Good ole Butch strikes again

Butch also won his first game as their new head coach and scored 50 points in a 5-point loss to Memphis, who beat Mississippi State the following week. I predict that Arkansas State will have a winning team this season under Butch and go to a bowl game. And given Butch's record in bowl games, they'll probably win that game, too.

Butch is a good coach and he still has a bright future. It just didn't work out for him at UT. No need to be petty and hold a grudge, IMO. He didn't screw us over like Lane Kiffin, who half the people here seem to have some sort of man-crush on.
Much of the resentment stems from him riding his buyout til the last second when it’s obvious he could land a HC gig anytime. I don’t think that was necessarily an intent to stick it to UT because he was getting paid the same amount regardless no matter the source. I think it was more laziness out of opportunity. He had always worked from his young days when he’d work 2-3 jobs in the summer. He took an extended break at our expense imo.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Butch also won his first game as their new head coach and scored 50 points in a 5-point loss to Memphis, who beat Mississippi State the following week. I predict that Arkansas State will have a winning team this season under Butch and go to a bowl game. And given Butch's record in bowl games, they'll probably win that game, too.

Butch is a good coach and he still has a bright future. It just didn't work out for him at UT. No need to be petty and hold a grudge, IMO. He didn't screw us over like Lane Kiffin, who half the people here seem to have some sort of man-crush on.
I don’t consider Lane screwing us. There’s not many on this board who wouldn’t jump at the opportunity to move back “home”, for their dream job (and a better/easier one) while doubling their pay. The timing sucked but that’s not his fault. You can’t pass up the job cause it’s a bad time for your current employer because you may never get the opportunity again.

Much of the resentment stems from him riding his buyout til the last second when it’s obvious he could land a HC gig anytime. I don’t think that was necessarily an intent to stick it to UT because he was getting paid the same amount regardless no matter the source. I think it was more laziness out of opportunity. He had always worked from his young days when he’d work 2-3 jobs in the summer. He took an extended break at our expense imo.

It was chicken **** and you know it. If he didn’t want to stick it to UT then why be the Gatorade boy at Bama?

Why do people get mad about Butch collecting money he was owed per his contract? Get mad at UTAD offering him that kind of a deal. You'd take it too. Then you get to go learn from the best to ever do this? Of course you do that.

I think it was because A) he did it at Alabama and B) if the rumors and talk was true (which we'll likely never know) and he turned down interviews for jobs he could have gotten then it was kind of a dick move. Also the shots of him smoking a cigar after the UT game against basically the team he left behind seemed.....a bit dickish too.

But you're right ulitmate the problem was UT gave him that buyout. He was within his rights to collect every cent.

Reactions: UTwild82
I think anyone in Butch's position, under the same circumstances and given the same opportunity, would have done the exact same thing. The latitude and understanding extended to a guy who up'd and quit vs. a guy we fired seems kind of backwards to me.

But I really didn't post in this thread with the intention of "defending" Butch. I supported letting him go at the time. But I do think he is a good head coach who will be coaching for a long time and make a lot of money in the years to come.

lol...he followed Dooley at UT!

We had a 28-34 record in the 5 seasons before Butch. In his 5 seasons at UT we were 34-27. This included 3 post-season bowl games in which Butch was a perfect 3-0, outscoring our opponents 128-58. After a 5-7 start in 2013, he went 7-6 in Year Two and then had back-to-back 9-win seasons.
5-7 year and failed to picked up 1 yard against Vandy. He also lost to Dooley, had he beaten Dooley you might sway the Pro Butch. Again, you stated 34-27….not really moving the needle in regards to getting it done

5-7 year and failed to picked up 1 yard against Vandy. He also lost to Dooley, had he beaten Dooley you might sway the Pro Butch. Again, you stated 34-27….not really moving the needle in regards to getting it done

You said, "He has yet to show he can do it on his own..." -- without taking over an already successful program from a previous head coach. But he took us from years of 5 and 6 win seasons to a 7 win season and back-to-back 9 win seasons and our first post-season bowl wins in 10 years.

And I'm really not trying to sway anyone. You can keep hating Butch all you want. He's gone and he won't be coming back. He came here with a winning record, did some good things, had a winning record as our coach and I predict he will continue to have a successful career. I posted to disagree with someone who stated the opposite. That's all. Not trying to convert anyone.

Ultimately I don't think Jones was going to have us back to 90s era Vols but then again I'm one who thinks that's unlikely to happen anyway. And this isn't saying much but he's clearly the best coach we've had since Fulmer. I would say Kiffin but he didn't stay long enough and he took some humbling to get to where he is now.

I was not a Butch fan and I didn't care for his gimmicks and all but I mean we're hoping right now JH can even get us back to where Jones had us, winning 9 games a year.

