Growing up watching UT Football

VolJarhead

Let me start by saying that I am 43. A lot of people are very upset about where Tennessee football has gone. I will say one of the things that can be a positive for a kid growing up with football now is it reminds me of the 80s. When Tennessee shut down Bo Jackson, I remember that game. When we beat a Miami team in the sugar bowl that we weren't supposed to be competitive against, it was amazing. If you grew up as a fan watching them win every single week and it never being competitive, it might have gotten boring.These down years allow you to really enjoy the big wins. A lot of fans think everything should be like the 90s. It was great, but it was even more special after enjoying the 80s. Call me crazy, but I look forward to winning games we aren't supposed to. Those are the ones that are really exciting. I think back to being a kid and those games were what really drew me in.

I was hooked after the 1959 Tenn/LSU game won by the VOLS.14 to 13 at Shields Watkins. Bill majors stopped Billy Cannon on a 2 PT. Play to seal the win. A lot of up and downs over the past 60 years but I've always stood by my team. I live a rock throw from the Ga./ Al. lines so it's been a bit to endure
these last 10 or so years.

In my mind I can still hear Mooney calling the games on my grandmothers AM radio. We were poor as mud but listening to those games on Saturday took me to a special place, another world.
I was probably 9 or 10 before I realized we lived in the same town where my gridiron heroes played.

Never saw that clip. Same memories here, though was listening from Cocke County with Granddaddy. I think one reason I never was as over the moon as some for John Ward, is that I considered Mooney the gold standard.

Reactions: Tnwoodsman
I was hooked after the 1959 Tenn/LSU game won by the VOLS.14 to 13 at Shields Watkins. Bill majors stopped Billy Cannon on a 2 PT. Play to seal the win. A lot of up and downs over the past 60 years but I've always stood by my team. I live a rock throw from the Ga./ Al. lines so it's been a bit to endure
these last 10 or so years.

We're probably close in age, but I don't recall ever hearing or watching football on TV or radio before college. I only attended a couple of HS games, so my freshman year at UT in 1964 was a real football awakening. I can honestly say I was hooked from the first game in Neyland. 64 was also Doug Dickey's first year at Tennessee; it didn't take long to figure out that Tennessee football had slumped seriously, but we knew that with Dickey it was going to change. Maybe we were just naive, but there was the feeling that football at UT was headed for greater things ... and we weren't wrong.

After the winter quarter of my junior year, I left school and enlisted in the Army ... that's when listening began - few teams were ever on TV and then perhaps one time during the season ... unless you liked Notre Dame, which is one reason for my ND hatred to this day. For two years my younger brother would mail tapes of the radio broadcasts to me while I was stationed overseas; he became a Vol fan well before he showed up on campus.

I returned to UT to see Bill Battle's slide, and graduated before Johnny Majors came home. Through all the ups and downs (and Majors' stagnation), I've never quit being a Vol fan ... although I do watch on TV these days ... my padding ins't what it used to be, so a nice recliner is a lot better than a hard bench. My thought is that last year was very reminiscent of 1964 - the year Doug Dickey put Tennessee football back on track. The big difference is the competition and recruiting rules ... it's gonna take longer this time ... we've got the right coach; we just need some patience to remember Pruitt isn't at fault for the damage the three coaches (and three ADs) preceding him inflicted on Tennessee football.

In my mind I can still hear Mooney calling the games on my grandmothers AM radio. We were poor as mud but listening to those games on Saturday took me to a special place, another world.
I was probably 9 or 10 before I realized we lived in the same town where my gridiron heroes played.

Wish there was a love button for this video.

My earliest football memories were of UT beating Auburn, 21-0, on TV. Of course, the volume was turned off, and we listened to John Ward. I was hooked from that day.

John Ward was so much better than the TV announcers, but usually he was a little behind on the TD because he did like "he's at the 5, the 4 ...". He'd have been right on with Dewey Warren though ... without a doubt our slowest QB ... and still my favorite.

We're probably close in age, but I don't recall ever hearing or watching football on TV or radio before college. I only attended a couple of HS games, so my freshman year at UT in 1964 was a real football awakening. I can honestly say I was hooked from the first game in Neyland. 64 was also Doug Dickey's first year at Tennessee; it didn't take long to figure out that Tennessee football had slumped seriously, but we knew that with Dickey it was going to change. Maybe we were just naive, but there was the feeling that football at UT was headed for greater things ... and we weren't wrong.

After the winter quarter of my junior year, I left school and enlisted in the Army ... that's when listening began - few teams were ever on TV and then perhaps one time during the season ... unless you liked Notre Dame, which is one reason for my ND hatred to this day. For two years my younger brother would mail tapes of the radio broadcasts to me while I was stationed overseas; he became a Vol fan well before he showed up on campus.

I returned to UT to see Bill Battle's slide, and graduated before Johnny Majors came home. Through all the ups and downs (and Majors' stagnation), I've never quit being a Vol fan ... although I do watch on TV these days ... my padding ins't what it used to be, so a nice recliner is a lot better than a hard bench. My thought is that last year was very reminiscent of 1964 - the year Doug Dickey put Tennessee football back on track. The big difference is the competition and recruiting rules ... it's gonna take longer this time ... we've got the right coach; we just need some patience to remember Pruitt isn't at fault for the damage the three coaches (and three ADs) preceding him inflicted on Tennessee football.

My HS Coach took me and another guy to see the game. He played for Gen. Neyland on the 28,29, and 30 teams along with Feathers and Herman

67 here and my 1st game live was in the early 60s when they played one game in Memphis every year. When I was a kid my father and I would listen to the games on the radio, you were lucky to see them on TV once a year.

I’m a little younger than you (63). My first live game was Vandy in Nashville in 1966. Then the Gator Bowl that same year against Syracuse. I remember listening on the radio before 66 because my dad was a fanatic. I’ve been a fan my whole life. He and I went to a bunch of games after that. My best childhood memories.

Very well said 64 and thank you for your service, thank all of you who have served this great nation. I hope everyone has a great 4th and as always Go Vols!

John Ward was so much better than the TV announcers, but usually he was a little behind on the TD because he did like "he's at the 5, the 4 ...". He'd have been right on with Dewey Warren though ... without a doubt our slowest QB ... and still my favorite.
Dewey - me too.

Reactions: RavinDave and AM64
Let me start by saying that I am 43. A lot of people are very upset about where Tennessee football has gone. I will say one of the things that can be a positive for a kid growing up with football now is it reminds me of the 80s. When Tennessee shut down Bo Jackson, I remember that game. When we beat a Miami team in the sugar bowl that we weren't supposed to be competitive against, it was amazing. If you grew up as a fan watching them win every single week and it never being competitive, it might have gotten boring.These down years allow you to really enjoy the big wins. A lot of fans think everything should be like the 90s. It was great, but it was even more special after enjoying the 80s. Call me crazy, but I look forward to winning games we aren't supposed to. Those are the ones that are really exciting. I think back to being a kid and those games were what really drew me in.
I laughed, only because the state of Alabama has nothing else to do.

Reactions: AM64
I was 9 years old and went to that game with my dad. It was like a monsoon.

I was there, too. That was one of those hard to forget games. Players fell and skidded 10 yards or more. Bill Battle did correctly figure out we were ahead in heavy rain and quit playing offense ... it was simply better to kick and not try and do anything with the ball. Auburn kept trying, and it didn't go well for them. Miserable day, but a great game.

VN Store

Back