Group: Spanking Is Ineffective and Harmful to Children

Do you believe in spanking children?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted the "I don't know" option since I don't have kids, or want them. You can't repeat the ****ups of a parent if you don't have any.

The theme of the post is that kids need parents, not friends. I hope some of you never have kids, and those that already do should turn their kids over to competent guardians or the state. Many who post here couldn’t father a “stain”, much less a child.

Being a father is much more than having a **** and balls. But yes, throw your liberal spin on how anyone to the right of Alinsky is raising their child(ren) to be white nationalist, hate mongering rubes.

ETA: “Weenie whacking” was not used synonymously with masturbating. Considering the audience, I thought it was clear what I meant.

Exactly. Many parents nowadays want to be their kids best buddies. That something that you can do when they become adults.

Sometimes you just have to make them cry to get the message.
When it comes to spanking obviously here is a line to not be crossed. Ive heard of people getting belts or electrical cords for whippings, thats nuts in my opinion. If you beat a kid so bad they cant walk or sit you've probably crossed that line.

I have a memory when I was a kid of acting wild in a store. My dad told me that if I didn't behave that he was going to whoop me. Some woman standing nearby flipped out. She said "how do you threaten your child." She raised this big stink and demanded the manager of the store call the police. I just remember thinking that I probably deserved a whack on the butt and that the woman was crazy.
I always want to tell people to shut their kids the F up in stores. Its always the same type of parent. Kids going batsh!t and the parent is almost always like "Please Skylar, Just calm down Skylar, pretty please".

To be fair, neither do you. There are many studies that say it is ineffective and damaging. Your anecdotal evidence is meaningless to me. Maybe you were spanked as a kid and ended up being hugely successful later in life. Does that mean spanking turned you into the upstanding human being you are today? It isn't like we can go back in time and un-spank you to see how you would have turned out.

From where I'm standing, when I see a kid being physically hit by somebody three or four times their size, it is hard to see anything other than a person who is trying to assert dominance. That's not about respect or even punishment. It is about dominance.

That ridiculous....what are those studies based on? From where I am standing.... most studies I have seen on any subject are based on the opinions of the person doing the study.

This is flawed logic. I’m sure you wouldn’t say that after reading a research article about LDLs and their contribution to atherosclerosis. But when it’s something we don’t intuitively agree on we have to add doubt?
That’s true but actually the other way..... people accept things that make sense to them without questioning it. It is best practice to question all studies bc the overwhelming majority is nonsense.

This is ridiculous.

If your cardiologist has a congenital heart defect, does that make you view his advice any differently?

They are educated on child health and development and how certain stimuli can affect a child’s physical and mental well being. They have real observational data on a large scale to confidently claim that spanking is not an effective form of disciplinary option.

My guess is that there are millions upon millions of well adjusted adults who were spanked as children, so that in itself brings their findings into question.

It may have something to with for every study trying prove one thing there’s one to contradict it. Some people take the pieces that makes sense and pieces from their own personal experiences and form their own opinions. “Higher education” has become so muddled it’s hard to just take everything said as fact.

Do you have a more recent study contradicting this you want to share?

Ok lets take nutrition for example. Do you think physicians get real training about nutrition? How many classes do you think they take?

Physicians do not learn about every single fruit, vegetable, or meat during their curriculum. But they are taught the biochemistry in how our bodies metabolize different macromolecules into great detail and how deficiencies in certain proteins or vitamins can lead to specific complications. They aren’t taught “this potato is better than that potato”.

My guess is that there are millions upon millions of well adjusted adults who were spanked as children, so that in itself brings their findings into question.

The study wasn’t saying that spanking will always lead to deviance or poor mental health. It simply said that it is an ineffective method, especially in comparison to other disciplinary strategies.

Doing Y will have an increased risk of “x” doesn’t mean that you “x” will happen, just that you are at greater risk than not doing Y.

Separate clinical example entirely, but roughly 15-20% of smokers have emphysema. If only 15-20% of smokers have emphysema, then how is smoking a risk factor for emphysema you might ask? Well roughly 80% of individuals who do have emphysema, are smokers, hence why we can confidently say smoking is a major risk factor for emphysema.

You conflate social sciences with empirical science.
Freud is highly regarded and utilized in textbooks, and I would have never let that perv get near my kids.

So you are skeptical on all behavioral and psychological science? Freud wasn’t even a behavioral health psychologist, what kind of nonsense is this.

So you are skeptical on all behavioral and psychological science? Freud wasn’t even a behavioral health psychologist, what kind of nonsense is this.
You are fighting a losing battle my dude. This has been twisted into a conservative vs. liberal debate.

This is ridiculous.

If your cardiologist has a congenital heart defect, does that make you view his advice any differently?

They are educated on child health and development and how certain stimuli can affect a child’s physical and mental well being. They have real observational data on a large scale to confidently claim that spanking is not an effective form of disciplinary option.

Does the cardiologist work on his own heart ? Does a cardiologists take there own advise ? When a cardiologist needs a bypass , does he pick a fist year to do it or will he screen the ones he knows that have experience and a HIGH SUCCESS rate in doing bypasses ? Dont be dumb you know the answer to this .

The study wasn’t saying that spanking will always lead to deviance or poor mental health. It simply said that it is an ineffective method, especially in comparison to other disciplinary strategies.

Doing Y will have an increased risk of “x” doesn’t mean that you “x” will happen, just that you are at greater risk than not doing Y.

Separate clinical example entirely, but roughly 15-20% of smokers have emphysema. If only 15-20% of smokers have emphysema, then how is smoking a risk factor for emphysema you might ask? Well roughly 80% of individuals who do have emphysema, are smokers, hence why we can confidently say smoking is a major risk factor for emphysema.

Logical replies, like yours, to those who State “I would guess” on this forum is like trying to piss up a rope”. Keep trying though. It’ refreshing and even more entertaining.

How many times have medical opinions changed over the years?
Never.

camels-fresh-01-2015.jpg

Again, I think we have enough anecdotal evidence that spanking can be effective.

VN Store

Back