Grant will test the NBA draft waters

I think Bonzie Colson is a a recent player that is similar to Grant, 6’5”/6’6” with a 7’ wingspan, almost identical games and very similar numbers...he went undrafted.

Testing the water...meh. I know it's his option, but I'm not a fan of this testing the waters bit. Either go or come back. Make the decision and roll with it.

Testing the water...meh. I know it's his option, but I'm not a fan of this testing the waters bit. Either go or come back. Make the decision and roll with it.

Come on surely you want him getting the best feedback he can so he can make the best decision?

Reactions: VolNExile
Come on surely you want him getting the best feedback he can so he can make the best decision?

I suppose, but I'm a UT fan first and foremost. The way things are set up our hands are tied. We can't do anything to fill holes in our roster until Bone and Grant make their calls. In June, I have to wonder what will be left to recruit if they both leave?

I suppose, but I'm a UT fan first and foremost. The way things are set up our hands are tied. We can't do anything to fill holes in our roster until Bone and Grant make their calls. In June, I have to wonder what will be left to recruit if they both leave?
I agree. Puts us in a tight spot. If you can pull in high caliber players I'd say get them.

Reactions: Big time vol
Thank God you are not an agent. Worst advice ever. Lol.

I'm not an agent. I'm not giving advice. I'm a UT fan looking at not knowing what our roster will look like and not being able to address potential shortfalls until June. If you're reading comprehension is that lacking, I really can't help you.

I'm not an agent. I'm not giving advice. I'm a UT fan looking at not knowing what our roster will look like and not being able to address potential shortfalls until June. If you're reading comprehension is that lacking, I really can't help you.
My comprehension was perfect. Thanks for checking though. Your complex ideas were not quite over my head. But close. I was simply pointing out that while as fans we certainly have our own selfish views.... thank God the players get advice from people with proper motivations.

Reactions: VolNExile
I know we are all fans but what has made the last few years so special is the effort these players have put into the community. They make us (at least myself) feel a personal connection to them. With that said I want what's best for Grant Williams first and foremost.

Imo your take is how I would feel if I was a Kentucky fan with their one and dones year after year

What would you set the O/U at for his draft pick? 22.5?
That sounds about right from what I've seen. I don't think he falls out the first. I think he would not get past the Spurs. He is the type of guy they draft late in the first. The Pacers at 24 may be a good fit also. Above that it just depends on if someone calls in love with him during draft process. I think he is thought of as a top 25 guy by most.

That sounds about right from what I've seen. I don't think he falls out the first. I think he would not get past the Spurs. He is the type of guy they draft late in the first. The Pacers at 24 may be a good fit also. Above that it just depends on if someone calls in love with him during draft process. I think he is thought of as a top 25 guy by most.
I think he goes outside the top 25

It is definitely possible depending on workouts. I think getting drafted by the Warriors or Spurs would be great for him.

Right now he is projected to go higher by most

Some late team in the first will take him just because he can probably be at minimum a cheap role player from day 1 once his shooting improves.

Reactions: k-town_king
Moving up and down website draft boards right now is fairly arbitrary. Movement based on different opinions of different people making the lists. Some movement from discussions with GM's but probably not as much as you would think. Workouts and combines will be where actual important movement will be seen up and down draft boards.

Grant's mocks are all over the place. I think it is just going to take one team to fall in love with him for him to go pretty high. I don't really see it happening in the lottery, but you never know.

Grant's mocks are all over the place. I think it is just going to take one team to fall in love with him for him to go pretty high. I don't really see it happening in the lottery, but you never know.
And that is really not a surprise because these guys doing these mocks don't have a consensus on how to evaluate a player like Grant. He is that player that is tough to evaluate for the next level because he is unconventional. Highly productive. A couple of elite skills. Strong intangibles. But then also he doesn't fit the size criteria for his position in the NBA. And he has some weaknesses in his skillset/athleticism that seem to limit his ability to adapt to a different position in the NBA. So what the heck do you do with that combination of factors? Your guess is as good as mine. And that goes exactly the same for all these mock draft gurus. And shoot even NBA GM's for that matter. The bottom line, as you pointed out, it only takes one team to think productivity, narrow elite skills, and intangibles definitely outweigh the other stuff and you got him going middle of the first round. But what if you don't find that one GM? Therefore, he winds up all over the different draft boards.

And that is really not a surprise because these guys doing these mocks don't have a consensus on how to evaluate a player like Grant. He is that player that is tough to evaluate for the next level because he is unconventional. Highly productive. A couple of elite skills. Strong intangibles. But then also he doesn't fit the size criteria for his position in the NBA. And he has some weaknesses in his skillset/athleticism that seem to limit his ability to adapt to a different position in the NBA. So what the heck do you do with that combination of factors? Your guess is as good as mine. And that goes exactly the same for all these mock draft gurus. And shoot even NBA GM's for that matter. The bottom line, as you pointed out, it only takes one team to think productivity, narrow elite skills, and intangibles definitely outweigh the other stuff and you got him going middle of the first round. But what if you don't find that one GM? Therefore, he winds up all over the different draft boards.

Grant is one of those players where he is undersized even against most college player power forwards. People question his athleticism and skillset. All he can do is win. I remember this being said about another great BB player.

VN Store

Back