Guarantano - interesting factoid

Fullfillmer

I ran across this tidbit in another thread and I thought .... wait a minute.

As a junior at Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.) last fall, he threw for 1,030 yards and nine touchdowns, while rushing for an additional 258 yards and four scores.

He played in only seven games after suffering a season-ending wrist injury in October.

Thats 147 yards a game passing and 37 yrds a game rushing playing against the little private schools in ( NEW JERSEY ) . 1.29 touchdowns a game.

Where do you get the number 6 duel threat qb from that? UT should hire his pr guy. Did anyone actually scout him ?

As a junior at Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.) last fall, he threw for 1,030 yards and nine touchdowns, while rushing for an additional 258 yards and four scores.

He played in only seven games after suffering a season-ending wrist injury in October.

Thats 147 yards a game passing and 37 yrds a game rushing playing against the little private schools in ( NEW JERSEY ) . 1.29 touchdowns a game.

Where do you get the number 6 duel threat qb from that? UT should hire his pr guy. Did anyone actually scout him ?
Only about everyone that followed recruiting knew that he wasn’t a dual threat.

It was no doubt a misevaluation. His Sr stats aren't much better. At no point does his stats say dual threat and his passing stats are average at best.

Attachments

• JG Stats (HS).PNG
    JG Stats (HS).PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: HalfullVol
If you watch his highlight footage you can see how he got the “dual threat” reputation. He plowed through a lot of defenses in high school when he would take off with the ball, similar to Tebow. He was just bigger and stronger than his competition.

He should have been developed more properly here at UT as a true pocket passer. We should have sat him behind Chryst in 2018, Chryst had a lot of tools that JG didn’t, he would have benefited from watching Chryst throw guys open all year, which he did very well.

Reactions: Volfan1000 and tbh

I honestly think Jones had a hand in marketing JG.

He did great in camps, thats why he got the bloated rating.

Reactions: Volatility
If you watch his highlight footage you can see how he got the “dual threat” reputation. He plowed through a lot of defenses in high school when he would take off with the ball, similar to Tebow. He was just bigger and stronger than his competition.

He should have been developed more properly here at UT as a true pocket passer. We should have sat him behind Chryst in 2018, Chryst had a lot of tools that JG didn’t, he would have benefited from watching Chryst throw guys open all year, which he did very well.
Let's be honest, it's NJ high school football :rolleyes:

I guess we shouldn’t be after this guy. I mean NJ HS football and all.

Tywone Malone, Bergen Catholic, Defensive Tackle
You give me one guy? I never said there was never a needle in the haystack but let's be honest, would you rather have a 4 and 5 star that played FL, TX, or GA ball or a NJ 4 or 5 Star? Ratings are subjective. The chances are good that he is playing against lesser talent, so yeah, his numbers could look good, but you have to have perspective.

He played against IMG as a senior and tore them up. You can find the highlights on YouTube. College coaches loved his potential because he had a great arm and showed good mobility in high school. It's why Urban Meyer wanted him really bad. I think his biggest issue coming into college that he never got over was that he could never get over the bad plays. He looked great at the elite 11 7-on-7 event until he missed a couple of throws and you could see him getting really down and he never recovered. Add to that the epic physical beatings he took early in his career and constantly having to learn a new offense. I don't think he ever had a chance. I could see it turning out a lot differently had he chose Ohio State. I know a lot of people are never going to be convinced that he could be anything but terrible, but I think Tennessee just ended up being a bad fit for him...although there was no way to see what was coming.

its called going to a few camps............getting word out that.......hes a duel threat. ....played for a good team and good program with alot of connections. not SEC calibur QB, but could have done great in the Big10 or American.

VN Store

Back