Guitars.. What you got?

So, I have the itch to get something that can better replicate the heavy tones of old Pantera, Metallica, White Zombie, etc. I have a LP and a classic Fender HM Strat that just aren't getting it done. I need active Hummers.

I have my eyes on the Schecter Hellraiser with the Sustainiac neck pickup. Anyone played one or recommend something else in that (c. $1000) price point?

Reactions: FïreBall
So, I have the itch to get something that can better replicate the heavy tones of old Pantera, Metallica, White Zombie, etc. I have a LP and a classic Fender HM Strat that just aren't getting it done. I need active Hummers.

I have my eyes on the Schecter Hellraiser with the Sustainiac neck pickup. Anyone played one or recommend something else in that (c. $1000) price point?
I had a Schecter with EMGs a few years ago, wish I'd kept it. You can definitely get some heavier sounds with it. What I have noticed.. I grew up on classic rock and hair metal. I've gotten into recording lately and detuning. My Les Paul doesn't detune well.. But my Ibanez RG that is 24 fret does a great job. 24.75 vs 25.5. I have several Strats, my Ibanez to me gets a better tone and stays in tune better for detuning. I think the Schetcher will get you what you want, it's a 25.5 with 24 fret also. Plus you'll enjoy the compound radius fretboard. I personally don't think it's the active pickups as much as the guitar itself. Dimebag used a Bill Lawrence L500 in the bridge for instance, it's a powerful bright pickup. I do like the EMGs 81/85s! I personally think you'll love the Schecter!

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Got the itch as well. Want to buy something evh style need another w Floyd rose tuned half step down. It’s a bear to change tunings.

Reactions: FïreBall

I’d try it out first. Active pickups can sound really muddy and aren’t always that great. You might want to check out the EVH 5150 guitar series as those pickups are passive but really hot and will definitely get you those metal sounds without sacrificing your tone. EMG’s are just hit or miss.
5150® Series :: 5150® Series Deluxe, Ebony Fingerboard, Transparent Blue Burst

I recently purchased a used Marshall JCM 2000 DSL401. After a few weeks it will not swap channels at times with or without the footswitch. Anyone know of a place in middle TN that will check it out?

VN Store

Back