Good Article on JG at Manning Camp

So, Tennessee fans on a Tennessee fan message board talk nothing but crap about the Tennessee program and the Tennessee football players?
We have sucked for awhile now. I call it frustration, anger, and cat kicking Saturday’s

Reactions: lynnh
To be fair to JG, his last 2 OCs had as much P5 coordinating experience as I've had....

That is being fair, never understood why Pruitt hired Helton or any of hires Butch made. I hope JG, and the entire team are working to get better this off season
if they are not it will show on field, I'm fan want to see everyone get better but you got put in work...……………………….

I certainly hope the offense in its entirety takes a pretty big step forward. Its good that JG finally has a real OC. Hopefully he has worked on his issues and has improved. Hopefully the OL can actually function like a true SEC caliber OL for the first time in a long time. Hopefully the WRs can become better at getting separation and not drop as many passes.

It will take all of what you said and more , got have improvement from entire team OL , Backs, DL , Secondary, Qb every player need to step up his game, both sides of football
Vols need playmakers …………………….

None of this was ever his problem. He has all the physical tools and skills he needs to be a very good QB. Decision making. Reads. Managing the pocket. If he gets that to equal his ability to throw the ball then he will be a GREAT QB.

I have to be this guy but...what pocket? I agree with reads but I think his ability to throw the ball away needs to improve. He eats too many unnecessary sacks when he could've just tossed the ball.

I just know we are going to keep this up to the end of his career.

Sooo... for me, I am going to focus on his improvement in recognizing what is about to happen... and does he have a plan for that.

I was hoping it was going to say , he could read a defense and he could pick up who was going to blitz . Maybe by the fall he will be a complete QB

The OL did pretty good with a QB that didn't manage the pocket well and took too long to get the ball out. <sarcasm>

See how easy it is to shift blame? The OL had its problems. But some of those "bell ringings" were on JG.

Most of the bell ringings were not JG's fault. The ones that were his fault had more to do with his toughness, or being a competitor and trying to hold on to complete a pass.

No one is perfect but JG wasn't the problem.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Most of the bell ringings were not JG's fault. The ones that were his fault had more to do with his toughness, or being a competitor and trying to hold on to complete a pass.

No one is perfect but JG wasn't the problem.
He was part of the problem. You can quibble about how much goes to who... but he had significant issues in both of the last two years. He holds the ball too long in part because he does not appear to read D's well especially pre-snap. According to an interview he gave earlier in the year, previous OC's didn't allow him to throw hot routes. That's like crippling a QB... so why would you do it if your QB was capable without making too many mistakes?

If he were just good at the quick passing game, it would help the OL tremendously.

Reactions: lynnh and vols 30
I have to be this guy but...what pocket? I agree with reads but I think his ability to throw the ball away needs to improve. He eats too many unnecessary sacks when he could've just tossed the ball.
Go back and watch. Folks act like the OL sucked on every play and that's just not the case.

Reactions: vols 30
Worst offensive line in the history of volunteer football. Jack nuts we’re offside 4 times a game too.
And a QB who takes too long to throw making them look even worse than they were.

I'm not saying the OL was good or not worthy of blame.

For the first time in his college career, he has a noted developer of QBs and respected playcaller. That combined with a dedicated QB coach leaves me withholding the publishing of his book. Always had the arm and the athleticism...let’s see how a clear path works with his mind.

If on the first series of the year he get sacked from the short side of the field flattened by a blitzing CB, that won’t be a good sign. If he throws over top of him and hits a slanting slot receiver who gets into the secondary for 45 that’ll be a good sign.

It seems to me that if he's running for his life to set up and throw, then line him up in shot-gun formation (with a H-back/Fullback as an additional blocker). That will at least give him a second or two before he gets clobbered (assuming the O-line has no improvement). Cheney will no doubt try that early on to see how he manages in a real game.

The OL did pretty good with a QB that didn't manage the pocket well and took too long to get the ball out. <sarcasm>

See how easy it is to shift blame? The OL had its problems. But some of those "bell ringings" were on JG.
Interesting take that few, if any, have ever brought up on VN. Think you could do us all a favor and post this same idea, worded slightly differently, ~5000 more times so that all can have a chance to read such an original and well thought out take on JG?

Reactions: Behr
For the first time in his college career, he has a noted developer of QBs and respected playcaller. That combined with a dedicated QB coach leaves me withholding the publishing of his book. Always had the arm and the athleticism...let’s see how a clear path works with his mind.
Always pointed out where I thought JG could improve also said that I thought he could. Never felt more confident than I do now with who's working with him. Don't think he needs huge jumps in any area, just small steps in 2 or 3, very doable.

Also believe the line will show at least marginal improvement. Imo, the areas of struggle from both position(s) exaggerated one another. Meaning just incremental improvement at both will make for way more overall improvement than expected. Or, iow, WGWTFA.

“One of the biggest arms in college football,” Whitfield said. “I don’t think people really understand and they won’t know what is coming when they see it this fall.
“He is the prototype of what you want going into the SEC. With all that legendary strength and quickness and how all of those defenders shrink the field, you need someone who can equal that out and he is that in spades. You will have to guard the depth and width of the field against the Vols going forward.”

He lost me at legendary quickness. I am looking for something legendary about JG, but I don't see how he produces that with his supporting cast on the roster. If the guys step up, it could come together. But outside of Trey Smith's freshman season, who has stepped up since John Kelly?

“Legendary strength and quickness” was referring to SEC defenses, not JG.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I certainly hope the offense in its entirety takes a pretty big step forward. Its good that JG finally has a real OC. Hopefully he has worked on his issues and has improved. Hopefully the OL can actually function like a true SEC caliber OL for the first time in a long time. Hopefully the WRs can become better at getting separation and not drop as many passes.
Imma just throw this out there; The guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball never had a true S & C program under Butch. I think a big part of the problem was that other teams that did were just physically stronger than our guys, so the O line got beat at the point of attack and couldn't protect JG long enough for a play to develop, and same thing for the D line, they weren't able to get any kind of push to pressure the other teams offense. The real S & C program Pruitt has established will pay dividends, just have to be patient enough to let it happen.

Yes both.

It's a 90/10 both and not a 50/50 both as you claim. So yes, JG was responsible for some problems. The percentage was small though.
I don't recall saying it WAS 50/50 only closer to that than your 90/10.

Interesting take that few, if any, have ever brought up on VN. Think you could do us all a favor and post this same idea, worded slightly differently, ~5000 more times so that all can have a chance to read such an original and well thought out take on JG?
Yeah... when people stop posting the same crap blaming the OL exclusively and trying to white wash any problem JG has... I'll stop too.

Imma just throw this out there; The guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball never had a true S & C program under Butch. I think a big part of the problem was that other teams that did were just physically stronger than our guys, so the O line got beat at the point of attack and couldn't protect JG long enough for a play to develop, and same thing for the D line, they weren't able to get any kind of push to pressure the other teams offense. The real S & C program Pruitt has established will pay dividends, just have to be patient enough to let it happen.
Lawson ran a true S&C program. In retrospect, it didn’t emphasize overpowering strength on the lines...moreso speed. The offense then had the well conditioned OL wave at the opposing D. #Infallible

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
It's quite amazing.

Reactions: lexkyvol

VN Store

Back