Grant Williams/Jimmy Chitwood

I need Grant to host an impromptu press conference right now and channel Hoosier's legend Jimmy Chitwood. "Coach stay, I play. He goes, I go." C'mon Grant....bring the Deacon back with you!
I love Hoosiers. But not sure 1 year with Grant would trump 4-7 years of southern California 5 stars headed your way.

Last edited:
its hard to turn down California weather as a coach or a recruit. 5 Stars go where the coaches are.

I just don't think that many star players are going to head that direction. I may be wrong but I think the mystique of that place is gone.
Even 1 a year is more likely than consistently getting a 5 star coming to Tennessee. Once in awhile to Knoxville yes but when you dont have to get on a plane to get kids is a big plus for an older coach. He can just recruit within a 1 hour radius and field a really good basketball team. In Knoxville the majority of best talent are either the other side of the state or Atlanta. So 4-7 hours away from knoxville.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
its hard to turn down California weather as a coach or a recruit. 5 Stars go where the coaches are.

Good luck there in that state being able to be so open about his faith and his position on social issues from a Bible perspective. And as a native NC person, I don't see SoCal being a huge draw when it's cross country from your family. If he was in his 30's? Yes. Not at 64

This whole situation has me perplexed.I am a little hot headed right now and if I were Fulmer,I might tell rick to take the UCLA job or resign. I don't want someone coaching here that doesn't seem to think this is home, being in his late 60's.Also do not appreciate it being said it's not about the money.Of course it is.Would we be talking about this if UCLA was offering 3 mil. per year?

Good luck there in that state being able to be so open about his faith and his position on social issues from a Bible perspective. And as a native NC person, I don't see SoCal being a huge draw when it's cross country from your family. If he was in his 30's? Yes. Not at 64
rick gonna get turnt up at the viper room.

All of those saying it is hard to turn down Southern California weather, have you ever lived there? I have. It isn't all beaches and Hollywood lifestyle. 90% of it is a sh!thole with high crime, horrible traffic, high cost of living and high taxes. It isn't 5 million people living the laid back beach life.

I need Grant to host an impromptu press conference right now and channel Hoosier's legend Jimmy Chitwood. "Coach stays, I play. He goes, I go." C'mon Grant....bring the Deacon back with you!
If Barnes prefers UCLA over Tennessee, let him go. If it's that tough a decision for him, maybe he wasn't the right person long term in the first place.

Reactions: amorange
Even 1 a year is more likely than consistently getting a 5 star coming to Tennessee. Once in awhile to Knoxville yes but when you dont have to get on a plane to get kids is a big plus for an older coach. He can just recruit within a 1 hour radius and field a really good basketball team. In Knoxville the majority of best talent are either the other side of the state or Atlanta. So 4-7 hours away from knoxville.
I can assure you UCLA expects more than a "really good basketball team."

I just don't think that many star players are going to head that direction. I may be wrong but I think the mystique of that place is gone.
That’s kind of how I feel about it. I keep hearing “yeah but that place has tremendous history from back in the John wooden days.” Exactly, the John wooden days. These are not the John wooden days anymore.

I lived in Pasadena CA for 10 years and just recently relocated to Houston, TX. You can say what you want, but the weather can't make up for what a crap-hole CA is turning into. Ridiculous cost of housing, gas, taxes, entertainment; plus the absolute idiots they have elected to run the state. Homelessness and drug addiction is running rampant. They need a good man of faith like Barnes out there, but I wouldn't wish that lifestyle on him for nothing...

I lived in Pasadena CA for 10 years and just recently relocated to Houston, TX. You can say what you want, but the weather can't make up for what a crap-hole CA is turning into. Ridiculous cost of housing, gas, taxes, entertainment; plus the absolute idiots they have elected to run the state. Homelessness and drug addiction is running rampant. They need a good man of faith like Barnes out there, but I wouldn't wish that lifestyle on him for nothing...

It all depends on where you live. If you live in more conservative areas of CA, it is a much better place to live. We live in Orange County and love it. Comparing LA and SF to the rest of the state is not an accurate depiction. Orange County is full of families, churches and conservative minded people. We definitely pay for the weather (aka sunshine tax), but its worth it.

Reactions: volnut1
And for the record, we lived in LA for a brief period of time and absolutely hated it.

If he leaves we can get Majors to step in and coordinate running the picket fence.

“Don’t get caught watching the paint dry”

Reactions: LoudOrange
Have you ever been to LA? You can recruit just in LA and it could take you 3-4 hours just to get to a school because of traffic. A 10 minute ride to the airport here and a short drive to schools is much less stressful than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours without moving so much as a mile or two.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
I have never lived in LA, but I have been there many times for business. Every single time I have been to LA, as I board my flight out of LAX I wonder why anyone would ever want to live there. I live in Chattanooga. I commented to one of my LA customers once that I had driven to Atlanta to catch the flight out. He said 'Wow, how long did that take?' When I told him a little less than 2 hours, he just laughed and said that's not even a commute in LA.

Quite honestly, the Tennessee mountains are like magnets. When I am away, they pull me back. I guess I should never say never, but I can't imagine me EVER wanting to live there. Maybe Barnes will feel the same way.

That’s kind of how I feel about it. I keep hearing “yeah but that place has tremendous history from back in the John wooden days.” Exactly, the John wooden days. These are not the John wooden days anymore.
And sadly these are not Pat Summit day anymore.

Reactions: MocVol
It all depends on where you live. If you live in more conservative areas of CA, it is a much better place to live. We live in Orange County and love it. Comparing LA and SF to the rest of the state is not an accurate depiction. Orange County is full of families, churches and conservative minded people. We definitely pay for the weather (aka sunshine tax), but its worth it.

Agree with you. I lived in the Bay area and now (thankfully) live in the DFW area. I have visited Orange County many times for work and I like it a lot. It isn’t where I would choose to live, but it is a nice part of CA.

Reactions: SDV

VN Store

Back