Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Anybody remember SNOT?

Those were great. I remember Smoking Dave and the Premo Dopes getting bombarded with beer cans behind the TVA Towers when they started playing “If You’re from Lenoir City you aren’t worth a ****”. Also, saw the Georgia Satellites around 1986 or 1987 close to where the Whittle Communications building was built. The vandalism started getting way out of hand that year. We can’t have nice things.

Those were great. I remember Smoking Dave and the Premo Dopes getting bombarded with beer cans behind the TVA Towers when they started playing “If You’re from Lenoir City you aren’t worth a ****”. Also, saw the Georgia Satellites around 1986 or 1987 close to where the Whittle Communications building was built. The vandalism started getting way out of hand that year. We can’t have nice things.
Haha. I remember the first time I went. My parents took me and a friend. We were 12 or 13. Got us some Phil Williams and the Waking Crew t-shirts and got to see some dude get stabbed on Gay St.

Can you elaborate on SNOT? What did it stand for? Where was it?

Can you elaborate on SNOT? What did it stand for? Where was it?

Saturday Night on the Town. They’d block off all of the streets in downtown Knoxville and have stages all over. Huge street party but it attracted too much riff raff and was ended. It might have been moved to the World’s Fair Park for a few years.

Saturday Night on the Town. They’d block off all of the streets in downtown Knoxville and have stages all over. Huge street party but it attracted too much riff raff and was ended. It might have been moved to the World’s Fair Park for a few years.

Thanks. I remember seeing Hootie & The Blowfish at the World's Fair Park around 1995 or '96. That may have been part of it.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Thanks. I remember seeing Hootie & The Blowfish at the World's Fair Park around 1995 or '96. That may have been part of it.

There was a separate lawn concert series at the WFP. I saw the rip off Lynyrd Skynyrd there. Also Buddy Guy, but he ran away after 15-20 minutes because of thunder storms.

Reactions: Boca Vol
There was a separate lawn concert series at the WFP. I saw the rip off Lynyrd Skynyrd there. Also Buddy Guy, but he ran away after 15-20 minutes because of thunder storms.
I saw a few shows there on the lawn, stage would be backed up to Cumberland facing north. Garth Brooks, Ray Charles, Counting Crows... don’t remember who else.

I saw a few shows there on the lawn, stage would be backed up to Cumberland facing north. Garth Brooks, Ray Charles, Counting Crows... don’t remember who else.

Either Live or Bush played there. I didn’t attend but was walking across the Clinch Avenue viaduct and stopped to watch a song or 2. I think it was Live but I’m not 100% certain.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Concerts at the WFP are a thing we miss now.
I saw The Allman Bros several times. Santana. Blues Traveler. Big Head Todd. Great concert venue.

Either Live or Bush played there. I didn’t attend but was walking across the Clinch Avenue viaduct and stopped to watch a song or 2. I think it was Live but I’m not 100% certain.
Wow, that reminds me, my wife and I had tickets to a show there, pretty sure it was Everclear, and sold them to a guy on the viaduct. Seems like the show had already started because I’m pretty sure I remember catching a couple songs on the viaduct like you’re talking about.

And @Roustabout I’m pretty sure I was at the Blues Traveler show too. It’s amazing how much stuff has just left the old memory banks. Or at least has gotten really fuzzy.

Wow, that reminds me, my wife and I had tickets to a show there, pretty sure it was Everclear, and sold them to a guy on the viaduct. Seems like the show had already started because I’m pretty sure I remember catching a couple songs on the viaduct like you’re talking about.

And @Roustabout I’m pretty sure I was at the Blues Traveler show too. It’s amazing how much stuff has just left the old memory banks. Or at least has gotten really fuzzy.
Blues Traveler, Live, Allman brothers, and I think DMB all played at WFP one summer. I worked the shows for Cherokee keeping the kegs iced. My pay was entry to the show and free beer. Pretty good deal.

Also I remember seeing Hootie and DMB at flamingos on the strip. Anyone remember Jackopierce? Saw them a few times at various places in Knoxville and other SEC towns. They are one of my favorites.

Reactions: ArdentVol

It was Live. I was there.

I also saw Ben Harper there. Ziggy Marley opened for him. That was an amazing show. Ben Harper should definitely be in the conversation when greatest guitarists are mentioned.
The Jack Johnson show there was pretty good too. I'll never forget that one. The girls outnumbered guys 2 or 3 to 1. We did very well that night...

Last edited:

I also saw Ben Harper there. Ziggy Marley opened for him. That was an amazing show. Ben Harper should definitely be in the conversation when greatest guitarists are mentioned.
The Jack Johnson show there was pretty good too. I'll never forget that one. The girls outnumbered guys 2 or 3 to 1. We did very well that night...
Man, I wish I would have been there.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack

ben harper good everytime i saw him

Also I remember seeing Hootie and DMB at flamingos on the strip. Anyone remember Jackopierce? Saw them a few times at various places in Knoxville and other SEC towns. They are one of my favorites.
Man, Flamingos brings back memories. They used to sell a medium pizza for 2.99. It wasn't good but prompted the pizza wars and I used to knock out a bunch of Roadrunner pizza for 3.99

Man, Flamingos brings back memories. They used to sell a medium pizza for 2.99. It wasn't good but prompted the pizza wars and I used to knock out a bunch of Roadrunner pizza for 3.99
Didn't roadrunner have the cheap calzones too? Could get them with the coupons on some calendar iirc

Reactions: 2EastTnVols
I ate many a large Roadrunner pizza after a night on the strip, alfredo was the best. Ho Ho used to deliver Chinese food at all hours as well. Those were some good times

VN Store

Back