Guarantano for starter in 2020-2021 season. Poll

Will Guarantano start next season?

• Total voters
Bailey is not coming here to redshirt, he's physically ready to play now and will be here in Jan. He'll be in the picture.

I'm a big JG fan and believe he's our starter next year and I believe HB and Maurer will compete for the critical #2 spot in the spring. I also believe the competition is gonna be close between Bailey and JG for the starting spot as I think Bailey is that good while JG has his deficiencies.

Fans want Maurer, and I certainly understand but this situation is very similar to when a young Brandon Stewart and Peyton Manning were both on the roster as FR behind Colquitt and Helton. Stewart was the athletic gunslinger with a cannon and Peyton the cerebral classic Blue Chip QB, Colquitt the steady veteran. A lot of you don't remember the Gridscape forums from back in the day, there were a bunch of Vol fans having the same arguments back then that we have today. Lots of Vol fans thought Stewart was the better option over Manning once JC got injured. I was kinda in the Stewart camp as I was much younger and Stewart was much more entertaining and had a cannon for an arm, Peyton was thin and didn't seem to have a strong arm or throw a tight spiral. You could tell early on though that PM was going to be the better QB, no disrespect to Stewart because he was a good college QB. I think it's going to be the same way with Bailey and Maurer, I think we'll all know pretty quickly who the better of the 2 are I believe all signs point it to being Bailey. Tennessee history tells me that model worked before and will likely work again.
That's a pretty good comparison. I wonder if Shrout or Maurer might take a big enough leap to push JG in 2020. I'm sure Bailey wants to play. I'm equally sure Pruitt wants to redshirt him, as with any freshman QB. Without some major upset (like the JC injury) he will have to be way ahead of the other three before he starts IMO. 2021 should indeed be intresting.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
That’s what I have yet to see anyone give credit. Had BM played as bad as these 3 are trying so desperately to convince people he did JG wouldn’t have felt pushed to get better. The team would have played even less inspired and Pruitt would’ve just said “I told you so” much sooner than he did and went back to JG by the Alabama game. Instead he outplayed Pruitts evaluation of him and had as much to do with the teams turn around as any other player or unit did. Even while sitting on the bench the fire he lit is still burning.
I think the value of Maurer was that he’s got the opposite problem that JG has- he tries to push it down the field almost too much. Standing on the sideline, it’s like JG had a revelation about what he could do in Chaney’s offense.

Reactions: hUTch2002
I think the value of Maurer was that he’s got the opposite problem that JG has- he tries to push it down the field almost too much. Standing on the sideline, it’s like JG had a revelation about what he could do in Chaney’s offense.
Which he did consistently and effectively. It doesn’t speak to the narrative these guys are trying to create and it’s gotten to the point it’s no longer fun to debate but you bring up a good point. His 47% completion were mostly downfield passes. Which makes THAT an impressive stat. As I’ve said all along he needs time for the game to slow down in order to see the field for checkdowns and progressions. Those things come naturally with said time and understanding of the offense. Just knowing where every receiver is going to be on any given play as opposed to having to find them means a world of difference in overall production and once he gets it he’ll be the LAST of all the qbs (including Incoming qbs) that we would want to face on another team if it came to that. His doubters should be careful what they wish for.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
On Saturday I saw JG determined to win somehow. Made good checkdowns pre-snap to help the line block where they were supposed to. I.E., Eric Gray yards. I saw a few good passes but began to see the slow, plodding motion in the first half that we saw early in the season. In the second half he made some good reads and hit some good passes. JG is 100% more effective when he steps up in the pocket and even gives an initial shiver to his primary if he is going to check down. He has yet to learn to consistently through at timing route or to accurately lead a receiver. Passes are all either at the receivers body, late, or behind them causing delays in the receivers stride. He has got to fix that before the bowl game if we play a ranked team. I am glad to see the progress that he has made by humbling himself a bit and actually watching from the sidelines to see what is possible for him to accomplish.

Which he did consistently and effectively. It doesn’t speak to the narrative these guys are trying to create and it’s gotten to the point it’s no longer fun to debate but you bring up a good point. His 47% completion were mostly downfield passes. Which makes THAT an impressive stat. As I’ve said all along he needs time for the game to slow down in order to see the field for checkdowns and progressions. Those things come naturally with said time and understanding of the offense. Just knowing where every receiver is going to be on any given play as opposed to having to find them means a world of difference in overall production and once he gets it he’ll be the LAST of all the qbs (including Incoming qbs) that we would want to face on another team if it came to that. His doubters should be careful what they wish for.
No need to do your lying. It just makes Maurer look worse. The majority of his passes weren't downfield. He just threw some downfield that he shouldn't have.

You can't throw it consistently and effectively and have his ypa, completion percentage, rating, td/int ratio etc .

