Grant will test the NBA draft waters

Better decide quickly. Does Barnes have 4 scholarships to offer or 5 scholarships?
Grant leaves = 5 scholarships
Grant stays = 4 scholarships

I don't follow basketball recruiting much so I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all decisions will be final before the next signing period? I suspect the difficulty will be in knowing how many spots you'll have especially when it comes to the transfer portal. If you have to wait on Bone and Grant, you really can't offer their spots. I'm sure the die hards will know and chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.

That's not what he said.
“I have decided to test the waters in the NBA Draft process and will now forego my last season at the University of Tennessee with the capability to come back and finish what I started here,” Almost exactly what he said.

Reactions: TNBV
My head snapped around when one of the reporters asked how much his decision will depend on whether Bone comes back or not. I hadn't seen or heard anything from Bone to suggest that his decision is soft or that he is keeping the door open to returning, but maybe I've missed something.

Reactions: Giveem6 and Vols410
Even if he fully intends to return, there’s no downside to trying out with NBA scouts. He’ll know what parts of his game to work on to be successful at the next level. Same thing Admiral did last year before ultimately deciding to come back.

Exactly. He would be foolish to not take advantage of this opportunity.

Reactions: Big time vol
My head snapped around when one of the reporters asked how much his decision will depend on whether Bone comes back or not. I hadn't seen or heard anything from Bone to suggest that his decision is soft or that he is keeping the door open to returning, but maybe I've missed something.

Bone said himself he’s not saying he won’t return in his video.

Reactions: Jonboy
He actually said "...but I will not forgo my last season at the University of Tennessee."

Grant Williams Announces He will Test NBA Waters, Could Return | RTI

First chance I had to watch the video, but SDS misquoted then. In any case, since you can hire an agent and still return, isn't it all the same now?

“I have decided to test the waters in the NBA Draft process and will now forego my last season at the University of Tennessee with the capability to come back and finish what I started here,” Williams stated.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/grant-williams-tennessee-volunteers-basketball-announces-nba-draft-2019/

Grant Williams will be testing the NBA waters and will forego his senior year at Tennessee. Best of luck to Grant.
He said he was testing the waters with NBA draft process and NOT forgo his Senior year ... sounds like he wants to be evaluated to see where the NBA thinks he needs to improve and see if it matches what he thinks he needs to improve on and then if that requires more work in college then he will be back ... only way I see he stays in draft is if Agent persuades him or the NBA tells him he is ready and he can work on things in the NBA to improve .....

I don’t understand why you hold a press conference to announce you’re entering the draft? I thought for sure he was doing it to build the hype for next season’s run for his return.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Kinda strange press conference on the heels of the Barnes' news. Sounds like he is leaving the door open.

Yep. I think Grant is a great College Player who would greatly benefit from another year in College. He will need to shoot the 3 better as a pro; and his ball handling could be better. He can be the Hero at UT or a journeyman . I KNOW what I'd rather be.

Rick Barnes is a little richer now.

And we gonna see how good Rick is next year. But evidently he has confidence that the Vols are going to be Good; or he might have taken that job. BUT WHO wants to live in Crazy Cali anymore? Not ole Country Rick Barnes; fosho.

The timing of Barnes's decision to stay and now the pressor makes me think that Barnes's decision has made Grant rethink his position. It's really a no lose for Grant. If he's evaluated and can go somewhere in the first round, it's a no brainer. But if he feels that staying helps his stock as well as competing for a championship next season, he might stay. Barnes's decision has definitely played a role plus if Bone returns, which could happen, then I think he stays. So to sum it up, I don't know sh!t.

Reactions: BartW and gnm53108

That's disturbing!

giphy.gif

The timing of Barnes's decision to stay and now the pressor makes me think that Barnes's decision has made Grant rethink his position. It's really a no lose for Grant. If he's evaluated and can go somewhere in the first round, it's a no brainer. But if he feels that staying helps his stock as well as competing for a championship next season, he might stay. Barnes's decision has definitely played a role plus if Bone returns, which could happen, then I think he stays. So to sum it up, I don't know sh!t.
This.

VN Store

Back