The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

I've been buying barrels from a company down in GA called Stone Mountain Arsenal. I don't think they'll win any marksmen awards but they are serviceable. You should check them out. They have some sales that are hard to bturn down sometimes.
Flaming Dragon - Stone Mountain Arsenal

I bought a 1911 barrel from them a few years ago. It did fine for IDPA stuff. Let me know what kind of accuracy you get from it. I'm more particular about my barrels for rifles than I am pistols.

I bought a 1911 barrel from them a few years ago. It did fine for IDPA stuff. Let me know what kind of accuracy you get from it. I'm more particular about my barrels for rifles than I am pistols.
I'll do it. I'm not concerned about pinpoint accuracy for this gun. If I can hit a pig at 150 Yards that will be fine for me. I bought a 8" 300 B/O barrel from then for my SBR and I've been extremely please with it. I haven't tried anything over a 100 yards but I never miss a 3" steel target. I need to adjust my sights a little cause it's hitting about 2" low and left but the groupings have been awesome.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I'll do it. I'm not concerned about pinpoint accuracy for this gun. If I can hit a pig at 150 Yards that will be fine for me. I bought a 8" 300 B/O barrel from then for my SBR and I've been extremely please with it. I haven't tried anything over a 100 yards but I never miss a 3" steel target. I need to adjust my sights a little cause it's hitting about 2" low and left but the groupings have been awesome.

That rifle is just begging to wear a decent scope and be feed some match ammo. Let it stretch it's legs and see how it can run.

That rifle is just begging to wear a decent scope and be feed some match ammo. Let it stretch it's legs and see how it can run.
I've got a really nice vortex on another AR that I may move over to it. I have an Eotec on the way (with Magnifier) that I was planning on putting on it.

I've got a really nice vortex on another AR that I may move over to it. I have an Eotec on the way (with Magnifier) that I was planning on putting on it.

Do it. Then run some Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr through it and see what it can do.

BTW... Vortex has dropped the price on their Razor GenII. Several places selling it for $1850 or so. Everybody should own one for that price.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Ok, I posted a picture of my latest build, an AR10/308. I've pretty much finished it except for optics and muzzle device.

Question, has anyone shot .308 suppressed? The reason I ask is my suppressor is a 30 cal can. It has a quick connect mount so it uses a proprietary brake. Is it worth it to purchase the more expensive proprietary brake so I can shoot it suppressed? It's not just the extra $$$ either as I'm not a huge fan of the brake.

@Grand Vol or anybody in the thread.

I'm dating a girl that her dad died a year ago and left them many different buisnesses he owned. One is a pawn shop. While I knew they had guns I thought it was pawned guns. When I mentioned the AR to her she said we have some brand new. So what I didn't know was they are an actual small gun shop also.

So I was wanting to run the makes and picture by to see if what anyones thoughts are on them. She said she gets a huge discount and I'm actually thinking she might just buy it for me for Valentines day. Yes, she's a keeper.

I want to go with your suggestion Grand but if these are just as good and possibly a gift to me, that leaves me spending all my budget I had previously on pure upgrades. My question, do you think any of these are good? It is my first one but I don't want something not reliable or a POS. The picture and makes were sent to me in a text. I wasn't in their store.

From top down

Bushmaster
Double stag
Bushmaster
Bushmaster

Attachments

• 23365.jpeg
    23365.jpeg
    631.2 KB · Views: 14

I'm dating a girl that her dad died a year ago and left them many different buisnesses he owned. One is a pawn shop. While I knew they had guns I thought it was pawned guns. When I mentioned the AR to her she said we have some brand new. So what I didn't know was they are an actual small gun shop also.

So I was wanting to run the makes and picture by to see if what anyones thoughts are on them. She said she gets a huge discount and I'm actually thinking she might just buy it for me for Valentines day. Yes, she's a keeper.

I want to go with your suggestion Grand but if these are just as good and possibly a gift to me, that leaves me spending all my budget I had previously on pure upgrades. My question, do you think any of these are good? It is my first one but I don't want something not reliable or a POS. The picture and makes were sent to me in a text. I wasn't in their store.

From top down

Bushmaster
Double stag
Bushmaster
Bushmaster

Go with one of the flat tops in the bottom half.
If you just want to plink around at close ranges, go with #3. If you want some accuracy beyond 100 yards, go with #4.

...left them many different businesses he owned. One is a pawn shop. While I knew they had guns I thought it was pawned guns. When I mentioned the AR to her she said we have some brand new. So what I didn't know was they are an actual small gun shop also.

She got a sister? Asking for a friend.....

From top down

Bushmaster
Double stag
Bushmaster
Bushmaster

For soda can weekend shooting, Bushmaster is acceptable. Stag, depending on the year, is a better upgrade. For a long term deal (and one that's a gift that you don't want to hold your nose up to) it's okay. Not my preference...

