Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

when i was at west in late 60s, the shoney's not far from scenic drive and the ice skating (ice chalet ?t nearby strip mall were frequent hangouts(
I loved that Shoneys, if I remember correctly, they even had drive up eating in the late 60’s. Also hung out a lot at the ice skating rink as well as the bowling alley.
After they cleaned the ice they either opened it up for speed skaters or ‘couples only’ for a few minutes.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I loved that Shoneys, if I remember correctly, they even had drive up eating in the late 60’s. Also hung out a lot at the ice skating rink as well as the bowling alley.
After they cleaned the ice they either opened it up for speed skaters or ‘couples only’ for a few minutes.

forgot about the bowling alley. didnt ice chalet also offer slot car racing?

Did anyone go to the "Orange T" ? It was a local hang out for young people at a driving range
on the right side of Kingston Pike before you would get to the Bakers Peters house on the left.
I worked at the Bakers Peters house in 1977 and 1978.

Did anyone go to the "Orange T" ? It was a local hang out for young people at a driving range
on the right side of Kingston Pike before you would get to the Bakers Peters house on the left.
good chancdee we I ate there with my parents at that time

Reactions: Vjcvette
When did the Orange T close? I know the current occupants of the clubhouse were there in 1980

When did the Orange T close? I know the current occupants of the clubhouse were there in 1980

You might be able to figure it out by going to KGIS dot org (or dot com?) and using the map overlay feature. I remember the Knoxville News-Sentinel having a hole-in-one contest there but can’t narrow down the year. 1980s.

Not a forgotten place, but a phrase. Growing up in LC in the '70's-'80's, all soft drinks were called cokes. As in:

Waitress: "What will you have to drink?"
Diner: "I'll have a coke."
Waitress: "What kind?"
Diner: "Dr. Pepper."

Anyone else experience this?

Not a forgotten place, but a phrase. Growing up in LC in the '70's-'80's, all soft drinks were called cokes. As in:

Waitress: "What will you have to drink?"
Diner: "I'll have a coke."
Waitress: "What kind?"
Diner: "Dr. Pepper."

Anyone else experience this?
Yeah, same in Knoxville.

Also all the fountain drinks mixed together were called a suicide.

And one other phrase I’ve only ever heard in Knoxville was “Take the trash out to the dimster dumpster”

Other things I noticed when I moved to Ohio when I was 16 in 1980 was in Ohio they have No Outlet signs and in Knoxville they have Dead End signs

On the radio traffic report in Ohio they called it an accident and in Knoxville a wreck or a crash on malfunction junction.

Yeah, same in Knoxville.

And one other phrase I’ve only ever heard in Knoxville was “Take the trash out to the dimster dumpster”

Other things I noticed when I moved to Ohio when I was 16 in 1980 was in Ohio they have No Outlet signs and in Knoxville they have Dead End signs

On the radio traffic report in Ohio they called it an accident and in Knoxville a wreck or a crash on malfunction junction.
The Dempster dumpster. Invested by a guy from Knoxville

George Roby Dempster - Wikipedia

Yeah, same in Knoxville.

The suicide was a must have following baseball games. Coke, Dr. Pepper, Mellow Yellow, and Sprite.....Rootbeer if on tap.

Yeah, same in Knoxville.

Yep, in Cali if there is an "accident" you call a "tow truck" to haul off the damaged vehicles.

In Knoxville, if there's a "wreck", of course you call a "wrecker".

VN Store

Back