Hal Mumme discusses 1997 Tennessee-Kentucky game

Watched the second half from Doak Campbell Stadium after warming up with my folks for the FSU - Florida game.

I remember everyone in the country thought Peyton locked up the Heisman in that game..until ESPN got involved.
Haven't watch a Heisman presentation since.

The Heisman is the annual trophy for the second best player in college football iirc. I've always thought they should have an award for the best. Could call it the Peyton Manning Trophy. Just my 2 cents.

I remember everyone in the country thought Peyton locked up the Heisman in that game..until ESPN got involved.

I think it was such a foregone conclusion that "Peyton Fatigue" was created by ESPN and ABC to create some sort of drama. Screw them.

Peyton put on a clinic the previous year as well. That was a great game too.

And on ESPN radio they played Woodson's "Number one player in the country, baby" bump with nearly every network ID, intro, and outro that fall.

It was so very obvious.

And it worked.

Reactions: feathersax
And on ESPN radio they played Woodson's "Number one player in the country, baby" bump with nearly every network ID, intro, and outro that fall.

It was so very obvious.

And it worked.
The power of the media never ceases to amaze me.

If you like offense and are a Vols fan, this is about the best game I can remember. It was so much fun just to watch going up and down the field. I believe in an interview Peyton said, the offense was almost just wanting the defense to let KY score so they could get back out there quicker. Was almost like a basketball game on a football field.

Absolutely true. Most sports fans still just assume Peyton naturally won the Heisman that season. Because how could he not?
Yep. A ton of non-Tennessee fans have mentioned in passing over the years to me something about "Peyton winning the Heisman." They are always surprised when I come back with "Actually, he never won it."

Woodson sealed it when he ran that punt back for a TD in the Ohio St game that year. He'd had a season of highlight-reel plays leading up to that, and his punt return reversed momentum in a huge end-of-season rivalry game that had national title implications (Michigan was #1, Ohio St was #4). The CFB media landscape back then wasn't what it is today. The Big Ten was the premier conference and got most of the national airtime and attention. If the 1997 football season occurred today, Peyton in all likelihood wins it.

The Heisman has always been a media-driven, hype-based award given to who the media can construct the best story around, rather than who the best player truly is. You can't construct good stories around players at less visible positions and you can't construct good stories around players on teams that aren't in the limelight. In 1997, Michigan absolutely was more in the limelight than Tennessee was, and Peyton had a reputation of a guy who put up huge stats but laid eggs in big games.

Woodson wasnt even the best player on his team. ESPN did everything they could to make sure Manning didn't win the Heisman. I don't know ANYONE that watched football besides Woodson and his family that thought he should have won. Just more evidence that ESPN hates anything to do with TN. They can kiss my Orange Azz.

Even my brothers who HATE the Vols ( Vandy season ticket holders. o_O) thought that was BS.

VN Store

Back