'20 Grad Transfer RB Trey Sermon

Probably because Tony Iommi was friends with Ian Anderson and briefly played with Tull around 68 or so, But he wasn't as technical as Martin Barre, who would go on to become Tull's lead guitarist, and at least at that time, wasn't capable of playing what Anderson was writing, which was more prog rock than blues based. That's not to say Iommi was not a good guitarist, obviously, just that Barre was better suited for what Anderson was looking for in Tull.
Tull played some epic shows at the Civic Coliseum back in the day. Saw them ca 1976. Barre was awesome.

It is, did someone say otherwise?

It was partly my fault. When I saw the post regarding the song's riff being ripped off from Aqualung, I glanced up to see what song he was referring to and saw the words Heaven and Hell without looking closely at the entire quoted lyrics and immediately thought of Heaven And Hell by Sabbath.

It was partly my fault. When I saw the post regarding the song's riff being ripped off from Aqualung, I glanced up to see what song he was referring to and saw the words Heaven and Hell without looking closely at the entire quoted lyrics and immediately thought of Heaven And Hell by Sabbath.
That's all right. All three are great songs, that's good enough for me. For example, the solo from "She" by Kiss is taken straight from The Doors "Five to One." It happens.

Reactions: BaldBiker
Tull played some epic shows at the Civic Coliseum back in the day. Saw them ca 1976. Barre was awesome.
Attempted to see them open One For the Sun at the former Starwood Amphitheater in Nashville 1986. His mic kept going out. Ian ended up dropping the mic and walking off. Didn’t get to see again until a few years ago at The Ryman and they was way passed their prime.

My parents made my teenage sister and her friends take me to see Jethro Tull on the Thick as a Brick tour when I was eleven. First time I ever saw doobie.

I must have seen them six times over a 40 year period, Anderson changed band members in the 1970s like people change underwear, probably kept Barre longer than anyone else. I liked them best when they had guys like Clive Bunker and Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond. And whoever the guy was that played the glockenscpiel (sic).

Reactions: Frozevol
My parents made my teenage sister and her friends take me to see Jethro Tull on the Thick as a Brick tour when I was eleven. First time I ever saw doobie.

I must have seen them six times over a 40 year period, Anderson changed band members in the 1970s like people change underwear, probably kept Barre longer than anyone else. I liked them best when they had guys like Clive Bunker and Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond. And whoever the guy was that played the glockenscpiel (sic).

Their first 3 lps, Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung we're their best, I thought. Thick As A Brick was good, but overall I didn't enjoy it as much as those first 3, all of which I still listen to. After TAAB I didn't care for any of their remaining lps. There were decent songs here and there, but not enough to redeem any of the lps.

Reactions: Frozevol
Their first 3 lps, Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung we're their best, I thought. Thick As A Brick was good, but overall I didn't enjoy it as much as those first 3, all of which I still listen to. After TAAB I didn't care for any of their remaining lps. There were decent songs here and there, but not enough to redeem any of the lps.
I liked their acoustic/semi-folkish stuff that were in Albums like Minstrel in the Gallery, Too Old to Rock and Roll, Songs from the Wood, etc. , but after their Living on Hard Times album I never bought another one. I still think some of the stuff like Passion Play were just experiments he was screwing around with, but they published anyway.

i saw them at the Tivoli in Chattanooga probably 15-18 years ago, and Martin could still saw the hell out of the Aqualung solo.

I liked their acoustic/semi-folkish stuff that were in Albums like Minstrel in the Gallery, Too Old to Rock and Roll, Songs from the Wood, etc. , but after their Living on Hard Times album I never bought another one. I still think some of the stuff like Passion Play were just experiments he was screwing around with, but they published anyway.

i saw them at the Tivoli in Chattanooga probably 15-18 years ago, and Martin could still saw the hell out of the Aqualung solo.
Liked for the Tivoli reference.

While in high school saw Tull at KCC in May 1973. First live performance of Passion Play. Setlist confirmed my hazy memory of intense finishing run of songs.

Barre is/was touring, saw him in Bonita Springs FL 2018ish Martin Barre tour - USA tour dates & European tour dates + tickets

VN Store

Back