Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Nailed it. We had this great opportunity to craft a nice campus entertainment area and blew it. I was all for burying the power lines. Other than that, they really missed. And they don't even maintain the garden beds in the medians and along the sidewalks.
Yep, now all the nice benches are housing homeless drug addicts, who are doing their best to turn Cumberland into a SF sewer. The bars and restaurants kept the sidewalk hosed off, the apartment buildings don't care since the tenants enter through the parking garage. It's sad how aged the "modernization" has become before the modernization is even complete.

The Half Shell (Homberg at Mohican)
Regas
Putt-Putt on Papermill Road
Ramada Inn across from West Town
The Last Lap
The UT Student Center
Stokely Athletics Center
Ali Baba's Time-Out Deli
Athletic House
Deane Hill Country Club
Falafel Hut
Taco Rancho
The Orange Tee driving range
Hanna's Restaurant
The Campus Inn bar
Pero's
The Snake Snatch Lodge
Darryl's 1879 on Bearden Hill
Shakey's Pizza

Brownie's on Chapman Highway was a great restaurant with atmosphere and a fantastic Philly Cheese Steak sandwich with fries and a beer or two.

Reactions: MAD
Was in Knoxville this weekend and went to the crawfish boil at Cool Beans. I know this place as old Ivys. Lots of memories flooded in from back in the day of $3 all you can drink beer Mondays 9-12.

Does anyone remember the restaurant that was located in the old Miller’s department store on Henley Street? This would be in the mid-60’s. I would beg my parents to eat there and they always said ‘no, it’s too expensive.’ It was common back then for department stores to have restaurants.

Does anyone remember the restaurant that was located in the old Miller’s department store on Henley Street? This would be in the mid-60’s. I would beg my parents to eat there and they always said ‘no, it’s too expensive.’ It was common back then for department stores to have restaurants.
This was called the “Laurel Room” but it might have been when it was still called Rich’s before Miller’s took it over.
56A1C0EF-B9C0-4BE8-8534-52D62B62F164.jpeg

Last edited:
Added the photo

Reactions: Vjcvette
Thanks. Now I remember the name! I wonder how good it was since we never ate there. For a kid growing up in the early 60’s, Miller’s toy department was the best!

My first memory of ever going on an elevator or an escalator was in that Miller’s back in the 60’s

Little help from anyone that grew up around Clinton in the late 80s. There was a pizza place across from the courthouse. It was 2 or 3 doors down from Hoskins Drug Store. Does anyone remember the name of that place?

I like this video because it shows Knoxville High and I went there to night school in 76
and is was called Knoxville Evening High school

My uncle was the chef in the Hungarian restaurant at the Worlds Fair.

Oddly, there were a couple of pavilion's that I remember nothing about. One was Hungary. And the other was Saudi Arabia. I remember the Rubik's cube outside at Hungary, but I don't recall anything else about it.

Oddly, there were a couple of pavilion's that I remember nothing about. One was Hungary. And the other was Saudi Arabia. I remember the Rubik's cube outside at Hungary, but I don't recall anything else about it.
Do you still have any souvenirs from the Worlds fair?

Reactions: Boca Vol
Do you still have any souvenirs from the Worlds fair?
I have several drinking glasses and cups. And a commemorative World's Fair Beer thing that was given to my dad. My brother has a couple of boxes of our World's Fair memorabilia in storage. Trying to get him to go dig through them and see what we have.

Reactions: Boca Vol and MAD

VN Store

Back