Good ole Butch strikes again

Savannahbayvol

— Finally, shoutout to Butchy Boi for kicking a 26-yard field goal down 35-0 to avoid a shutout at Washington. Arkansas State fell to the previously winless Huskies, 52-3. Go ahead and circle Thursday, October 7th on your calendar. That’s when Jamey Chadwell and Coastal Carolina will invade Jonestown and annihilate the Red Wolves on national TV.

Butch also won his first game as their new head coach and scored 50 points in a 5-point loss to Memphis, who beat Mississippi State the following week. I predict that Arkansas State will have a winning team this season under Butch and go to a bowl game. And given Butch's record in bowl games, they'll probably win that game, too.

Butch is a good coach and he still has a bright future. It just didn't work out for him at UT. No need to be petty and hold a grudge, IMO. He didn't screw us over like Lane Kiffin, who half the people here seem to have some sort of man-crush on.

It's amazing that four of our last five coaches have left us in a place where it's difficult to pull for them, in fact it's difficult to even like them.

Fulmer shot his reputation with greed and arrogance, Dooley was a prick, Butch was a fraud, and Jeremy is a straight up a-hole.

The truly remarkable part is that somehow Lane kiffin came out of that group the most likable coach of all.

And I will say this for our current coach and his staff: Criticize and analyze it like we do as fans, but the bottom line is these seem to be genuinely good and likable human beings. So even if they don't work out, I don't foresee us ever being at a point of straight up hating them.

Last edited:
It's amazing that four of our last five coaches have left us in a place where it's difficult to pull for them, in fact it's difficult to even like them.

Fulmer shot his reputation with greed and arrogance, Dooley was a prick, Butch was a fraud, and Jeremy is a straight up a-hole.

The truly remarkable part is that somehow Lane kiffin came out of that group the most likable coach of all.

And I will say this for our current coach and his staff: Criticize and analyze it like we do as fans, but the bottom line is these seem to be genuinely good and likable human beings
. So even if they don't work out, I don't for see us ever being at a point of straight up hating them.
I agree 100% and the players really seem to love them...If we're patient "Which is laughable with this fanbase" I think CJH and staff will be great things for us.

Butch also won his first game as their new head coach and scored 50 points in a 5-point loss to Memphis, who beat Mississippi State the following week. I predict that Arkansas State will have a winning team this season under Butch and go to a bowl game. And given Butch's record in bowl games, they'll probably win that game, too.

Butch is a good coach and he still has a bright future. It just didn't work out for him at UT. No need to be petty and hold a grudge, IMO. He didn't screw us over like Lane Kiffin, who half the people here seem to have some sort of man-crush on.

Butch isn’t a good coach because he won’t allow himself to be.

Too stubborn to make necessary changes and didn’t let the right people do their job.

As far as Butch goes to hell with him wherever he goes. He burned so any bridges and recruited so many fake players it was unreal. This post is also ridiculous at the end. Lane left for a top 5 job in America at USC get over it and blame the AD who put a no buyout clause in his contract.

Butch isn’t a good coach because he won’t allow himself to be.

Too stubborn to make necessary changes and didn’t let the right people do their job.

He inherited a program in chaos (thanks to everyone's new favorite, Kiffin, leaving us high and dry). He probably wasn't anyone's first choice, but he was an experienced head coach with a winning career record and a reputation as a coach on the rise. And he was willing to take the job.

We had a 28-34 record in the 5 seasons before Butch. In his 5 seasons at UT we were 34-27. This included 3 post-season bowl games in which Butch was a perfect 3-0, outscoring our opponents 128-58. After a 5-7 start in 2013, he went 7-6 in Year Two and then had back-to-back 9-win seasons.