He has potential but less upside than JG or HB imo and in most pundits opinion.

Once again, you may need help. Nearly every player to a man said the fire was lit when Pruitt had his team meeting following the FL loss. Why are you trolling so hard on this, it's getting old I think.

Because the facts speak for themselves. Fact one, the turn around came in ga game when jg was pulled, fact 2 jg plays better when coming off the bench. Fact 3 His qb play is very inconsistant. Fact 4 we don't score enough points when jg plays, even sat against a very weak vandy team jg could only manage 14 points that he was in on, the other 14 from two great runs by rb. Fact 5 Look at jg win lost record in his whole career. Fact 6 Jg has a couple of good games a year. I will admit when he is good he plays very well, if he could get some consistancy that would be great. I have never seen a qb with the game experience he has play so poorly. With all this said, I am not a hater of jg, just hate games like he played sat. against vandy and I have seen far too many of those type of games. And your statement of what Pruitt said; he has always covered for jg. Even in the bama game when jg went rogue, pruitt says miscommunation covering for jg. That should explain why pruitt said what he did about team meeting. If jg plays with some consistancy I am fine with it. I do want the best players on the team to play regardless of who it is.

Last edited:
No need to do your lying. It just makes Maurer look worse. The majority of his passes weren't downfield. He just threw some downfield that he shouldn't have.

You can't throw it consistently and effectively and have his ypa, completion percentage, rating, td/int ratio etc .

He has potential but less upside than JG or HB imo and in most pundits opinion.
So you’re going on record,right now, saying Maurer WILL NEVER be as good as JG? Before you answer, remember..... we are all watching JG in his prime years as we speak. Are you confident enough in your opinion to say the 3 year (starting) version of Maurer is a down grade from what we see now? If so I know so many people that would hope you and your pundits are betting men.

Because the facts speak for themselves. Fact one, the turn around came in ga game when jg was pulled, fact 2 jg plays better when coming off the bench. Fact 3 His qb play is very inconsistant. Fact 4 we don't score enough points when jg plays, even sat against a very weak vandy team jg could only manage 14 points that he was in on, the other 14 from two great runs by rb. Fact 5 Look at jg win lost record in his whole career. Fact 6 Jg has a couple of good games a year. I will admit when he is good he plays very well, if he could get some consistancy that would be great. I have never seen a qb with the game experience he has play so poorly. With all this said, I am not a hater of jg, just hate games like he played sat. against vandy and I have seen far too many of those type of games. And your statement of what Pruitt said; he has always covered for jg. Even in the bama game when jg went rogue, pruitt says miscommunation covering for jg. That should explain why pruitt said what he did about team meeting. If jg plays with some consistancy I am fine with it. I do want the best players on the team to play regardless of who it is.
I'm usually not the spelling police but damn, you consistently call JG inconsistant which isn't a word. If you want to reapeat it ad nauseum then at least get it right. Lmao

He is pretty consistent with a bad game or two sprinkled in. Pretty much like any decent qb.

Top 30 in the country for qb rating on the year says he has been pretty consistent with a few down moments.

We score enough with him. We just won 5 straight. We scored enough to win 9 on the year with him but lost two early due to defensive lapses.

Terrible takes like usual. 😂

So you’re going on record,right now, saying Maurer WILL NEVER be as good as JG? Before you answer, remember..... we are all watching JG in his prime years as we speak. Are you confident enough in your opinion to say the 3 year (starting) version of Maurer is a down grade from what we see now? If so I know so many people that would hope you and your pundits are betting men.
His ceiling isn't as high as the two higher rated guys we will have on campus. They were rated higher due to more potential.

BM will have better and more consistent coaching than JG. I doubt he will have four OCs in four years. He is setup way better for success than JG was. So he has a chance production wise. He will never throw the ball as well most likely. Not unless he gets his accuracy, touch, and decision making under control.

I don't think he will ever have three years starting. At least not here. It's going to be a tough road to locking down a starting spot. Maybe hard to ever compare.

He may have a better chance of starting as a wr than qb here. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked him to play wr some when Bailey comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Coaching doesn't have anything to do with throwing behind wr. If you cant lead a wr after 4 years of college football then you just can't

Coaching doesn't have anything to do with throwing behind wr. If you cant lead a wr after 4 years of college football then you just can't
What? Show me the qb who never misses a pass. JG has done it plenty. He hasn't played to an All SEC level but overall is accurate and takes care of the ball while having a healthy ypa.

34th in the NCAA passer rating
9th in the Country Yards per Completion
19th in ypa

His ceiling isn't as high as the two higher rates guys we will have on campus. They were rated higher due to more potential.

