Gus Malzhan / Train

You would think all the fired SEC coaches with buyouts would never have to work again but many do.

Most of them are contractually obligated to work for a few years to collect their buyout money. Malzahn got a sweetheart deal where he wasn't required to do that.

No successful coach wants to jump on this sinking ship, especially without knowing the full scope of NCAA sanctions. It could be 1-3 years before we know that. We aren’t going after the bargain hire this time, we are going after anyone that will come.

Reactions: tango
Not the flashy hire but he would bring credibility and stability to the program and is certainly better than Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt (probably combined). Would be my 3rd choice for the job after Campbell and Herman. However, his buyout was 21mil plus so I do not see him very interested and would more than likely go the announcer/ commentator route for a year or 2 before coaching again.

why would any "proven" coach from a p5 school want to come here as we stare down the barrel of sanctions and scholarship reductions for at least a couple of years?

why would any "proven" coach from a p5 school want to come here as we stare down the barrel of sanctions and scholarship reductions for at least a couple of years?

I don't know..........millions of dollars and the chance to create a legacy. Coaches at this level are uber competitive and are arrogant

No successful coach wants to jump on this sinking ship, especially without knowing the full scope of NCAA sanctions. It could be 1-3 years before we know that. We aren’t going after the bargain hire this time, we are going after anyone that will come.
Yep! I'm afraid you got that right

Reactions: vol66
lol
I'll take Kiffin back in a heartbeat, just don't think he'll leave Ole Miss
I was talking about him the other day with someone and we wondered if he would leave ole miss or not and do to them what he did to us. I don't think he would since he is already in the SEC again.

Malzahn absolutely has been owned by Georgia. Sure he has a few wins against Saban but Georgia has his number.

Auburn fans had a love/hate relationship with Malzan. However the ones who disliked him believed AU should be on the same level with AL and their not. He did win a lot of games but not enough championships for AU fans. He did screw AL's season over 2-3 times with wins which I loved.

I have a gut feeling Malzahn will go into broadcasting. Maybe take a year off first, but he seems very well suited for a broadcasting gig. And he's made so much buyout money off of Auburn, he doesn't really have to work another day in his life.
No, he will just manage his 100 Waffle Houses he owns - he is set for life financially

After the s!@t show I've watched at UTK for over a decade, I'd hop on the Gus Bus in a heartbeat.

Napier, Freeze, Chadwell, Gus, or Herman I would knock folks down to get them here. Don't figure it will be any of them but I sure wished it was.

I'm ready for some 8-9 win seasons with an occasional big year. Beats 3 wins.

Auburn fans had a love/hate relationship with Malzan. However the ones who disliked him believed AU should be on the same level with AL and their not. He did win a lot of games but not enough championships for AU fans. He did screw AL's season over 2-3 times with wins which I loved.
They (the ones that didn't like him) also complained about how simple his offense was and how all good DCs had Auburn figured out because he was too stubborn to change.

Don't think he and Steele are on the best of terms. He's not an option for UT as long as Steele is on the staff.

I don't know..........millions of dollars and the chance to create a legacy. Coaches at this level are uber competitive and are arrogant

oh, i don't know either.... millions of dollars and the chance to create a legacy at any other school that isn't facing probation?

VN Store

Back