Great article from a friend of mine

Someone brought up a good point regarding mayors making these orders to close things. Only the governor or health department has that authority. So what is their legal basis for doing so? Some cities are deciding they don’t have the authority to make these calls.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Someone brought up a good point regarding mayors making these orders to close things. Only the governor or health department has that authority. So what is their legal basis for doing so? Some cities are deciding they don’t have the authority to make these calls.
Government closest to the people... that would be the mayor or sheriff.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
The county health department can close your restaurant. What authority does the mayor have?
IDK. I assume these municipal executive officers assume they have powers on their level equal to the powers of the chief executive of the country. POTUS always come out with executive orders that by-pass the legislative process, so why shouldn't mayors feel they have the same powers to have executive orders?

Reactions: Purple Tiger
IDK. I assume these municipal executive officers assume they have powers on their level equal to the powers of the chief executive of the country. POTUS always come out with executive orders that by-pass the legislative process, so why shouldn't mayors feel they have the same powers to have executive orders?
Rather than assume I’d rather people actually look into if they’re empowered by law. I’ve seen a fair amount of “I don’t know if they can but I’m glad they did” which is governing by feels. I didn’t sign up for that. If you’re a literate adult in an elected position you should know what authority you have. Guessing you do is the laziest possible way you could govern.

Rather than assume I’d rather people actually look into if they’re empowered by law. I’ve seen a fair amount of “I don’t know if they can but I’m glad they did” which is governing by feels. I didn’t sign up for that. If you’re a literate adult in an elected position you should know what authority you have. Guessing you do is the laziest possible way you could govern.

Our county health official is calling the shots. Maybe he's right but he's unelected and I have no idea if he has the authority to make the pronouncements he's making.

It's worth determining if it's within his authority I would think.

Cookeville is one of those cities. Any closings by businesses, etc., has been voluntary or due to social pressure/bad press for being open. Mayor said on radio yesterday morning that the city does not have the legal right to shut any business down. I'm in the camp that believes we have gone too far, and that we can do the right things without crippling the economy or the work force. I believe it is up to individual businesses to decide what to do and how to go about it. I did not think highly of Farci sending everyone into panic. He was one of the chief instigators. I think shuttering schools accomplishes very little. Those kids faced less threat of exposure in class than running around town with nothing to do, joining mass crowds at Walmart, Lowes and the like.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back