BM will have better and more consistent coaching than JG. I doubt he will have four OCs in four years. He is setup way better for success than JG was. So he has a chance production wise. He will never throw the ball as well most likely. Not unless he gets his accuracy, touch, and decision making under control.

I don't think he will ever have three years starting. At least not here. It's going to be a tough road to locking down a starting spot. Maybe hard to ever compare.

He may have a better chance of starting as a wr than qb here. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked him to play wr some when Bailey comes.
You’ve continuously brought up ratings coming out of Hs so even though it’s Irrelevant I’ll entertain it for your pleasure.

BM was a 3 year starter for a team with very limited skill surrounding him. HB is a 4 year starter for a team loaded with D1 talent surrounding him. The fact that Maurer was even recognized on such a team vs HBs team being in a national spotlight lends the advantage to Maurer. Why? Because in just 3 years on that team he accounted for HBs total production overall nearly yard for yard WITHOUT a running back, WITHOUT WRs such as AG or RK or even the #3 on their roster that’s currently committed to UF from my understanding. And WITHOUT an o line to protect him. Put HB on BMs Hs team and his numbers are cut in half whereas BMs are comparable With the nations best of any year. Against those odds he passed for over 7600 yds and rushed for nearly 1000. Again...... in THREE years. Maurer also performed better vs the nations best qbs at “The Opening”. You see.... what you fail to understand is the services truly have no idea where anyone should rank against one another because there’s no way to tell how one would react to the others situations. You can only guess.

Which brings me to my next point. HBs rank vs Maurers vs JGs are COMPLETELY irrelevant to each other. JG was ranked ONLY against HIS class of 2017. Not all classes. Hb is ranked ONLY against the class of 2020. Not ALL classes. And BM was ranked ONLY against 2019. So comparing their ranks is not only stupid but pointless given the fact that one class of qb isn’t compared to the next. That being said yes...... it’s very possible that the 2019 qb ranked 12 could very well be better than 2020 qb ranked 5.

I see you put as much stock in the services as you do stat lines. At some point you’re going to have to throw that s*** out the window and actually pay attention to the eye test. How hard would it be for you to argue that Pruitt is just an average coach right now? My guess is pretty hard, right? His stats say he’s 12-12. But the eye test says something completely different. Same for Maurer.

You’ve continuously brought up ratings coming out of Hs so even though it’s Irrelevant I’ll entertain it for your pleasure.

BM was a 3 year starter for a team with very limited skill surrounding him. HB is a 4 year starter for a team loaded with D1 talent surrounding him. The fact that Maurer was even recognized on such a team vs HBs team being in a national spotlight lends the advantage to Maurer. Why? Because in just 3 years on that team he accounted for HBs total production overall nearly yard for yard WITHOUT a running back, WITHOUT WRs such as AG or RK or even the #3 on their roster that’s currently committed to UF from my understanding. And WITHOUT an o line to protect him. Put HB on BMs Hs team and his numbers are cut in half whereas BMs are comparable With the nations best of any year. Against those odds he passed for over 7600 yds and rushed for nearly 1000. Again...... in THREE years. Maurer also performed better vs the nations best qbs at “The Opening”. You see.... what you fail to understand is the services truly have no idea where anyone should rank against one another because there’s no way to tell how one would react to the others situations. You can only guess.

Which brings me to my next point. HBs rank vs Maurers vs JGs are COMPLETELY irrelevant to each other. JG was ranked ONLY against HIS class of 2017. Not all classes. Hb is ranked ONLY against the class of 2020. Not ALL classes. And BM was ranked ONLY against 2019. So comparing their ranks is not only stupid but pointless given the fact that one class of qb isn’t compared to the next. That being said yes...... it’s very possible that the 2019 qb ranked 12 could very well be better than 2020 qb ranked 5.

I see you put as much stock in the services as you do stat lines. At some point you’re going to have to throw that s*** out the window and actually pay attention to the eye test. How hard would it be for you to argue that Pruitt is just an average coach right now? My guess is pretty hard, right? His stats say he’s 12-12. But the eye test says something completely different. Same for Maurer.
Wow you are wild.

You can compare. That is why recruits have an all time overall rank as well. A 90 something 4 or 5 star of any class is considered a better prospect with more upside than a 80 something 3 star regardless of class.

HS stats literally mean nothing. If they did Worley would have been an All American. Also those number for BM aren't really that impressive. There are a ton of hs qbs that hit 3k passing each year and a few that hit 4 or 5k.

What? Show me the qb who never misses a pass. JG has done it plenty. He hasn't played to an All SEC level but overall is accurate and takes care of the ball while having a healthy ypa.

34th in the NCAA passer rating
9th in the Country Yards per Completion
19th in ypa
Id like to see out WR YAC. And JG air yards. See how many of stats you live to harp on are the result of his WR.....but the ncaa/espn doesnt track it and you dont consider that a real stat like QBR...if you watch the game Neal lead his reciever way more then JG did.

