Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Out of state developers trying to slap up another garbage development on what was once a great place. On a 2-lane road. No doubt taking lots of financial incentives from the local governments. Probably get a sweet deal with decades long tax abatements. Local politicians will bend over backwards granting variances.

'A transformative project' | Developers propose four apartment buildings along Cumberland Strip | wbir.com
I had heard something about a shortage of places for students to live. I believe the university is housing some in hotels. That’s probably what’s driving this push for this project. Will be unrecognizable when this is done.

I had heard something about a shortage of places for students to live. I believe the university is housing some in hotels. That’s probably what’s driving this push for this project. Will be unrecognizable when this is done.

It’s about halfway unrecognizable already. This huge project will wipe out the rest of the western end of Cumberland Avenue. Stefano’s, the original Ruby Tuesday, the Last Lap and the Library block - all will vanish with this huge, cookie cutter, cheap project. The Strip is gone. Victim of corporatism. Capitalism would give Mom and Pop businesses a chance.

UT is renting the entire Holiday Inn Express on Papermill Road for the academic year.

There might be fewer freshman commuter students than in prior years. They might even require freshmen to live on campus.

UT has torn down and divested large residential housing structures and communities. Married student and graduate student housing on Sutherland Avenue is now ball fields. Andy Holt Apartments was demolished. Morrell Hall was demolished. Strong Hall and Humes Hall were demolished and replaced. I would assume that Greve, Massey, Dunford, Reese, and N/S Carrick are next. Hess was renovated so maybe it will make it through to another generation. Hopefully Melrose can be preserved for historical reasons, but I’m not holding my breath.

It’s sad that student housing and Covenant Health have consumed Fort Sanders and The Strip, but that’s progress I guess. It was a slow, decades long death that began when the drinking age was raised to 21.

Hopefully the baseball stadium developments don’t destroy the Old City.

Rest In Peace Cumberland Avenue.

October 1978:

9FC4F204-1840-4570-9D60-57F39D86E1F1.jpeg

It’s about halfway unrecognizable already. This huge project will wipe out the rest of the western end of Cumberland Avenue. Stefano’s, the original Ruby Tuesday, the Last Lap and the Library block - all will vanish with this huge, cookie cutter, cheap project. The Strip is gone. Victim of corporatism. Capitalism would give Mom and Pop businesses a chance.

UT is renting the entire Holiday Inn Express on Papermill Road for the academic year.

There might be fewer freshman commuter students than in prior years. They might even require freshmen to live on campus.

UT has torn down and divested large residential housing structures and communities. Married student and graduate student housing on Sutherland Avenue is now ball fields. Andy Holt Apartments was demolished. Morrell Hall was demolished. Strong Hall and Humes Hall were demolished and replaced. I would assume that Greve, Massey, Dunford, Reese, and N/S Carrick are next. Hess was renovated so maybe it will make it through to another generation. Hopefully Melrose can be preserved for historical reasons, but I’m not holding my breath.

It’s sad that student housing and Covenant Health have consumed Fort Sanders and The Strip, but that’s progress I guess. It was a slow, decades long death that began when the drinking age was raised to 21.

Hopefully the baseball stadium developments don’t destroy the Old City.

Rest In Peace Cumberland Avenue.

October 1978:

View attachment 482851
Hey If that was the big pep rally on the strip, I was there......It is always sad when all of the landmarks of your youth are slowly torn down, but I am
thankful to see the old pictures that are still floating around.

Last edited:
They are going to ruin everything. One of the biggest obstacles in recruiting and keeping is there is no “on campus” night life. No main drag to furnish all needed things. Our students have to drive or take the “t” to get their fill.

Out of state developers trying to slap up another garbage development on what was once a great place. On a 2-lane road. No doubt taking lots of financial incentives from the local governments. Probably get a sweet deal with decades long tax abatements. Local politicians will bend over backwards granting variances.

'A transformative project' | Developers propose four apartment buildings along Cumberland Strip | wbir.com
Wow, more tall flat facades pressed up on either side of a narrow street. It'll be like the Bland Canyon.

I didn't see it mentioned in here but apparently K Town Tavern on North Peters permanently closed back in early July. Crusse used to bartend there, I hope things are good with him.

I didn't see it mentioned in here but apparently K Town Tavern on North Peters permanently closed back in early July. Crusse used to bartend there, I hope things are good with him.
Not sure if this is the same person, from Twitter.

34715B2E-8E3D-4EDC-BDFF-803915A82774.jpegC6164A31-FD59-4C72-9292-0A9F211D6484.jpeg

One of my favorite candy bars growing up that you dont see anymore is Marathon. Its was just a long chocolate and caramel bar that was woven like a Pretzel but I thought they were delicious!

Another snack I loved growing up was Doo Dads. These were similar to the Chex Mix we have today but I thought they tasted better!

View attachment 479715
View attachment 479716
They were better because they had Tid Bits!.
Loved those!

One of my favorite candy bars growing up that you dont see anymore is Marathon. Its was just a long chocolate and caramel bar that was woven like a Pretzel but I thought they were delicious!

Another snack I loved growing up was Doo Dads. These were similar to the Chex Mix we have today but I thought they tasted better!

View attachment 479715
View attachment 479716

Cadbury Curly Wurly on Amazon is the closest thing to it.

View attachment 479715
View attachment 479716
I loved
Doo Dads better than the chex mixes that we have today and the Marathon bars too!

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
We somehow hadn't mentioned the loss of the Parkway Hotel on Chapman Highway, just past Martin Mill Pike. This happened a bit over a year ago (Aug. 2021), and the fire was covered here on WVLT.tv. KnoxTnToday.com published an article about the hotel a few months before the fire happened.

It was nothing to look at architecturally, but that old building had been there since the 50's. It was a landmark. When you drive down Chapman, there is a very big hole there now.

OTS_Parkway-Hotel-943x707[2].jpg

Last edited:
I never was a student at UT but many a girlfriend were so I felt like Knoxville was my second home. Anyone remember the Old College Inn on the strip? I believe it turned into the Goal Post Tavern. Cool Beans and Tin Roof were my favorite spots

Reactions: MAD
I never was a student at UT but many a girlfriend were so I felt like Knoxville was my second home. Anyone remember the Old College Inn on the strip? I believe it turned into the Goal Post Tavern. Cool Beans and Tin Roof were my favorite spots

OCI was down there next to Pilot. Now it's just an abandoned husk waiting demo. It was one of my favorite places.

OCI was down there next to Pilot. Now it's just an abandoned husk waiting demo. It was one of my favorite places.

They turned the original OCI into a bigger Sunspot around seven years ago. The second OCI, which had previously been Chili’s and became GPT after several months, has been closed for at least five years and is now the foundation of an apartment building.

VN Store

Back