Hail to the Washington Commanders

#1!!!!!

1. 1991 Washington (17-2, 53.9%)​

Here's the team that DVOA says is the greatest of all time. Washington led the NFL in points scored and was second in points allowed. It lost by a field goal to the Cowboys after an 11-0 start, then sat its starters in the second half of the final week and lost to the Eagles by two points. That was it for losses.

For the 1991 season, Washington was second in offensive DVOA behind San Francisco, third on defense behind Philadelphia and New Orleans and first on special teams. But what's more impressive is where Washington ranks in DVOA out of 1,309 teams going all the way back to 1981. It's the only team to rank in the top 50 for all three phases. (Specifically, Washington is 50th in offense, 36th in defense and 19th in special teams.)

Washington won games during the regular season by scores like 45-0 (Detroit), 34-0 (Phoenix) and 23-0 (Philadelphia). It beat the Falcons 56-17 and the Rams 27-6. Then came the playoffs. A rematch with the No. 8 Falcons ended with a score of 24-7. The Lions made it to the NFC championship despite ranking only 13th in DVOA, only to be pummeled by Washington, 41-10. Washington had a 37-10 lead over the No. 4 Bills with half of the fourth quarter left in Super Bowl XXVI, eventually winning the Lombardi Trophy 37-24 after two late Bills touchdowns sandwiched around a successful onside kick.

#1!!!!!

1. 1991 Washington (17-2, 53.9%)​

Here's the team that DVOA says is the greatest of all time. Washington led the NFL in points scored and was second in points allowed. It lost by a field goal to the Cowboys after an 11-0 start, then sat its starters in the second half of the final week and lost to the Eagles by two points. That was it for losses.

For the 1991 season, Washington was second in offensive DVOA behind San Francisco, third on defense behind Philadelphia and New Orleans and first on special teams. But what's more impressive is where Washington ranks in DVOA out of 1,309 teams going all the way back to 1981. It's the only team to rank in the top 50 for all three phases. (Specifically, Washington is 50th in offense, 36th in defense and 19th in special teams.)

Washington won games during the regular season by scores like 45-0 (Detroit), 34-0 (Phoenix) and 23-0 (Philadelphia). It beat the Falcons 56-17 and the Rams 27-6. Then came the playoffs. A rematch with the No. 8 Falcons ended with a score of 24-7. The Lions made it to the NFC championship despite ranking only 13th in DVOA, only to be pummeled by Washington, 41-10. Washington had a 37-10 lead over the No. 4 Bills with half of the fourth quarter left in Super Bowl XXVI, eventually winning the Lombardi Trophy 37-24 after two late Bills touchdowns sandwiched around a successful onside kick.
Obviously easy to say this about arguably one of the greatest teams of all time but that team was the most impressive thing I ever watched. Still love the 87/88 Super Bowl more though.

They got rid of Eric Bieniemy to hire this clown? Yet another brilliant move by the Redskins.
A. EB sucks a***.

B. They are almost certainly going to trade up to draft the hometown kid (who was just coached by KK).

Obviously easy to say this about arguably one of the greatest teams of all time but that team was the most impressive thing I ever watched. Still love the 87/88 Super Bowl more though.
This SB is partially why I'm a Redskins fan.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I thought it was because your Uncle was a Redskins fan.
Hence why I said partially. My uncle was/is, and we played Tecmo a lot together on Nintendo. The ‘91 SB was the first time I got to stay up late to watch a game.

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back