Grant Williams a Finalist for Naismith POY Trophy

So here's my question... Is this strictly a regular season award or does it encompass the post season (conference and NCAA tournaments)?

It strictly encompasses the games that Zion Williamson played in, and only those games.

LOL... That's essentially why I was asking. If it's only a regular season award then I'm sorry but he has no business winning it. He missed 20% of the regular season and a 1/3 of their ACC games (including 2 losses to UNC that cost them an ACC title).

But if it encompasses the post-season then that's a different story. TBH, if that's the case, he'd probably have my vote. He showed out in the ACCT and probably will in the NCAAT as well.

Although... It's really irrelevant cause regardless of the criteria, Zion is gonna win it and won't be close.

zion the savior has it locked down. marketing is a powerful thing. almost like ncaa and espn are getting a kickback....but they wouldnt do that, right?

LOL... That's essentially why I was asking. If it's only a regular season award then I'm sorry but he has no business winning it. He missed 20% of the regular season and a 1/3 of their ACC games (including 2 losses to UNC that cost them an ACC title).

But if it encompasses the post-season then that's a different story. TBH, if that's the case, he'd probably have my vote. He showed out in the ACCT and probably will in the NCAAT as well.
The people who want him to win it will use that information you provided to spin it in his favor.

Don’t even bother watching the presentation. They have already renamed it the Zion Award.

And truthfully, he probably deserves it, all things considered. Grant has a great year, but it just happened to coincide with a great player (once in 10 year type player) having a better one. Just unfortunate timing.

Reactions: pimo1
Fans can vote starting Friday March 22 @ naismithtrophy.com/vote. I think it counts towards 5 % of total votes.

Let's fill the ballots for Grant Williams!

The people who want him to win it will use that information you provided to spin it in his favor.

Don’t even bother watching the presentation. They have already renamed it the Zion Award.

And truthfully, he probably deserves it, all things considered. Grant has a great year, but it just happened to coincide with a great player (once in 10 year type player) having a better one. Just unfortunate timing.
Maybe Grant comes back next year for the three-peat SEC POY and wins the Naismith as well?

im fine with it as long as GW is first team or second team all american.

I'm sure they use the same logic that the Selection Committee used. Duke did not get penalized at all for losing the games they lost without Zion while UNC got full credit for beating Duke without Zion.

With all that being said, Grant is battling to be runner-up for the award this year.....

Does Duke win 20+ games without Zion = Yes
Does Tenn. win 20+ games without Grant = NO
Not saying Grant is better or anything like that...... but Duke won like 29 games last year without Zion. Duke had the top 2 recruits in the country this year, and they were not Zion..... sure Zion turned out to be better for this year, but I don’t see any way Duke with Grant could NOT win 20 games........ they would win 20 without either.

Duke is certainly worse without Zion, but still would do good. How would Tennessee have faired without Grant?

I claim Zion is better but Grant means more to Tennessee.

No conspiracy, Zion is the best CB player maybe in last 20 years. Grant is well deserving of the award, just an unlucky year to have Zion playing as well. Grant would be the best player on most any team. Zion makes almost any team a national contender. Zion is what it would have looked like if one and done was active when Lebron graduated HS. A full grown man playing in college when he clearly is ready for the NBA. He can out jump and is quicker than anyone his size, accept for 1 thing, there is no one his size. He is slightly taller and nearly 50 lbs heavier than Grant with more speed and bigger ups, and arguably a better outside shot. Edit-Best CB player since David Robinson in 87

Last edited:
To put it in comparison, there is a greater difference in weight between Grant and Zion than there is between Grant and Lamonte Turner.

It would be cool to see Zion with Morant at Murray St. I would pick them over Duke without Zion any day.

VN Store

Back