Good Tee story from 99

Not to take away form the cool factor that our QB scared a grown man, but what kind of bed wetter excuse for a grown man is so intimidated by an athlete that they run away. Now if he was barking at him and foaming at the mouth while chewing on a severed arm I'd probably steer clear too.

I imagine in 98 or 99 coming into Neyland was not a very good feeling for most players and coaches. Pretty much the same "Roman Colosseum" feeling that regular or sacrificial teams have going to Bama or Clemson of late. Only the top teams feel they have a legit chance.

I imagine in 98 or 99 coming into Neyland was not a very good feeling for most players and coaches. Pretty much the same "Roman Colosseum" feeling that regular or sacrificial teams have going to Bama or Clemson of late. Only the top teams feel they have a legit chance.

We WILL get back to that level. I still love the quote by the OU lineman from when they played here about Neyland being oppressively loud or something to that effect.

Edit: found it. This is from Ty Darlington, a former offensive lineman at OU.

“I was never a big believer in homefield advantage,” he wrote. “I scoffed at the notion that a fan could actually have an impact on a football game. You have a hostile crowd? Good. I feed off of hostile crowds, and I embrace it when fans ridicule me. You think you’re loud? Whatever. We use a silent count anyways, and noise is only a factor on three to four plays a game. Your homefield advantage is incredibly overrated. Bring it on. You’re wasting your breath.”

Then, he felt Neyland Stadium get under his skin. Literally.

"And then I ran out of the tunnel in Knoxville, Tennessee, FOR WARMUP and was greeted by thousands of screaming fans and the chorus of ‘Rocky Top,’ Darlington said. “The game wasn’t set to start for over an hour, and these people seemed to think it was kickoff time. I exited the tunnel for the pregame warm-up, and those psychotic students were already there, giving us a small preview of what to expect in the hours to come. What had we gotten ourselves into?

“What followed in the 4 quarters and 2 overtimes of play was a dissertation on the impact a crowd CAN have upon a football game. The Vol faithful made it absolutely impossible to communicate. On the first drive, we had to change our snap count, because even our silent count was ineffective against that wall of noise. I came off the field after that first drive and reassured Coach Bedenbaugh that the fans would settle down in due time, and that noise was not going to be an issue going forward. Boy was I wrong. The noise was a constant, oppressive force. I could literally feel it on my skin. But these fans weren’t just loud on the first drive. Or just on 3rd down. Or just in the fourth quarter. It was every. single. play.”

We WILL get back to that level. I still love the quote by the OU lineman from when they played here about Neyland being oppressively loud or something to that effect.

Edit: found it. This is from Ty Darlington, a former offensive lineman at OU.

“I was never a big believer in homefield advantage,” he wrote. “I scoffed at the notion that a fan could actually have an impact on a football game. You have a hostile crowd? Good. I feed off of hostile crowds, and I embrace it when fans ridicule me. You think you’re loud? Whatever. We use a silent count anyways, and noise is only a factor on three to four plays a game. Your homefield advantage is incredibly overrated. Bring it on. You’re wasting your breath.”

Then, he felt Neyland Stadium get under his skin. Literally.

"And then I ran out of the tunnel in Knoxville, Tennessee, FOR WARMUP and was greeted by thousands of screaming fans and the chorus of ‘Rocky Top,’ Darlington said. “The game wasn’t set to start for over an hour, and these people seemed to think it was kickoff time. I exited the tunnel for the pregame warm-up, and those psychotic students were already there, giving us a small preview of what to expect in the hours to come. What had we gotten ourselves into?

“What followed in the 4 quarters and 2 overtimes of play was a dissertation on the impact a crowd CAN have upon a football game. The Vol faithful made it absolutely impossible to communicate. On the first drive, we had to change our snap count, because even our silent count was ineffective against that wall of noise. I came off the field after that first drive and reassured Coach Bedenbaugh that the fans would settle down in due time, and that noise was not going to be an issue going forward. Boy was I wrong. The noise was a constant, oppressive force. I could literally feel it on my skin. But these fans weren’t just loud on the first drive. Or just on 3rd down. Or just in the fourth quarter. It was every. single. play.”

He was right. It NEVER dissipated the ENTIRE game. My vocals were shot! Best Neyland Atmosphere I've ever seen since going as a kid in 73'.

Thanks for posting this. I've always been a bit perturbed that Tee Martin doesn't get more discussion/attention by the fan base. He is our only recent NC winning QB, and he deserves better from our fan base.

I would like to hear Tee’s version of this, if it was significant enough for to him to remember

The '99 was as talented or more than the NC 98 team. They had to many players with NFL possibilities and many of thse players laid down, guarding against injury. It culminated in the AK loss and the disease spread. Fulmer has to take the blame as much as he took the accolades in 98.

VN Store

Back