Group: Spanking Is Ineffective and Harmful to Children

Do you believe in spanking children?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oh this is nonsense. Cardiologists regardless of their heart condition are both being trained intensively in their field. Having a heart defect can motivate someone to specialize in cardiology, but it’s preposterous to say that someone’s own heart abnormality has any impact on their knowledge to learn about and diagnose the heart.

“My ophthalmologist had an eye infection when he was 17 so he probably knows more about the eye than that other ophthalmologist.”

Can you see how asinine this sounds.

They aren’t merely people “doing a study”. They are pediatricians who devote their life to learning and treating child health, growth, and development. Regardless, like I said earlier. Arguing against the credibility is a waste of time. If you feel what they are saying is unequivocally false, then fight the data.
So if your toilet is backed up, will you call your PhD neighbor that read a book on plumbing from Home Depot or your neighbor that has been a plumber for 20 years?

I think the rub here is whether or not these 'scientists' have any practical knowledge or whether or not it is just book learning. Who do you want flying your airplane when your airplane hits a flock of geese, Sully, or someone that saw the movie and flies Cessna 172s? Hell, I'd give the controls to Sully in heartbeat.

My mom would whip me with a belt over anything. All it did was make me try to hide things from her.

My Dad, a military vet and police officer, gave me one lash when I got caught stealing trading cards from Hills Dept Store when I was 12. I deserved it and could tell he didn’t want to even do it. Otherwise he would just make me feel the guilt of disappointing him. THAT made me think twice about things much more often than a furious whipping.

I don’t spank my kids. I’ll pull an ear on occasion to get their attention but I don’t like the idea of reacting with hitting. It sets a bad example IMO.

I’m sure these same physiological/behavioral experts will dismiss homosexuality/transgenderism as a mental disorder for sake of not hurting feelings and because it’s the PC thing. I highly doubt a cardiologist or an oncologist would not be honest to a patient in order to not scare them. Physiological and behavioral science isn’t as concrete as identifying a tumor or a bad heart valve.

I’m willing to be that if researchers found a study that chick fil spicy chicken sandwiches lower the risk for esophageal cancer, there wouldn’t be this much skeptism.

Of course not, that makes perfect sense.

I just wonder how many people have made an informed opinion on this. If you've never been spanked, how would you know how effective it is? My personal perspective, a hickory did its job in teaching me right from wrong.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
So if your toilet is backed up, will you call your PhD neighbor that read a book on plumbing from Home Depot or your neighbor that has been a plumber for 20 years?

I think the rub here is whether or not these 'scientists' have any practical knowledge or whether or not it is just book learning. Who do you want flying your airplane when your airplane hits a flock of geese, Sully, or someone that saw the movie and flies Cessna 172s? Hell, I'd give the controls to Sully in heartbeat.

If you have this much skeptism and ignorance toward science, there’s really no point to this argument.

I’m sure these same physiological/behavioral experts will dismiss homosexuality/transgenderism as a mental disorder for sake of not hurting feelings and because it’s the PC thing. I highly doubt a cardiologist or an oncologist would not be honest to a patient in order to not scare them. Physiological and behavioral science isn’t as concrete as identifying a tumor or a bad heart valve.

Are you trying to say psychological? Because physiological and psychological are two very different things.

The average mind doesn’t debate the existence of hydrogen bonding. But when it comes to anything psychological or sociological, skeptism pours in. They both go through scientific procedural methods to come to conclusions.

The average mind doesn’t debate the existence of hydrogen bonding. But when it comes to anything psychological or sociological, skeptism pours in. They both go through scientific procedural methods to come to conclusions.

You are not going to convince a group of parents that have had success and experience raising their own kids that they need to stop what they are doing or were wrong in the way they did it with opinions from some scientists they don’t know . That’s crazy . Experience is the best teacher ... always . Every child is different and that’s how you have to go about disciplining them. Do a read back and you’ll see that the replies to your posts are telling you this .

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I will note that the AAP has become very liberal over the past couple of decades. Reference the recent policy statement on "transgender youth" as a prime example.

Reactions: hog88
If you have this much skeptism and ignorance toward science, there’s really no point to this argument.
My life depends on Bernoulli's discoveries on a daily basis. Yeah, I eschew science. I also know that 'science' depends in a lot of ways on who is funding the research. Idiocracy is not too far off the mark in that respect.

Your complete faith in science is equally perplexing to me, especially when you know little of the research that goes on behind it. I guess if it is published in some journal somewhere it is automatically valid.

Be sure to smoke a pack a day since doctors at one time advocated for smoking as a healthy idea.

It's because you cannot prove what goes on in someone's mind. The next best thing is for leftists to control what goes into it.

Professional skepticism is a positive attribute in any field. You should never assume that every piece of prepared information has been compiled in a completely objective manner.

You can’t come to an exact answer with this question the way you can hydrogen bonding.

Human behavior varies from person to person. Spanking will make things better or worse for some. Not spanking will make things better or worse for some. There’s no exact 100% conclusion.

I am in the middle with this. I got my ass worn out when I was growing up and I still made dumb decisions as a young adult and did many things I am not proud of. I have also seen parents I know who use more positive reinforcement or the sit your ass in the corner for an hour punishment and their kids have turned out really good and are prospering as young adults. Most of the parenting issues and kids growing up to be degenerates is all a matter of how much time you spend with them IMO. I dont have a problem with spankings, but I also do have a problem with discipline without physical contact. JMO
I think it’s the personality of the child, some children feel like the world is ending if you take their social structure down for 2 days or some respond to negative reinforcement. As always, no punishment works with sociopaths 😁. As a child my fathers disapproval was enough.

The pediatricians gave straightforward evidence. I’m not sure if anyone can actually argue against this without just spitting their own anecdotal experiences or opinions.
Physical abuse never modified my behavior to adhere to the wishes of my family. Only taught me to develop dishonest/sneaky aspects of my personality.

VN Store

Back