Think of Bushmaster as the McDonalds of the AR15 world. Mass produced, made with cheap materials, filling, but not really sustainable. Oh sure, there's plenty of folks out there that say "Bushmaster is the equal of Colt!" Still, they skimp on a few of the items using cheaper parts or not testing. They really aren't the equal of anybody except, well, Bushmaster and DPMS.

Palmetto State is like the Golden Corral of the AR world. You have a buffet of options to pick from. Your choice on whether you pass on the prime rib and get the meatloaf or go for the gold.

Stag and S&W, the current versions at least, is kinda like the McAlisters of the AR15 world. It's a bit more attractively put together and you might get that tasty potato soup on the side. Upgrade even further/pay a bit more and you get sweet tea.

Colt is pretty much the Texas Roadhouse of the AR world. It's going to be good even though it costs a bit more. Base level BCM, LMT and Daniel Defense are in this boat as well.

Upper level BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT and others are like the premium steak houses. It's going to be good even when it's bad.

Larue, Knights, LWRC, Noveske and special editions of folks like BCM are like the foo-foo steak restaurant where they toss you out for not having on a suit and tie. You're going to pay a hefty price, but the Michelin Star chef is going to do it up right.

@Grand Vol

Appreciate the lead on the SGAmmo info. I looked...thought...wanted...but just couldn't pull the trigger what with the shutdown, and me not knowing when the next check might come. But it did get me to thinking about my "stockpile".

So for some reason both of my 6721's like 62 grain loads. Or maybe I just think they do. I carry the Federal 62 grain JSP (SBCT3) for duty, as it has been rated as one of the best barrier-blind 5.56 rounds. So I zeroed my HD/Patrol AR at 50 yards (MPBR for anything from 25-200 yards) with that load. Stay with me here...

That load is in the 1 to 2 MOA range. It's a hard-hitter, but not a tack driver. More than good enough for a scenario where adrenaline and the chaos of gunfire easily double those numbers. Simply put, if I have to respond to an active shooter, or get into a gunfight where I have time to deploy my rifle, that's what's going down range. I'm good there.

So now I'm down to "what do I shoot when I don't want to spend a dollar every time I pull the trigger", i.e. - stockpile. I have options. Plain old 55 grain FMJ, or maybe Hornady 62 grain TAP just to keep my zero intact. FYI, I can shoot keyholes with 55 grain FMJ at 50 yards, but the POI is about an inch off from my duty load zero. Not enough to matter at anything at or inside 100 yards.

I see no reason to not have enough of my duty ammo to last me for a while (I have over 800 rounds as we speak), and then pile the 55 grain high and deep for SHTF or a Liberal POTUS / Congress, whichever comes first.

Am I on the right path here?

Oh...I keep 100 rounds of Hornady 55 grain TAP for in-house, and AR #2, with the glass, is loaded with the IMI 69 grain SMK's. And loves it. I've got a few hundred of those stashed here somewhere.

I want to avoid having a different round for every day of the week. So if I stick to the Federal 62's for duty, 55 TAP for in-house, 55 FMJ for everything else, and then the 69 SMK's for AR #2, then I have a manageable inventory. Which is where I am right now. If you know your AR's (and I believe you do), then you know what Chris Kyle said about "64 grains or better, as fast as you can push it." So my only concern is if the 55 grain stockpile is okay, or should I start working my way to a 62 grain or better SHTF stock. 62 has to be the magic number for me. I don't reload, and anything reliable in 64 grains or higher is cost-prohibitive.

All that being said, I think I'm okay, but I'd like your take on it.

And maybe some pics from the SHOT Show, if you get my drift.

It's been my experience that gun shows, at least over the last 10-15 years, are more of a "show and tell" event rather than something I'd go to for a purchase. It gives me the chance to "cop a feel" on an item I'm considering buying to only turn around and find it online for far cheaper than what is being listed at a gun show.

SHOT Show or the NRA Expo? Oh, I'd so be in. Gun shows? Pass unless I'm killing an hour or two.

It's been my experience that gun shows, at least over the last 10-15 years, are more of a "show and tell" event rather than something I'd go to for a purchase. It gives me the chance to "cop a feel" on an item I'm considering buying to only turn around and find it online for far cheaper than what is being listed at a gun show.

SHOT Show or the NRA Expo? Oh, I'd so be in. Gun shows? Pass unless I'm killing an hour or two.
Well for space gun pew pew that may be the case. Those of us that collect milsurps have to cruise such venues.

Well for space gun pew pew that may be the case. Those of us that collect milsurps have to cruise such venues.

There is that. But what is the markup on a gun show purchase of such a thing as opposed to the 10-20% (or more) markup on normal handguns and rifles?

VN Store

Back