Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

mad4vols

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
how did I fergit the Roller Derby
and what was the name of his "newspaper"
I can remember using quotes from Cas or his paper in a poly sci project in 1970 on Al Gore's failed failed re-election campaign
I went to the roller derby at the civic coliseum back around 73, we went as a night activity while I was at all sports camp at UT. Was so disappointed, thought we were going to get to participate.

Wireless1

Character is who you are when no one is looking
Anybody remember some local tv show that had a clown and kids could sit it the audience. Late 60s I think, maybe Bozo? I attended once for a birthday and was on the program, it was televised live
It was Bozo, my wife got to attend a live show….might be the reason I married her

Anybody remember some local tv show that had a clown and kids could sit it the audience. Late 60s I think, maybe Bozo? I attended once for a birthday and was on the program, it was televised live
The Popeye Show was in the WATE studio. Romper Room might have been at WTVK-26.

Ernest T. Vol

It's me...Ernest T.
Anybody remember The Bob Brandy Show. Also a kids show, but I think it was broadcast from Chattanooga.
I was on that show with 3 friends in 1970. He had a few different formats, one with a whole class of kids and another with a small group that would sit at a picnic table. It was on channel 9 in Chattanooga ever afternoon back then. He gave us a big soft drink (dont remember what kind) and a moon pie. My drink was warm and I couldn't handle it. We took turns sitting on Rebel the horse trying to throw a ball into a barrel for prizes. Nobody could hit it. The show had cartoons that ran between the kids segments. I just remember watching ourselves and the cartoons on a little monitor off to the side of the set and trying like hell to drink that hot "coke" because I was on TV.

Last edited:

Danl

Absinthe Minded
I was on that show with 3 friends in 1970. He had a few different formats, one with a whole class of kids and another with a small group that would sit at a picnic table. It was on channel 9 in Chattanooga ever afternoon back then. He gave us a big soft drink (dont remember what kind) and a moon pie. My drink was warm and I couldn't handle it. We took turns sitting on Rebel the horse and trying to throw a ball into a barrel for prizes. Nobody could hit it. The show had cartoons that ran between the kids segments. I just remember watching ourselves and the cartoons a little monitor off to the side of the set and trying like hell to drink that hot "coke" because I was on TV.
LOL! I remember that game and Rebel. There were other games, too. I remember my brothers and me laughing at the time because the "prize" for winning a game was usually a loaf of bread or some such thing from the show's sponsor.

Ernest T. Vol

It's me...Ernest T.
LOL! I remember that game and Rebel. There were other games, too. I remember my brothers and me laughing at the time because the "prize" for winning a game was usually a loaf of bread or some such thing from the show's sponsor.
LOL...that's right. I remember a loaf of bread we either had on the picnic table or that we would have won throwing the ball on Rebel.

mad4vols

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
I was on that show with 3 friends in 1970. He had a few different formats, one with a whole class of kids and another with a small group that would sit at a picnic table. It was on channel 9 in Chattanooga ever afternoon back then. He gave us a big soft drink (dont remember what kind) and a moon pie. My drink was warm and I couldn't handle it. We took turns sitting on Rebel the horse trying to throw a ball into a barrel for prizes. Nobody could hit it. The show had cartoons that ran between the kids segments. I just remember watching ourselves and the cartoons on a little monitor off to the side of the set and trying like hell to drink that hot "coke" because I was on TV.
You have a great memory

VN Store