Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

I miss the Hastings Entertainment store that used to be around Foothills Mall in Maryville. I bought a ton of books and videos from them back when it was open.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9296potsguy and MAD
Pre-cell phone days, when your roommate’s parents call the room phone (that thing attached to the wall with the long curly cord): “Can I take a message? She’s at the Library.”

And she was!

Probably mentioned this before. I had an 'emergency' credit card where the bill went to my Mom. I would buy friends drinks and when asked about charges at the Library would say I had overdue books.

Another Knoxville Center Mall store is closing — this time it's Belk
Knoxville Center Mall, which has struggled to retain businesses over the past few years, is losing its only remaining anchor tenant: Belk.
The department store will close its doors in November. The announcement comes roughly one year after anchor store Sears announced it would be leaving the mall, formerly known as East Towne Mall.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
They do have a new club/concert venue opening in Knoxville Center Mall. Same folks that owned the Concourse and did events at the International. First show later this month. They have Black Flag playing in January. Looked decent from a couple pics I saw. Venue is called Gate 19.

Reactions: MAD
I miss the Hastings Entertainment store that used to be around Foothills Mall in Maryville. I bought a ton of books and videos from them back when it was open.
We used to buy all of our snacks there before hitting up the movie theater next to it. That reminds me, RIP the old carmike theater. A lot of good times were had there.

Anyone remember these?

People in the theater would hold their arms up like they were on a coaster. It was hilarious.

Yeah I remember the roller coaster one coming out right as Funscape opened in West Town. It had rides, a batting cage, virtual rides, and we had a theater in our mall with a 3d opener. Thought we were really livin in the future as a kid.

They do have a new club/concert venue opening in Knoxville Center Mall. Same folks that owned the Concourse and did events at the International. First show later this month. They have Black Flag playing in January. Looked decent from a couple pics I saw. Venue is called Gate 19.
Shoot, I might have to go check that out. Black Flag has skating legend Mike Vallely handling vocals.

I went back a few pages because 39 were a bunch. I miss CD Exchange and McMillan's. Spent a lot of time in both, can you tell I went to UT in the 90's?

Anybody remember when Shoney’s was affiliated with Big Boy on Kingston Pike and you could eat in the restaurant or sit in the ‘drive in’ part and they served you in your car? As a kid in the late 60’s I loved that place.

Anybody remember when Shoney’s was affiliated with Big Boy on Kingston Pike and you could eat in the restaurant or sit in the ‘drive in’ part and they served you in your car? As a kid in the late 60’s I loved that place.
I’m pretty sure They had one like this on Chapman Highway as well.

VN Store

Back