Gun control debate (merged)

I finally got the chance to read the bill. I am anxious to see how this thing plays out. Hopefully it's dead at the senate
Text - H.R.1808 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Assault Weapons Ban of 2022

For clarification

“(50) The term ‘threaded barrel’ means a feature or characteristic that is designed in such a manner to allow for the attachment of a device such as a firearm silencer or a flash suppressor.

“(42) The term ‘barrel shroud’—
“(A) means a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel of a firearm so that the shroud protects the user of the firearm from heat generated by the barrel;

I need a little clarity on this in regards to semi-automatic pistols
“(38) The term ‘semiautomatic pistol’ means any repeating pistol that—

“(A) utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round; and

“(B) requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.
My understanding is that most muzzle devices are interchangeable. They usually dont make different thread patterns for silencers than the muzzle break that comes on most guns.

And I am glad in the search for safety they want to make sure gun owners burn themselves by removing the shrouds.

The pistol bit is the perfect example of their BS about only wanting to get the high powered assault rifles. I havent caught up on the thread, but willing to bet ole Rational and Reasonable hasnt negatively commented on the pistol bit.

All in the name of progress.
I dont remember those complaints when it came to Covid cancelling the event.

Not that I really blame them. Music Midtown has had 5 separate shootings in the 9 years I have been down here. But you usually dont here much of a fuss because those are "acceptable" losses to the local media and politicians. But now that they can blame someone....

I dont remember those complaints when it came to Covid cancelling the event.

Not that I really blame them. Music Midtown has had 5 separate shootings in the 9 years I have been down here. But you usually dont here much of a fuss because those are "acceptable" losses to the local media and politicians. But now that they can blame someone....

“We won’t cancel when we know it’s inevitable a criminal will shoot someone at these events.” “We will cancel when legal gun owners are allowed to carry at these events”.

Reactions: NurseGoodVol
“We won’t cancel when we know it’s inevitable a criminal will shoot someone at these events.” “We will cancel when legal gun owners are allowed to carry at these events”.
Got no problem with going to Shaky Knees, been three times. Been to at least a dozen other concert venues and two smaller festivals around Atlanta, also no problem. Music Midtown has had a bad enough reputation where I dont go. It's one of the few things I will shy away from.

I would go for a single show, but wouldnt stick around all day/night, like I do at Shaky Knees.

Yeah, here's the story on Music Midtown. Yes, that law was passed in 2014, but the man who's threatening the lawsuits is the same guy who was kicked out of the Atlanta Botanical Gardens for carrying. ABG is on Piedmont Park property but has been a part of the park for decades. Because they've been there so long, the Georgia courts ruled that they had special privileges and could supersede the public Piedmont Park status. So he lost the case.

However, that ruling meant that temporary weekend events like Music Midtown and Shaky Knees that take place in Atlanta parks are not legally allowed to ban guns. They held it in 2021 same as normal, but this year the man/group that lost the Atlanta Botanical Garden lawsuit threatened to sue LiveNation to allow guns into Music Midtown. LiveNation very clearly will lose the suit. So LiveNation reportedly was scrambling trying to find a private venue to host, but this is a massive festival with 3 stages, so it came to August 1 and with no other site involved, they had to cancel the show and refund all tickets.

Look, I'm no expert, but you have to believe that there are tons of acts, especially at a pop fest like this, that won't play if guns are allowed. You can personally disagree or ask why would they even feel that way, but a massive pop band probably would rather be at an event where guns aren't allowed in. It's just a sad situation, this is such a fun event for tens of thousands who live in the area and travel in, and one man (who gloated on reddit and his blog that he wasn't even going to attend the festival) is taking it down just because. I worry for Shaky Knees because they will have the same issue of gun law enthusiasts getting high off owning the libs.

Read this twitter thread from journalist George Chidi for more info

Reactions: luthervol
Yeah, here's the story on Music Midtown. Yes, that law was passed in 2014, but the man who's threatening the lawsuits is the same guy who was kicked out of the Atlanta Botanical Gardens for carrying. ABG is on Piedmont Park property but has been a part of the park for decades. Because they've been there so long, the Georgia courts ruled that they had special privileges and could supersede the public Piedmont Park status. So he lost the case.

However, that ruling meant that temporary weekend events like Music Midtown and Shaky Knees that take place in Atlanta parks are not legally allowed to ban guns. They held it in 2021 same as normal, but this year the man/group that lost the Atlanta Botanical Garden lawsuit threatened to sue LiveNation to allow guns into Music Midtown. LiveNation very clearly will lose the suit. So LiveNation reportedly was scrambling trying to find a private venue to host, but this is a massive festival with 3 stages, so it came to August 1 and with no other site involved, they had to cancel the show and refund all tickets.

Look, I'm no expert, but you have to believe that there are tons of acts, especially at a pop fest like this, that won't play if guns are allowed. You can personally disagree or ask why would they even feel that way, but a massive pop band probably would rather be at an event where guns aren't allowed in. It's just a sad situation, this is such a fun event for tens of thousands who live in the area and travel in, and one man (who gloated on reddit and his blog that he wasn't even going to attend the festival) is taking it down just because. I worry for Shaky Knees because they will have the same issue of gun law enthusiasts getting high off owning the libs.

Thanks for the info. It is sad, on multiple levels. Another issue, hiding slightly below the surface, is the number of rural republican state politicians who not so secretly support anything that harms Atlanta - because it thrills many of their constituents.

Hasn't there been multiple shootings during past Music Midtown events?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Hasn't there been multiple shootings during past Music Midtown events?

people keep saying this but nothing I can find googling news articles from the past 20 years. Midtown used to be less safe, so I can see there being a shooting in the vicinity one year, but nothing ever inside the fest or around it.

people keep saying this but nothing I can find googling news articles from the past 20 years. Midtown used to be less safe, so I can see there being a shooting in the vicinity one year, but nothing ever inside the fest or around it.

Thanks.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the people that come to see My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Jack White, etc. aren't the ones bucking at Music Midtown.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Same. I googled it several different ways and got nothing.
I went with the 5 minor incidences that someone mentioned early, but even that may be overstated,

VN Store

Back