The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

I normally try to keep the politics out of this thread, but buy it cheap, stack it deep.

Dems Debut National Ammo Control Bill in Congress :: Guns.com

An effort to close what bill’s supporters term the “ammo loophole” would make mandatory background checks the nationwide norm for ammunition sales.

Under measures proposed in the House by Florida’s Debbie Wasserman Schultz and the Senate by Connecticut’s Richard Blumenthal, would-be ammunition buyers would have to be first vetted by the FBI’s National Instant Background Check System. The lawmakers, allied with national gun control groups, say the move to add controls to bullet sales would help save lives.

Wasserman Schultz’s bill, entered Wednesday as HR 1705 with 54 co-sponsors, would force potentially millions of ammunition purchases into the already swamped NICS clearinghouse where transfers would be approved, delayed or denied. Those with a valid state-issued firearms permit issued within the past five years would not have to submit to a check before they could buy ammo. Exceptions would be allowed for police and the military as well as those sharing ammunition between immediate family, such as spouses, or temporary transfers “necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm”

How would you guys treat this 1911? Its covered in rust and has pitting in some places.

Last edited:
How would you guys treat this 1911? Its covered in rust and has pitting in some places.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Absolute trash and not worth saving... Send it to me and Ill cut it up for you:cool:.

I am not sure how to best address the pitting until you get down to it and see how deep the pitting is. I have had good luck with XXXXtra fine steel wool (also known as 0000), a spray oil (rem oil), A bunch of t shirt rags. Spray, LIGHTLY loosen rust with the steel wool until you have a muddy coat then wipe off with t shirts and spray again repeat. Don't use a steel brush no matter how much you are tempted, a toothbrush or small horsehair paintbrush sometimes helps. There really arent any shortcuts I have found. Time, elbow grease and patience will get best results IMO.

Depending on the results and how deep pits are and contingent on your collectability feeling of your Colt, you may need to parkerize or hot re blue after the elbow grease. YMMV I am not gunsmith or armorer just a guy who has dealt with a lot of guns in salt and duck hunting put up damp guns. Calling @Grand Vol @ETV !

Soak it in vinegar for a couple days. Take it apart first. Dry the parts well before you put it back together.

Absolute trash and not worth saving... Send it to me and Ill cut it up for you:cool:.

I am not sure how to best address the pitting until you get down to it and see how deep the pitting is. I have had good luck with XXXXtra fine steel wool (also known as 0000), a spray oil (rem oil), A bunch of t shirt rags. Spray, LIGHTLY loosen rust with the steel wool until you have a muddy coat then wipe off with t shirts and spray again repeat. Don't use a steel brush no matter how much you are tempted, a toothbrush or small horsehair paintbrush sometimes helps. There really arent any shortcuts I have found. Time, elbow grease and patience will get best results IMO.

Depending on the results and how deep pits are and contingent on your collectability feeling of your Colt, you may need to parkerize or hot re blue after the elbow grease. YMMV I am not gunsmith or armorer just a guy who has dealt with a lot of guns in salt and duck hunting put up damp guns. Calling @Grand Vol @ETV !

@MEDVOL

Pretty much this. Or send it in to Colt or a custom shop like Robar and see if they can refinish it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pretty much what GV & bag12 said. If you have time and patience then give it a try. Other than that, call Colt customer service.

Piece of history. Worth saving, if it can be.

You poke it, you own it (Man Law). Might cost a bit, but then you own a piece of history, and the best .45 ever made.

Ship it to GV. He'll do the right thing. Don't tell him it's a Colt.

:cool:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
What’s the story on this gun? Looks like a 1911 trigger but arched MSH and modified front sight. DCM gun? Commercial? I would start there first before aggressively refinishing it.

What’s the story on this gun? Looks like a 1911 trigger but arched MSH and modified front sight. DCM gun? Commercial? I would start there first before aggressively refinishing it.

Certainly not a bad idea to contact Colt with the serial number to determine the exact make and model or whether it's undergone some custom shop work in the past.

VN Store

Back