Unfortunately for Butch, this turnaround caused most fans (myself included) to believe that we were back to being SEC contenders. Expectations for 2016 had been through the roof, so 9 wins was seen as a huge disappointment. It may have been the most injury-plagued Vol football season ever, but there seemed to be zero patience among the fans and behind the scenes. We lost Dobbs to the NFL for 2017 and 3 QBs struggled and failed to fill his shoes. It was so bad that JG eventually emerged as the front-runner. An 0-5 SEC start sank any chance Butch may have had, even though 3 of those losses were competitive. The 2 blowout losses were to UGA & Bama, who would eventually meet in the national championship game that season. After the Kentucky loss, the team seemed to quit. Butch's fate was sealed and the writing was on the wall.

I don't know what Butch was stubborn about or who he failed to all to do their job. But I think he will be a successful head coach in the future based on what I've seen. I think he tried to win here and was a good ambassador for our program. He did a lot of good things off the field. It just didn't work out. I don't understand why so many of our fans have such a hatred for him.

Reactions: vettefool
As far as Butch goes to hell with him wherever he goes. He burned so any bridges and recruited so many fake players it was unreal. This post is also ridiculous at the end. Lane left for a top 5 job in America at USC get over it and blame the AD who put a no buyout clause in his contract.

Oh, I do blame the AD. There's plenty of blame to go around. You may think it's "ridiculous" for a coach to want to stay at Tennessee and not run off after one season. As a Tennessee fan, I don't view any other program as above ours. But that's just me.

But he did screw us over.

Any goodwill I had for Butch Jones went out the door when he went to work for Saban as an intern just to screw us with the buyout. If he didn't do that then I could understand. But that was petty and a slap in the face going to our biggest rival. That is low class and sign of a vindictive and miserable human being. I hope he loses every game he coaches and magnificently fails.

I get that he had bad taste in his mouth with everything and the 2017 season and what not. I'm also sure he felt like he wasn't treated right. But you know what...he got paid millions to coach at a top university in the SEC. Expectations are real and if he was even slightly professional he would have understood that is what comes with the territory. He is a former trumpet player and used car salesmen and he acts like it.

F that guy.

Last edited:

This. And the reason fans have a love affair with Kiffin is because he has an offense putting 700 yards of offense a game with a legit heisman QB....in year 2...at Ole Miss. Dude can flat out coach.

The former trumpet player probably won't sniff anything close to that his whole career.

Oh, I do blame the AD. There's plenty of blame to go around. You may think it's "ridiculous" for a coach to want to stay at Tennessee and not run off after one season. As a Tennessee fan, I don't view any other program as above ours. But that's just me.

then you’re lying to yourself UT is not a desired job destination nor has it been thus why the bargain bin coaches keep being hired. It’s no longer the 90s UT brand is down and all we as fans can do is hope that one day we’ll have that guy to return us to the promise land

But he did screw us over.

Any goodwill I had for Butch Jones went out the door when he went to work for Saban as an intern just to screw us with the buyout. If he didn't do that then I could understand. But that was petty and a slap in the face going to our biggest rival. That is low class and sign of a vindictive and miserable human being. I hope he loses every game he coaches and magnificently fails.

I get that he had bad taste in his mouth with everything and the 2017 season and what not. I'm also sure he felt like he wasn't treated right. But you know what...he got paid millions to coach at a top university in the SEC. Expectations are real and if he was even slightly professional he would have understood that is what comes with the territory. He is a former trumpet player and used car salesmen and he acts like it.

F that guy.

Yeah, I was pissed about him going to Bama, too. But I doubt he did it to "stick it to us". It seems much more likely that he had a chance to work for the best cfb coach (maybe ever) and learn from the inside how to run a program better when he gets his next shot. It seems to have helped Kiffin. Can't blame him for that -- or for wanting to get paid. His loyalty to UT ended when we fired him. It sucks, but it wasn't him who quit on us.

And all of that trumpet player nonsense is just silly, IMO. The guy's record speaks for what kind of coach he is.

