Great read on CJP

I'm looking for us to win a game we shouldn't like last year but pick up all the games we should win and I'm gonna include SC in that group this year.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
He seems to have his finger on the pulse and knows what's going on. We just gotta wait and see, and hope, that it translates to the field. Really get excited thinking it might the beginning of something special.

Contrast that with the thin skinned, insecure, finger pointing trumpet player who preceded him.

Contrast that with the thin skinned, insecure, finger pointing trumpet player who preceded him.

Go ahead.

I might not feel the same if he didn't have the background he does and hadn't made some of the changes hes made in this off season. I have forgotten Butch unlike many others around here, that's in the past and Im just looking towards the future.

I also said he "seems to". He might not, it could all come crashing down on us worse than Butch's debacle did. But Ill leave all that worrying to those that get off on it.

The only thing "football" related that I hope for almost as much as Pruitt's success here, is your boy Mullen's failure.

Go ahead.

I might not feel the same if he didn't have the background he does and hadn't made some of the changes hes made in this off season. I have forgotten Butch unlike many others around here, that's in the past and Im just looking towards the future.

I also said he "seems to". He might not, it could all come crashing down on us worse than Butch's debacle did. But Ill leave all that worrying to those that get off on it.

The only thing "football" related that I hope for almost as much as Pruitt's success here, is your boy Mullen's failure.

You totally missed the tone of my post. I was agreeing with you on Pruitt’s demeanor and contrasting it with the doofus that came before him. It’s a refreshing change.

Reactions: Behr
Thought this was a great read. Shows not only a man who takes responsibility for how his team performs, but critiques himself as much as he critiques his players. Mods can merge if necessary.
Pruitt: Lukewarm player relationships were my fault

Off 247--Wes Rucker

HOOVER, Ala. — Jeremy Pruitt wasn’t kidding when he said he started his first offseason at Tennessee with a good, long look in the mirror.
He was awfully candid when disclosing the outcome, as well.
Tennessee’s head coach said in a side room during his Tuesday appearance at SEC Media Days that his well-intentioned focus on the long term didn’t help the short-term situation last season.
Pruitt blamed himself for the Vols’ 5-7 performance in his first season as a head coach and said things could have — and perhaps should have — would better if he’d kept his focus on the same place he’d always had it as an assistant coach. On his players.

A long time ago when I start out in the business world, I was one of the boys/gals at the place of business. We were a solid group. We knew most things about each other, and the happy and the lows of each others lives and rumors going round. Then I "moved up" to upper management (such as it was in a small environment, 30 or so employees) and things changed. I no longer "knew" what was going on with the "gang". It hurt. I have over the years come to understand the change "moving up" brings. If coach "P" can retain that "lower level" relationship, well he will, to me, have obtained the penitential of management.

No no no. You guys just don’t get it.

Itsh about individualsh. Itsh about trushting my system. Itsh about a will to win. Itsh about pershavveransch. And you know, you gotta schnap and clear and trusht in the schpirit of the trash can and Team (insert # here). Thesesch guysh are champions of life with 5 Star heartsh and will play complimentary football and rebuild thish brick by brick!!!

F2C7CF8C-1DA6-44EE-BA85-0E902A31FFA3.jpeg

Thinking about what he said and what we have seen over the years he was with his former boss, does his self analysis sound like the persona of that old boss? I say his early actions have some what mirrored "Sabin", the guy he was learning from. Now he sees the way/his way of being the "head man". I hope it can work. A little too much attention to one guy, as others may perceive it, can lead to problems.

Reactions: memtownvol
Pruitt inherited a mess. Keep in mind that many of the players who experienced success at the beginning of '16 also had the lows at the end that season. Then there was the disaster of '17. Then in '18, new coach, coordinators, etc. Change isn't easy for anyone - much less a 19-21 year old trying to makes sense of the world. Remember these same players saw their old coach, who recruited them to UT, celebrate their own deflating loss to Alabama with Alabama players. For many of them, I'm sure the world seemed upside down. They may have adopted a victim mentality.

If you've ever lead anything or tried to change anything organizationally, culture is a "beeech". It eats strategy for lunch and plans for dinner. It takes time to change a culture. CJP, from my perspective, is on the right track. He recognizes necessary changes quickly and makes them. He takes responsibility for the program's direction and changing culture. I believe UT's football program has seen the bottom and is headed back up.

When that happens, I hope Fulmer and Co. get the checkbook out - for all the coaches.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Pruitt inherited a mess. Keep in mind that many of the players who experienced success at the beginning of '16 also had the lows at the end that season. Then there was the disaster of '17. Then in '18, new coach, coordinators, etc. Change isn't easy for anyone - much less a 19-21 year old trying to makes sense of the world. Remember these same players saw their old coach, who recruited them to UT, celebrate their own deflating loss to Alabama with Alabama players. For many of them, I'm sure the world seemed upside down. They may have adopted a victim mentality.

If you've ever lead anything or tried to change anything organizationally, culture is a "beeech". It eats strategy for lunch and plans for dinner. It takes time to change a culture. CJP, from my perspective, is on the right track. He recognizes necessary changes quickly and makes them. He takes responsibility for the program's direction and changing culture. I believe UT's football program has seen the bottom and is headed back up.

When that happens, I hope Fulmer and Co. get the checkbook out - for all the coaches.

This.

If nothing else, Pruitt came in last year and clearly let it be known the culture was changing. He hit resistance, he botched a few things, but that's not unexpected for a new coach. It is his first shot at truly being the leader.

How he approaches molding HIS culture this year will say a lot. A lot of the Lyle players are gone, some have bought in, and the others will ride the bench, I suspect.

If next year we are seeing the same mistakes we saw last year, I will start to worry. I'm hoping for 7 wins this year, a good bowl effort, and no blowouts against teams with better talent. If that happens, we have found ourselves a winner.

I like it a lot!

The used car salesman would have made another commercial of him putting a brick on a mailbox for some insurance company....

Pruitt blamed himself for the Vols’ 5-7 performance in his first season as a head coach

I read this 13 times. I still can't decipher it's meaning. Is it possible for a HC to do what I think this says? After the 5 previous years, I'm 100% positive that this is not possible. Can anyone translate? o_O

Reactions: memtownvol

VN Store

Back