Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Someone referenced Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Knoxville earlier in this thread. Shakey's was around in the 70's but is long gone.

This isn't the Knoxville restaurant, but it probably looked just like this one:

View attachment 188353

Elsewhere online, I've seen mentions that Shakey's was located on Kingston Pike in the West Hills area, but other people thought it was in north Knoxville on Broadway.

Does anyone know where Shakey's was? Or were there two locations?
I remember a location on Kingston pike, usually we would just get pizza to go. But my best memories were when I was in 10th grade in 1979 and I would go with my friends from West High School band after football games. I think it was not far from Sequoia Hills on the left side if you were heading west.

Trying again - does anyone remember the Metts and Beans place on Broadway in North Knoxville, across from Fellini Kroger? Any info, a name, would be great.
Did you ever get an answer? I don’t recall it.

Reactions: Ted
Did you ever get an answer? I don’t recall it.

No, no one here remembered that restaurant. I wish I could remember the name. It went out of business in the late 90's, not long after I moved here, and was torn down in the very early 00's. It is still a vacant lot across from the Kroger's at 2217 N. Broadway. The street address was 2200 N. Broadway. The sign out front of the restaurant had the name on top and a separate sign below it that said "Metts and Beans". I've searched multiple times trying to find a reference online to this place, but no luck so far.

Reactions: MAD
I remember a location on Kingston pike, usually we would just get pizza to go. But my best memories were when I was in 10th grade in 1979 and I would go with my friends from West High School band after football games. I think it was not far from Sequoia Hills on the left side if you were heading west.

Shakey’s was across from where The Gallery Shopping Center (Chili’s) is located. In the building that has been multiple bars. Ray’s ESG was one of them. It’s on the right heading west on Kingston Pike. The building is still there and has been for lease for quite a while. Qdoba and Mooyah’s are slightly east of the old Shakey’s location.

Reactions: MAD and Ted
While we are out in Bearden and West Hills, does anyone remember the White Store at 5613 Kingston Pike? The building has been vacant several years and is still for sale. It was most recently an antique store.

Screenshot 2021-05-04 125624.pngScreenshot 2021-05-04 125624.png

I have one more thing to post on this rainy day in K-ville. Do you remember the orange Pinto up in the air on posts at Jimmy Sexton's used cars in Paulette, up Maynardville Hwy? They recently brought it down due to upcoming roadwork. Here is a piece on it on WATE.com. Jimmy put it up in 1983, and it was a landmark for many people for decades.

Edit, 2/20/24: And now, here in 2024, Jimmy Sexton is dead and his business has closed. The Pinto is long gone, probably never to be seen again, and TDOT is doing the road widening on Hwy 33 through that area.

fnnbmbikcdllcbcm.png

Last edited:
While we are out in Bearden and West Hills, does anyone remember the White Store at 5613 Kingston Pike? The building has been vacant several years and is still for sale. It was most recently an antique store.

View attachment 366069View attachment 366069
I remember the White Store really well. We usually went to A&P in Western Plaza but sometimes we went to that one, but there was another one closer to Sequoia Hills on Kingston Pike.

View attachment 366069View attachment 366069

That was the Cas Walker’s right in front of the old Bearden High School/Bearden Junior High School. I don’t know if it was always the Cas Walker’s but I think that he built all of his own buildings (always on the right hand side of major thoroughfares when leaving downtown). The White Store was a quarter mile farther west in Bearden Center. It is now Food City and the space has been expanded. The building on the western edge of Bearden Center was leveled, the drug store (Henderson-Floyd’s) has been demolished, and the White Way space has also been remodeled.

Shakey’s was across from where The Gallery Shopping Center (Chili’s) is located. In the building that has been multiple bars. Ray’s ESG was one of them. It’s on the right heading west on Kingston Pike. The building is still there and has been for lease for quite a while. Qdoba and Mooyah’s are slightly east of the old Shakey’s location.

I remember going to Shakey's. Vaguely though, as I was probably about 5 or 6. I also remember Godfather's pizza near West Town Mall. I looooved Godfather's.

No, no one here remembered that restaurant. I wish I could remember the name. It went out of business in the late 90's, not long after I moved here, and was torn down in the very early 00's. It is still a vacant lot across from the Kroger's at 2217 N. Broadway. The street address was 2200 N. Broadway. The sign out front of the restaurant had the name on top and a separate sign below it that said "Metts and Beans". I've searched multiple times trying to find a reference online to this place, but no luck so far.
I never heard of Metts and Beans before you mentioned it, apparently it’s a dish unique to Knoxville. What all did they serve at that place?

Yep. We used to have 3 or 4 of the Godfather's drink pitchers. I don't know what happened to them. I think my brother might have one of them.

Oh man. I texted my mom and brother and asked if they still had any of them. My mom still has one! And she uses it to make sweet tea in...

GF Pizza.jpg

when i was at west in late 60s, the shoney's not far from scenic drive and the ice skating (ice chalet ?t nearby strip mall were frequent hangouts(

Last edited:

VN Store

Back