place I ever played the SMS. It seemed like they had a setup for every system that was out at the time, and they always had the game I wanted. I remember my mom going shopping there and she'd basically drop me off in the video game section and I never wanted to leave. I think I even told my parents one time that when I "grew up" I wanted to work in the Hills' video game section. That seemed like the best job in the world at the time.

Service Merchandise had a pretty good video game section too

Ah, the old days.
K-Mart the corner of Harding and Nollensville Rd in Nashville had the Blue Light Cafe. Not sure if all K-Mart cafes had that name.

K-Mart the corner of Harding and Nollensville Rd in Nashville had the Blue Light Cafe. Not sure if all K-Mart cafes had that name.
The cafeteria in the K-Mart where I grew up was smack-dab in the middle of the store. It was basically partitioned off from the rest of the store, kind of like a giant office cubicle.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly

VN Store

Back