1991 Notre Dame trailed 31-7
2005 LSU. Trailed 21-0
2015 Georgia. Trailed 24-3
2016 Florida trailed 21-0
1987 Vandy trailed 28-3
1991 Sugar Bowl against Virginia trailed 16-0
1998 Arkansas trailed 21-3

Last edited:
I've always said "we're a third quarter team". and I mean it. What haven't we comeback from to have won? We've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory more than once.

The LSU game was as much their ineptitude as it was us coming back.

Gotta be Miracle in South Bend

Edit - Upon second thought, the 98 game against Arky is neck and neck with the ND game.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
  • #5 ND hosting #13 UT
  • Lou Holtz vs Johnny Majors
  • The the Volunteers overcame a 24-point deficit, survived four turnovers--three of which resulted in Notre Dame touchdowns--and weathered a 315-yard performance by Irish rushers.
  • Andy Kelly completed 24 of 38 passes for 259 yards and three touchdowns.
  • ND owned a 31-7 lead with 23 seconds left in the first half when Tennessee cornerback Floyd Miley scooped up a blocked field goal and raced 85 yards for a touchdown.
  • At halftime, Majors scribbled on the locker room blackboard, “Tennessee 14, Notre Dame 10, Turnovers 21.”
  • Fortune flipped in the second half. Tennessee outscored Notre Dame 21-3.
  • Tennessee safety Dale Carter intercepted a pass by ND's Mirer. The ensuing drive, the Vols took the lead, 35-34.
  • With 4 seconds on the clock, Jeremy Lincoln's right buttock blocks the ND FG attempt to secure victory, 35 - 34.
  • Holtz: “I’ve been in this game a long time and that was as difficult a loss as I’ve ever been associated with--ever. It’s the most disappointed I’ve ever been in my life.”
  • Majors: “I can’t describe in words the meaning of this win and the way it happened.”

I was there on the 22 yard line west side, row 40. It happened right in front of me. I was ready to leave, and it happened. The AR qb put the ball on the ground. We recover, undefeated season, National champs after beating FSU. 1998.

I didn't care when AR beat us the following year. It had to have been a long year for Stoerner.

Had season tickets for 20 years. ND comeback was unbelievable. It just didn't mean as much.

Last edited:
The ‘87 Vandy game was a lot of fun for me personally…. I had seats right in the middle of the Vandy section in the lower bowl

VN Store

Back