Wow you are wild.

You can compare. That is why recruits have an all time overall rank as well. A 90 something 4 or 5 star of any class is considered a better prospect with more upside than a 80 something 3 star regardless of class.

HS stats literally mean nothing. If they did Worley would have been an All American. Also those number for BM aren't really that impressive. There are a ton of hs qbs that hit 3k passing each year and a few that hit 4 or 5k.
I understand they mean nothing. That’s what I said to begin with but you keep eluding to it as some sort of measuring stick. It’s completely irrelevant where HB is ranked vs JG vs BM because they are all from different classes. And to be quite honest nothing about JGs Hs career suggested he should have had the rank to compete with either of them. I like JG but let’s face it. He didn’t have good enough passing stats in Hs to be considered a pocket passer nor did he have good enough rushing stats to be considered a duel threat. So where did this “rank” from the “experts” come from? That alone should tell you how good they are at their jobs. Truth is people just trust “the label” of 247/rivals/ESPN. But the last I checked they were only 30% accurate on 5* talent alone. Point is they miss much more than they hit and Maurer and JG are both perfect examples for reasons opposite of each other.

Id like to see out WR YAC. And JG air yards. See how many of stats you live to harp on are the result of his WR.....but the ncaa/espn doesnt track it and you dont consider that a real stat like QBR...if you watch the game Neal lead his reciever way more then JG did.
Neal was leading receivers high, low and behind too. Neither QB was very good on Saturday.

Reactions: k-town_king
Neal was leading receivers high, low and behind too. Neither QB was very good on Saturday.
He was way more accurare to start. And lost it later other then that he lead his wr alot more. Niether was great. But even against missouri JG was all over the place and his WR put in serious work. And were laid out several times on poor throws that they caught

Yea, no not true. Neal has been much worse all year. The conditions Saturday were not conducive to passing the ball. Any leading of a wr was the wind most likely.

We don't get as much yac as Bama, Clemson, OU etc. Every qb gets some yac. Did you have some point you were trying to make?

I understand they mean nothing. That’s what I said to begin with but you keep eluding to it as some sort of measuring stick. It’s completely irrelevant where HB is ranked vs JG vs BM because they are all from different classes. And to be quite honest nothing about JGs Hs career suggested he should have had the rank to compete with either of them. I like JG but let’s face it. He didn’t have good enough passing stats in Hs to be considered a pocket passer nor did he have good enough rushing stats to be considered a duel threat. So where did this “rank” from the “experts” come from? That alone should tell you how good they are at their jobs. Truth is people just trust “the label” of 247/rivals/ESPN. But the last I checked they were only 30% accurate on 5* talent alone. Point is they miss much more than they hit and Maurer and JG are both perfect examples for reasons opposite of each other.
How is that a good example of a miss?

JG had much better stats as a freshman and each year since. The coaches, reporters, and teammates say JG is the best with the most upside. Looks like the ranking was right.

Career 47% vs third highest career completion percentage and int record.

You can compare. Any year four or five star is better than any year 3 star.

He was way more accurare to start. And lost it later other then that he lead his wr alot more. Niether was great. But even against missouri JG was all over the place and his WR put in serious work. And were laid out several times on poor throws that they caught
Like the one pass BM threw that almost ended MC's career?

Like the one pass BM threw that almost ended MC's career?
That was a horrible pass. We could point the ones that JG threw high to calloway and Jennings as well. But your comparing a freshman to a RSJR. What about that part are you not comprehending? Its understandable 1 year starting. Even 2nd year. Bit 3rd and 4th. No its unacceptable. im glad JG has played great to your standards. You should bbn convince him to declare for the draft. Please

It was weird. JG started 0-7 on the first 3 drives. Then the rest of the way he was a 60% passer.

It was weird. JG started 0-7 on the first 3 drives. Then the rest of the way he was a 60% passer.
we also took the game outta his hands and were lucky tonhave Grey have a banner day...i do believe a better running game would have covered up alot of JG issues

Yea, no not true. Neal has been much worse all year. The conditions Saturday were not conducive to passing the ball. Any leading of a wr was the wind most likely.

We don't get as much yac as Bama, Clemson, OU etc. Every qb gets some yac. Did you have some point you were trying to make?

How is that a good example of a miss?

JG had much better stats as a freshman and each year since. The coaches, reporters, and teammates say JG is the best with the most upside. Looks like the ranking was right.

Career 47% vs third highest career completion percentage and int record.

You can compare. Any year four or five star is better than any year 3 star.
Good lord dude. You’re exhausting and very much a part of the reason I don’t enjoy this board as much these days. You can’t be reasoned with

VN Store

Back