Last edited:
then you’re lying to yourself UT is not a desired job destination nor has it been thus why the bargain bin coaches keep being hired. It’s no longer the 90s UT brand is down and all we as fans can do is hope that one day we’ll have that guy to return us to the promise land

Well, I am a fan. But UT does have facilities that are superior to most of cfb. We have tradition. We have a huge stadium and a rabid fanbase. Knoxville is a beautiful town in a beautiful part of the world. And we play in the best conference in cfb. We have a lot to offer and are superior to USC in many ways. And if Lane had told us up front that he would only stay for one season there's no way we would have hired him, IMO.

Yeah, I was pissed about him going to Bama, too. But I doubt he did it to "stick it to us". It seems much more likely that he had a chance to work for the best cfb coach (maybe ever) and learn from the inside how to run a program better when he gets his next shot. It seems to have helped Kiffin. Can't blame him for that -- or for wanting to get paid. His loyalty to UT ended when we fired him. It sucks, but it wasn't him who quit on us.

And all of that trumpet player nonsense is just silly, IMO. The guy's record speaks for what kind of coach he is.

Nah. It wasn’t coincidence he decided to go get a real job as soon as the buyout ended. Like I said, he is a worthless coach and it was very unprofessional. His record is more a function of following Brian Kelly than anything else. The first chance he got to start something on his own it ended with the worst record in program history at the time and winless in conference. At the end the players were running the asylum, not him.

He is more a salesman than a coach and he knew exactly what he was doing when he took a job for $30k a year.

Nah. It wasn’t coincidence he decided to go get a real job as soon as the buyout ended. Like I said, he is a worthless coach and it was very unprofessional. His record is more a function of following Brian Kelly than anything else. The first chance he got to start something on his own it ended with the worst record in program history at the time and winless in conference. At the end the players were running the asylum, not him.

He is more a salesman than a coach and he knew exactly what he was doing when he took a job for $30k a year.

At least you're not bitter.

— Finally, shoutout to Butchy Boi for kicking a 26-yard field goal down 35-0 to avoid a shutout at Washington. Arkansas State fell to the previously winless Huskies, 52-3. Go ahead and circle Thursday, October 7th on your calendar. That’s when Jamey Chadwell and Coastal Carolina will invade Jonestown and annihilate the Red Wolves on national TV.
Nobody wants to be shutout, and every defense wants to maintain a shutout. There was pride in our defense Saturday, winning 56-0.
Seems to me you are trying to paint Butch as incompetent when any other Coach would have done the same thing in that same position.

Reactions: volfanbill
Unfortunately for Butch, this turnaround caused most fans (myself included) to believe that we were back to being SEC contenders. Expectations for 2016 had been through the roof, so 9 wins was seen as a huge disappointment. It may have been the most injury-plagued Vol football season ever, but there seemed to be zero patience among the fans and behind the scenes.

I mean we had the SEC East in the bag and choked against a 6-6 SC team and even after that would have had a Sugar Bowl spot but choked against a 6-6 Vandy team to blow that. That's why it was a disappointment, because we beat UF and Georgia and still blew the East when it was right there for the taking.

I mean we had the SEC East in the bag and choked against a 6-6 SC team and even after that would have had a Sugar Bowl spot but choked against a 6-6 Vandy team to blow that. That's why it was a disappointment, because we beat UF and Georgia and still blew the East when it was right there for the taking.

No doubt. That and the Vandy loss at the end of the season put Butch squarely on the hot seat in 2017.

Definition of a coach in over his head. He skated by the first year on enthusiasm and gimmicks. His on the field mistakes and then Butch Jones Show coach speak jargons was his failure. I can't blame Jones for getting paid

Reactions: tbh and de1conley
View attachment 396283

Damn right I am. This is one year removed from leaving, after Bama just destroyed, in Knoxville, the team he built. I'm surprised you aren't, and you are on here defending this loser.

He didn't "leave" -- he was fired. And I already said I was pissed about it just the same. But he was fired. He didn't just up and leave like Kiffin did.

He didn't "leave" -- he was fired. And I already said I was pissed about it just the same. But he was fired. He didn't just up and leave like Kiffin did.
Kiffin will implode the Ole Miss program- he cant help himself it is his DNA

VN Store

Back