Gus Malzhan / Train

oh, i don't know either.... millions of dollars and the chance to create a legacy at any other school that isn't facing probation?

You assume they are receiving million dollar offers from other schools. I could be wrong but name another major P5 program that is looking for a head coach. I will hang up and listen

I dont really like him, but he did maintain a winning program (with some ups and downs). He would probably do better than the last 3 anyhow.

I would be OK with Gus. He would get us back in the the East mix consistently.

I’m mentally prepared for Steele to be named permanent HC though.

Pulling for Gus as new HC for Vols

Never had a losing season in the SEC
Has beat Bama / Been to the NC game
Squeaky clean background
No Buyout clause
Recruits good and his players love the guy

And, it's time for UT to prove (to the fans $$$) that they're going all in the get the best-proven HC that's available.

I'd take Kiffin, but he'd just be going for another pay raise like Gundy did to us, two times.
He's got 21 million reasons not to coach this year and take it off and wait for a good situation to arise.

You guys don't want Malzahn, trust me. I mean maybe if you can't get anyone else due to NCAA issues, but that's the only scenario wherein he'd be a "good hire".

1) He's the most stubborn man imaginable. Unwilling to admit to himself that his initial fluke "offensive genius" has been countered and yet he keeps trying to do the same thing over and over again. Despite good offensive recruits, his offense has been bad more often than its been good in the past ~5 years.
2) He's deathly paranoid and has zero coaching network. Won't trust anyone else to help him offensively, so he surrounds himself with "yes men" and former accomplices who won't question his offensive decisions and outright incompetence.
3) Zero ability to develop quarterbacks in his system. Every single top QB that Auburn has signed out of HS has regressed or been a complete flop - and several have signed under him. Bo Nix was a 5-star. Even Jarrett Stidham regressed under him in the two years he was at Auburn. You can't win without a QB and this flaw in itself is basically a fatal flaw.
4) His offensive philosophy is brainless. WR's are pigeonholed into preset roles and everyone on the opposing sidelines has known the playcalls for a while now. Doesn't attack the middle of the field at all or help his quarterback by scripting safety nets or easy completions. He's deathly afraid of turnovers so he'd rather the QB chuck it over the receiver's head 40 yards downfield than attack the middle of the field. Every DC has figured this out.
5) Absolutely abhorrent roster management. He can't even scout his own roster. Auburn has about ~6-7 TE's on roster despite the fact that his offense has no capability to utilize them. The entire positional group gets maybe 10-20 passes thrown their way in the course of an entire season and he keeps bringing more of them in for some reason.
6) Doesn't understand modern program building. This ties into point #2. All of the successful programs are moving to "pro organization" models with heavy off-field support staff and professionals managing recruiting and operations. Malzahn still wants to decide himself who gets recruited, and his judgment is brainless. He has basically collapsed the OL at Auburn by somehow failing to sign any competent HS OT's and going 3-4 seasons in a row wherein he signed 2-3 TOTAL OL per year. Bryan Harsin came in and has offered LOCAL kids from nearby parts of Georgia and Alabama that somehow didn't get an offer from the past staff. He has spent the last few seasons trying the patch up the OL with prayer grad-transfers - it hasn't worked. No offense can function without an OL and any competent coach knows this. Zero OL + zero QB development is the recipe for Auburn's offensive inability.

He's not a good coach. At all. He basically made a career over a few flukes (ie: Cam Newton magic). Even when he had Cam and then Nick Marshall, he didn't even really know what he had until ~3 games into the season in both cases. That brings another point: it takes him basically 3-4 games to start each season to even figure out what he has offensively. Its as if they do nothing in the spring/fall. After Marshall left he had Lamar Jackson basically waiting on an offer that never came (he was Auburn's for the taking). You'd think - hey, we've figured something out with this running-QB thing, but nope. He keeps trying to "prove" something by trying to go with passing QB's, with the problem being that his passing offense is absolutely pedestrian (like HS level) and his ability to develop the necessities of a passing QB is nonexistent.

I was talking about him the other day with someone and we wondered if he would leave ole miss or not and do to them what he did to us. I don't think he would since he is already in the SEC again.
Let his buddy Ed O.leave LSU,he’d leave the Grove at midnight

I'd take him if he's interested. He'd get us back to winning 8-9 games a year, at the very least. That's what we need right now.

I am 100% on the Gus bus! I think he could be the answer to the poop storm that has overtaken Knoxville for the last 12 years.

VN Store

Back