Group: Spanking Is Ineffective and Harmful to Children

Do you believe in spanking children?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Many of you all have this irrational skepticism toward medicine, healthcare, science, or whatever.

Yet some of you post links from Breitbart like it’s this newfound piece of enlightenment.
Believe it or not, doctors are not unlike pilots. A LOT of what they do is a checklist. I was in the ER once and there was a guy coding in the next area. I could hear the doctor running thru his mantra of this, hold, that, hold, etc etc etc. After watching my mother go thru her last month of life in a hospital setting I learned even more. The out of the box thinking Dr House is a TV character. They know what they know, and whether or not it is due to lawyers (probably) they are not very likely to do anything so off the rails to save someone because of the fear of getting sued into oblivion if they are wrong. My skepticism is not irrational. In my later years, I want to be near a teaching hospital like UTK or Vanderbilt so as to get the freshest ideas about medicine, NOT in God's Waiting Room here in Florida.

Yes it would.

He ruined his talking points when he gave the medical field as an example ( for me anyway) my whole family is in the medical field and just because you can regurgitate info from a class , or other “ experts “ doesn’t mean you are an expert . Drs and nurses become experts through experience just like the rest of us do . Don’t believe me grab a nurse and ask them about Drs. that only have their medical training and very little hands on experience , see what they tell you . Lol .

Does the cardiologist work on his own heart ? Does a cardiologists take there own advise ? When a cardiologist needs a bypass , does he pick a fist year to do it or will he screen the ones he knows that have experience and a HIGH SUCCESS rate in doing bypasses ? Dont be dumb you know the answer to this .

I have no idea what you are saying.

How does having a congenital heart defect affect a cardiologist’s ability to understand and treat a heart?

Actually a cardiologist with a heart defect could probably know more about the heart than one without. I’d venture to think think he would have a bit more incentive to know all he can. Just like I’d venture to believe someone who has kids would know more than someone doing a “study” that didn’t have kids. There is a difference between actual medicine and psychobabble.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
So you believe anecdotal evidence is more reliable and valid than scientific evidence?
I don’t trust the study at all and as a parent of four.... I don’t really need not welcome their advice....imo, it doesn’t matter how you punish your kids as long as it corrects the bad behavior at the time....what is most important in raising your kids is showing them love in everything you do....whether it be by spanking them to teach them right from wrong.... clothing and feeding them.....supporting them at all the things important to them.... taking to time out to spend time with them.

Believe it or not, doctors are not unlike pilots. A LOT of what they do is a checklist. I was in the ER once and there was a guy coding in the next area. I could hear the doctor running thru his mantra of this, hold, that, hold, etc etc etc. After watching my mother go thru her last month of life in a hospital setting I learned even more. The out of the box thinking Dr House is a TV character. They know what they know, and whether or not it is due to lawyers (probably) they are not very likely to do anything so off the rails to save someone because of the fear of getting sued into oblivion if they are wrong. My skepticism is not irrational. In my later years, I want to be near a teaching hospital like UTK or Vanderbilt so as to get the freshest ideas about medicine, NOT in God's Waiting Room here in Florida.

You don’t need to explain to me what doctors are like. Physicians have a systematic approach to problem solving, but that comes with an immense amount of education prior. I still don’t understand what you are skeptical about exactly.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
He ruined his talking points when he gave the medical field as an example ( for me anyway) my whole family is in the medical field and just because you can regurgitate info from a class , or other “ experts “ doesn’t mean you are an expert . Drs and nurses become experts through experience just like the rest of us do . Don’t believe me grab a nurse and ask them about Drs. that only have their medical training and very little hands on experience , see what they tell you . Lol .

This isn’t about being in the medical field, as much as it is understanding that these people have scientifically collected data and are simply presenting their information. I get it. You have a predisposition toward this topic, and you are clearly biased against it. But throwing away scientific literature to fit your own personal dogma of parenting is a lack of intellectual curiosity on your part.

Ones credibility doesn’t matter if the results are valid, reliable, and objective. If you want to fight this presentation, read the scientific literature and tell me why it’s flawed from an experimental or procedural perspective.

Actually a cardiologist with a heart defect could probably know more about the heart than one without. I’d venture to think think he would have a bit more incentive to know all he can. Just like I’d venture to believe someone who has kids would know more than someone doing a “study” that didn’t have kids. There is a difference between actual medicine and psychobabble.

Oh this is nonsense. Cardiologists regardless of their heart condition are both being trained intensively in their field. Having a heart defect can motivate someone to specialize in cardiology, but it’s preposterous to say that someone’s own heart abnormality has any impact on their knowledge to learn about and diagnose the heart.

“My ophthalmologist had an eye infection when he was 17 so he probably knows more about the eye than that other ophthalmologist.”

Can you see how asinine this sounds.

They aren’t merely people “doing a study”. They are pediatricians who devote their life to learning and treating child health, growth, and development. Regardless, like I said earlier. Arguing against the credibility is a waste of time. If you feel what they are saying is unequivocally false, then fight the data.

I don’t trust the study at all and as a parent of four.... I don’t really need not welcome their advice....imo, it doesn’t matter how you punish your kids as long as it corrects the bad behavior at the time....what is most important in raising your kids is showing them love in everything you do....whether it be by spanking them to teach them right from wrong.... clothing and feeding them.....supporting them at all the things important to them.... taking to time out to spend time with them.

It’s remarkable how many people dismiss science for their own philosophical opinion.

Reactions: PointGuard
Oh this is nonsense. Cardiologists regardless of their heart condition are both being trained intensively in their field. Having a heart defect can motivate someone to specialize in cardiology, but it’s preposterous to say that someone’s own heart abnormality has any impact on their knowledge to learn about and diagnose the heart.

“My ophthalmologist had an eye infection when he was 17 so he probably knows more about the eye than that other ophthalmologist.”

Can you see how asinine this sounds.

They aren’t merely people “doing a study”. They are pediatricians who devote their life to learning and treating child health, growth, and development. Regardless, like I said earlier. Arguing against the credibility is a waste of time. If you feel what they are saying is unequivocally false, then fight the data.

To be fair your analogies are asinine to begin with.

I cant believe so many people buy these studies so easily and that goes for any topic.

What is there to “buy”?This conspiracy attitude toward science is appalling. If you are initially skeptical, just read the actual literature and analyze the data for yourself.

I’m willing to be that if researchers found a study that chick fil spicy chicken sandwiches lower the risk for esophageal cancer, there wouldn’t be this much skeptism.

I’m willing to be that if researchers found a study that chick fil spicy chicken sandwiches lower the risk for esophageal cancer, there wouldn’t be this much skeptism.
It depends on who paid for the study. If Chick Fil A paid for it, I would be plenty skeptical.

VN Store

Back