Hail to the Washington Commanders

Notre Dame now has a black student as the “leprechaun”. Would be like the redskins picking a white guy to play the Chief. The horror!

Why would you pick a name if you had negative opinions about the ethnicity. You pick a name of a group of people and their culture that you respect and hold in high regard. The term was used by the franchise as homage to the American Indian and their fighting spirit.
Just like they weren’t the most racist team/ownership group with the last franchise to add a black player bc the the coach hated people with that particular skin color.

Just like they weren’t the most racist team/ownership group with the last franchise to add a black player bc the the coach hated people with that particular skin color.
How long have those owners been dead for and how did the team name have anything to do with that? What other franchises were ever owned by someone who might have been racist? Should those teams change their names too? Does the team name “Redskins” still inspire racism against black people today?

In all seriousness I think it’s pretty telling that the only outrage people can muster for native Americans is over a football team name. Nobody actually seems to cares about trying to make their lives better now. This is just one big virtue signal parade. Go after the football team in Washington and pat yourselves on the back for doing something? Good work!

^Actually, not just the Redskins. Christopher Columbus statues are being burned and Mount Rushmore is being criticized. All in all a lot of progress to helping people’s every day lives. Good job

Reactions: peaygolf
I guess the Los Angeles Angels will need to be renamed, not to offend atheists and agnostics?

Cities and counties are next on the agenda.

Piece of the puzzle. High profile event that represents the culture and movement that is destroying America from within.

It’s definitely changing America from within. Destroying is a funny word for it. I guess from some perspectives that might be the case. Doesn’t really matter though. The world’s been around much longer than America, and it’ll be around long after it’s gone.

Are people who own slaves good people (referring to the first two)?
George Washington and Thomas Jefferson? You dont think they should be honored? George Washington is a ****** person? I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at that

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson? You dont think they should be honored? George Washington is a ****** person? I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at that

You didn’t answer the question. Are people who own slaves good people? Why should we honor slave owners?

Reactions: NashVol11

In a scientific survey of more than 1,000 Native Americans, roughly half of the participants said they were offended by the Redskins’ name. Moreover, 65 percent said they were offended by sports fans performing a “tomahawk chop,” and 73 percent said they were offended by fans imitating Native American dances.

A New Study Contradicts a Washington Post Poll About How Native Americans View the Redskins' Name | Washingtonian (DC)

You didn’t answer the question. Are people who own slaves good people? Why should we honor slave owners?

I will attempt an answer.

There are no good people. Only God is good. The rest of us saps are miserable failures. He loves us anyway.

So should we honor any people? If not then we should get rid of birthday celebrations.

Are these men perfect people? Certainly not. But there were things about them that were admirable, that were aspirational. They had courage. They had grit. We need more of that.

I think it is wrong to judge a people by another people's standards. In 200 years people will be talking about how bad we were because of things we took for granted and didn't rid ourselves of. Injustices. Oppression. Systems that keep the most vulnerable down. Have you ever tried to adopt a child? You can try to help an orphan through adoption, or you can put your other child through college for the same money. It is high wickedness that we practice every day in our society.

Was American slaver wrong? Absolutely. Many of the men we honor who kept slaves recognized that it was wrong and needed to pass away but didn't know how to make that happen. But they contributed to figuring it out and helped it pass. Should we honor aspirations? Should we honor good faith failures? I think we should.

But we should do it with eyes wide open. We shouldn't worship these men or "hagiographize" them - which we sometimes do. We should learn from their successes and failures and extend to the dead the same grace and forgiveness we would like extended toward us in our good faith failures and eyes-closed living.

There are police officers who hold their knees on peoples throats until they die. But there are also good police officers. If 200 years from now some people are saying What was wrong with all those 21st century police officers? Why didn't they just kick out the bad ones? Well, its not that simple. And probably getting rid of slavery - an institution that has existed from time immemorial - was not that simple either.

Leave the statues up, mostly. As symbols of the good and the bad.

"The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones. "

Lets remember the good as well and build upon it. We see better than they did because we are standing on the shoulders of giants.

I'll hang up now and let us talk about the 'Redskins.' (How COULD they?)

Reactions: zjcvols
107020806_3483222528391077_8175587756722936250_o.jpg

VN Store

Back