You said, "He has yet to show he can do it on his own..." -- without taking over an already successful program from a previous head coach. But he took us from years of 5 and 6 win seasons to a 7 win season and back-to-back 9 win seasons and our first post-season bowl wins in 10 years.

And I'm really not trying to sway anyone. You can keep hating Butch all you want. He's gone and he won't be coming back. He came here with a winning record, did some good things, had a winning record as our coach and I predict he will continue to have a successful career. I posted to disagree with someone who stated the opposite. That's all. Not trying to convert anyone.
Not hating, just stating he’s not very good. You believe he is, my expectations of a good coach isn’t 14-24 in SEC and 4-6 in year 5.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Ultimately I don't think Jones was going to have us back to 90s era Vols but then again I'm one who thinks that's unlikely to happen anyway. And this isn't saying much but he's clearly the best coach we've had since Fulmer. I would say Kiffin but he didn't stay long enough and he took some humbling to get to where he is now.

I was not a Butch fan and I didn't care for his gimmicks and all but I mean we're hoping right now JH can even get us back to where Jones had us, winning 9 games a year.
4-6 in year 5. That somehow gets overlooked after back to back 9 win seasons. Dobbs saved Jones not the other way around.

Reactions: Alto1 and tbwhhs
4-6 in year 5. That somehow gets overlooked after back to back 9 win seasons. Dobbs saved Jones not the other way around.

Except it doesn't get overlooked at all. If CJH doesn't have us to 9 wins at least by the end of year 3, are you going to be calling for his head? And don't give me the "he inherited a bad situation", Jone inherited horse sh** from Dooley.

Reactions: Hacksaw

Yeah, 4-6 was so overlooked that it cost him his job. Tell us another one.

Except it doesn't get overlooked at all. If CJH doesn't have us to 9 wins at least by the end of year 3, are you going to be calling for his head? And don't give me the "he inherited a bad situation", Jone inherited horse sh** from Dooley.

How about Johnny Majors' head? Remember he went 29-27-1 in his first 5 seasons -- worse than Butch. If Butch is a bad coach, then what does that say about Johnny? Just sayin'...

Your last sentence is completely false. Did JH inherit an NFL OL? Hell no. Did Jones take over a program under NCAA investigation? No. Did Jones inherit a program that has lost almost 30 players to the transfer portal? No. Did Jones inherit a program that not only gutted its entire coaching staff but the entire recruiting department? No. Did Jones inherit a roster with only 71 scholarship players? No.

Butch was able to bring in 62 players in 2 recruiting cycles. Heupel doesn’t get that option. Heupel walked into the worst situation of any TN head coach in the modern era and it’s not close.

4th in the SEC isn't bad, though, right? In fact, it kind of supports what I'm saying. I didn't say we we had the best and I wouldn't say that. But we've put a lot of money into improvements over the years and a lot of recruits seem impressed when they visit.

But I guess it doesn't matter. We just disagree. I don't think tradition dies, for instance. So maybe we're just different kinds of fans. And I guess I can kind of understand why a fan who thinks Tennessee tradition is dead wouldn't blame a coach who made a commitment to Tennessee and then left without warning after just one season.

You remember tradition not the ppl who count which are 17/18 yr old kids who turn into recruits. What I'm telling you is being 4th or so in the conference in facilities doesn't win you any medals or advantages in anything. Due to ESPN and FoxSports everyone has facility money.
Again as far as Kiffin he did what any person in America would do when a better opportunity came about and took it. Top job on the west coast and a top 3 school while Pete was there. The only thing he didn't factor in was that he was walking in to restrictions and probation. But going to LA and coaching at USC was a much better place than a rebuild at UT in Knoxville.

If he gets us to 6-6 in year one he beats the Butch Jones bar set of expectations.

Yeah, 4-6 was so overlooked that it cost him his job. Tell us another one.
A few here want to chest thump those two 9 win years as he arrived but fail to mention the exit year. Happens so fast these days.

Your last sentence is completely false. Did JH inherit an NFL OL? Hell no. Did Jones take over a program under NCAA investigation? No. Did Jones inherit a program that has lost almost 30 players to the transfer portal? No. Did Jones inherit a program that not only gutted its entire coaching staff but the entire recruiting department? No. Did Jones inherit a roster with only 71 scholarship players? No.

Butch was able to bring in 62 players in 2 recruiting cycles. Heupel doesn’t get that option. Heupel walked into the worst situation of any TN head coach in the modern era and it’s not close.
Valid points that will get glazed over. Grayshirting players for future classes. CJH will have the luxury of the portal and I'm sure he will hit hard this offseason. 30 players left with far less than that transferring in causes different dynamics than just taking over a program after Dooley.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back