Had To Share Again

Just boys being boys, maybe a gal or two trying to be boys. You know, we like playing in the dirt, daring each other to do insane and stupid things, getting hurt and bragging about our scars. So these guys figure, what's the harm of jumping out of a perfectly functioning airplane. Hoping your chute opens. But if it doesn't figure you can just grab an eagle on the way down. Leave it perched on a tree branch, and drop the last 3-4 feet to the ground. Hoo-Raah!

Just boys being boys. As their moms would tell you, they're missing sugar and spice, but are drenched in El Yucateco Chile Habanero Xxxtra Hot Sauce.

Last edited:
I’d be so scared of drifting into something like a building or a highway. Couldn’t pay me to do that. Unless the currency was wins vs Alabama
The danger of drifting into a building or other obstacle is non existent. Those parachutes can fly at a speed of nearly 35 MPH and are steerable. It was a good demo, though, and the downplane maneuver with the two spiraling was well done. The Flag hitting the turf was a no-no, though. You should try a tandem sometime!

The danger of drifting into a building or other obstacle is non existent. Those parachutes can fly at a speed of nearly 35 MPH and are steerable. It was a good demo, though, and the downplane maneuver with the two spiraling was well done. The Flag hitting the turf was a no-no, though. You should try a tandem sometime!

I can understand luketney's fear. While the danger with a properly trained chuteist is very low, not to offend you or anybody; the absolutionist claim that the danger is nonexistent is dead wrong for a variety of reasons. One, human stupidity; some nitwit decides to perform an unsafe maneuver and gets what he deserves. Two, Momma Nature doesn't give a dit or a dut about what humans say, believe, or think. She can send a wind gust, an updraft, or down draft at the worst time, despite any weather forecast to royally phut you and your parachute up. Three, “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong”. -Murphy's Law

Me? Being the nutcase I am, I'd jump with these guys. See, I know better but don't know that I know better. Which has and still keeps getting me into all kinds of trouble.

My older brother was in the Navy in what eventually became the SEALS, UDT. He was a clerk but had to go through all the same training as the actual team members. He sent some pictures home to our mom of him descending from an airplane. My mom just about died. My dad was in the National Guard and jumped as well. I was in the Air Force, and one day during basic training, the Special Forces recruiter came into our class, looking for anyone who would like to transfer to that group. My eyes lit up and a big smile came over my face, as I will be first in line to join them. Just as quickly, my smile became a frown, as my job classification was one of several that was so understaffed that I couldn't transfer out. Broke my heart.

I pull this video up periodically just to get a little jolt of adrenaline.

Those guys are straight badass.

Thanks OP

I’ve seen this done several times (live and TV) and the flag always hits the ground. How can it be avoided?

I’ve seen this done several times (live and TV) and the flag always hits the ground. How can it be avoided?
I have 503 total jumps, of which about 65 were demonstration jumps. I only had the flag on 2 of them, but if the flag size is reduced, it is easy with a ground crew to collect it as it descends. Met my wife of 36 years skydiving, but did give it up in the late 90s as my body aged. Great memories.

Any person who jumps out of a plane has balls of steel. Personally, my mind simply cannot overcome jumping out of a perfectly good plane. Awesome video!

Don't know if it is standard, but the times I went skydiving the planes looked and sounded like they were falling apart.

You were probably safer out there with a parachute.

I was not military, so I am talking just civilian dive schools here.

Reactions: MR_VOL
Great video, being an Air Force veteran, I'd like to see it with the PJ's jumping (Air Force Pararescue). But hey, Seals work also!

Still an awesome video.

Those boys are fearless. GBO

Dang...did they ever say why they had to jump? Seemed like the airplane was still under power...only things that should be dumped out of working airplanes imo..water for fires....food first aid for trapped people...bombs....and those surrender or get bombed leaflets

I have 503 total jumps, of which about 65 were demonstration jumps. I only had the flag on 2 of them, but if the flag size is reduced, it is easy with a ground crew to collect it as it descends. Met my wife of 36 years skydiving, but did give it up in the late 90s as my body aged. Great memories.
Saw a jump like this at VT. TV crew had a cable stretched E-W across the top of the upper deck for the field camera. The parachuters came over the N end zone Jumbotron, dropped under the cable and landed on the 50yd line...at night...amazing.

VN Store

Back